• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canoe Espalion to Estaing

Leigh Lorayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
Has anyone had experience kayaking/ canoeing the river from Espalion to Estaing?

This would be May 2. Spring so is the water faster then?
How were the grade I. -II rapids? Any real chance of capsizing? Any suggestions on securing my waist pack carrying valuables in case I do? Is the river generally deep or generally shallow with deeper sections?
I would be walking from St. come dā€™Olt to Espalion that morning. Is it reasonable to think that I might make it in time? The terrain looks pretty demanding. I could start early, but I am not a fast walker. I am assuming the company does group runs at certain times?? Or can you independently rent a kayak and drop off in Estaing? If a group I am assuming my pack could be driven ahead for pick up of water craft in Estaing. If independant could I strap my pack to the kayak?
I have tried to contact the company but I am not sure where my message went? And perhaps they are not open yet?
I come from an area of many lakes so I am comfortable on water and have been in canoes and kayaks, however moving water and rapids require slightly more skill..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I thought about it but I have a disability in my right leg which would have hampered me in an emergency. I saw some people doing it and it does require short portages at places where they have constructed barages to maintain the water levels. I would do it in a heart beat all the way to Cahors if I could.

Has anyone had experience kayaking/ canoeing the river from Espalion to Estaing?

How were the grade I. -II rapids? Any real chance of capsizing? Any suggestions on securing my waist pack carrying valuables in case I do? Is the river generally deep or generally shallow with deeper sections?
I would be walking from St. come dā€™Olt to Espalion that morning. Is it reasonable to think that I might make it in time? The terrain looks pretty demanding. I could start early, but I am not a fast walker. I am assuming the company does group runs at certain times?? Or can you independently rent a kayak and drop off in Estaing? If a group I am assuming my pack could be driven ahead for pick up of water craft in Estaing. If independant could I strap my pack to the kayak?
I have tried to contact the company but I am not sure where my message went? And perhaps they are not open yet?
I come from an area of many lakes so I am comfortable on water and have been in canoes and kayaks, however moving water and rapids require slightly more skill..
I canā€™t speak about the river itself, but I do have some experience with canoe and kayak expeditions and used to be a certified white water rescue technician. If itā€™s only level 1 and 2 rapids, youā€™ll probably be fine, but Iā€™d strongly suggest to find someone to do the trip with you. Water can be treacherous in so many ways, but not being alone mitigates quite a bit of that.

Kayaking the river: generally river kayaks are smaller and wonā€™t fit much gear, especially not a backpack. Even larger kayaks which arenā€™t good for rapids donā€™t usually fit wide backpack, but require you to bag your stuff otherwise.
Iā€™d recommend canoeing. Put everything that canā€™t get wet into dry bags and use a carabiner or rope to tie your bag to the canoe. I usually shove it under the yolk or a seat. At rapids, there tend to be spots to pull over before and after to scout the rapid and/or portage, so thatā€™d be an option, you can also just portage your gear and run the rapids without gear.

Make sure to have a good chart of the river that shows portage spots etc. you donā€™t want to approach a dangerous rapid without knowing on which side to get out. (Another big reason for being 2, itā€™s easier to not accidentally go down a rapid).
Also, wear a life jacket and water shoes at all times, and a white water helmet at each rapid. And never paddle drunk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Good advice, when I was there it was a very lazy river that looked like more paddling than floating. Yes, helmet, life jacket and water shoes because the portages looked very mossy.

Sage advice. Thanks so much. I did hear from the company today. They are not open for reservations until April1. The ?? guided tour ( not sure - have to ask) leaves at 1:30 and arrives Estaing approximately 5:30 pm. Gear is trucked ahead for pickup at Estaing. Families do this trip so the rapids ā€˜shouldā€™ be reasonable, but it is spring so the river could be running faster. I will take your advice and canoe with a partner. I am walking solo so I hope there would be someone to join me. Many questions to ask when they are open for the season. Thanks again for your words of wisdom. No one drinks and drives in our boat! šŸ˜Š

Good advice, when I was there it was a very lazy river that looked like more paddling than floating. Yes, helmet, life jacket and water shoes because the portages looked very mossy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for your first hand observations. The river sounds quite tame, but I wonder what time of year that was or is that significant on that river. Where I live spring has high, fast flowing rivers because of snow melt, but maybe not in France. I am sorry that your leg is stopping you from doing something you would really like to do.

Sage advice. Thanks so much. I did hear from the company today. They are not open for reservations until April1. The ?? guided tour ( not sure - have to ask) leaves at 1:30 and arrives Estaing approximately 5:30 pm. Gear is trucked ahead for pickup at Estaing. Families do this trip so the rapids ā€˜shouldā€™ be reasonable, but it is spring so the river could be running faster. I will take your advice and canoe with a partner. I am walking solo so I hope there would be someone to join me. Many questions to ask when they are open for the season. Thanks again for your words of wisdom. No one drinks and drives in our boat! šŸ˜Š
I much prefer higher water, it may look a little more intimidating, but there are fewer rocks exposed. It makes navigating a rapid easier most of the time, though some rivers you can walk in low water. Either way, rapids should generally have places you can portage around, especially when there are family tours run on it. I think itā€™s a brilliant idea and am just a little envious šŸ˜

Thanks again. I am looking forward to it. I do love being on the water. I think it will be a lovely break from walking. It seems that you might have many Caminos in your future? So perhaps you will find yourself on that river. However as a white water rescue technician it may be a little tame for you, but then again, for one such as yourself, perhaps just being on water has its own magic, tame or wild.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first hand experience was in late June 2019. Low water I suspect. It was hotter than Hades that week in France.

Last edited:

An absolute highlight for us!
I did capsize twice as you have to line your kayak up perfectly in a kind of conveyor system twice and then stay balanced.
Secure your stuff!

Could you give me name and contact details of the company please. Iā€™d like to try this too!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Could you give me name and contact details of the company please. Iā€™d like to try this too!
Wish I coukd, but we walked into town on a market day with live music looking for a place to camp, and someone mentioned the place to usā€¦
We put up
Our hammocks on the location and approached them in the morning. No other details were notedā€¦ this was le puy to Santiago ā€¦ so just one of many detailsā€¦sorryā€¦

Contact info:

Www.elsanature.com
contact@elsanature.com
06 88 20 14 39
Sylvain Lietout

The email I received from Sylvain says they are open for reservations April 1.
I googled them. Some nice pictures

Good luck! It should be fun!

An absolute highlight for us!
I did capsize twice as you have to line your kayak up perfectly in a kind of conveyor system twice and then stay balanced.
Secure your stuff!
Do you it would have been better to be in a canoe? Did you have a guide with you?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back