• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Carnival and festivals

michael

Just sorting out routes and possible dates for next year and there is a possibility that I could arrive in SdC towards end of Feb. Does Spain have carnival etc in week before start of Lent?
Would hate to arrive and find the place closed or full with party in full swing. ;-)

Regards
Michael

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Festivals

Hola Michael,
I'm sure Ivar will give you more info on festivals but according to my little book, the fiesta of San Sebastian is celebrated on 20 January and La Candelara (Candlemas). 26 February is national Basque day.
Doesn't seem to be anything else.
Abrazos,
Sil

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Spaniards will find an excuse for a fiesta pretty much every day of the year. Even if there isn't a national one, they'll find some local saint to celebrate with a lot of noise. I was in Burgos for carnaval once and it was all good fun with lots of costumed processions and the like, but you do wonder when Spaniards ever get any sleep. It was the Saturday night before Shrove Tuesday/mardi gras.

Franco didn't approve, and banned it.

Some info in English at http://www.auburn.edu/~jfdrake/teachers ... naval.html

Wouldn't worry about hotels; they should all be open as normal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there,

Yes, Santiago de Compostela has a carnaval at the end of February/beginning of March.

I am not sure what dates these celebrations will be this year.

Here is a picture from last year:

You will find more photos here:
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/fotografia/index.jsp
... then click the link called "Desfiles de Carnaval" towards the bottom under "Febrero" and "Sociedad".

Ivar

Most read last week in this forum