• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Canoe/Kayak Espalion to Estaing

Leigh Lorayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
I am not sure if what I posted earlier went through..,
This was the day I was looking forward to. It was bright and sunny and calm.
Short story -I chose not to go.

River high and fast ( aknowledged by Silvain the owner). Although he seemed to think it was no problem. I was the first person if the season and the only person that day.
Launch point in rapids and I thought very challenging to get to the middle of the river as Silvain advised. The current would have taken me as soon as I left the shore.
Discovered by the arched bridge in town a V shaped cascade ( angled decline ) with frothing water at the bottom that Silvain didn’t mention, and later when I phoned he told me there were three such cascades on the river. He also said to kayak down the centre of the V but didn’t mention you would have to take the right arch to do so. With the water so fast I wonder if there would be time to align the kayak.
Whenever we were near the river while walking I took note of the current and the rapids and never saw the calm parts. Because the river is hydro dam controlled I do not know if it is high today because of that or because it is spring or both? Although the river at Estaing is very calm.
I am disappointed as I was so looking forward to the experience. I will
maybe try on the CELE.

Attachments

• EE071E6D-9F71-46B2-8BD5-3560D33DEE67.jpeg
    EE071E6D-9F71-46B2-8BD5-3560D33DEE67.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 658
Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I went canoeing on the Cele variant. I don't recall from where to where, but it was beautiful and I loved it! I think it was about 16 kms. It must have been May as well and it was a chilly day. I also remember quite a few rapids, which you would have to take by using a slide especially for canoes. It was also rather nice to use my arms for a day instead of my legs.

I do expect rapids, but can you tell me more about the slides? The one in Espalion did look intimidating to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Cele is quicker than the Lot, but, at least between Marcillac-sur-Cele and Cabrerets, there is only one slide if I remember, and it is not terrific.
You will appreciate the environment (birds like kingfisher), and the quietness, but do not except to reach the same rythm than a walker without paddling !

I do expect rapids, but can you tell me more about the slides? The one in Espalion did look intimidating to me.
There isn't much to tell about them. They are just concrete slides of about 2-3 meters (if I recall well). Not extremely steep, just fun. I don't recall we had any difficulty taking them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.