• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa de Caesar picture?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
Perhaps someone who pilgrimed the La Plata can help me. In September (2014) I started in Viseu (Portugal - Interior) and joined La Plata at Verin on my way to SdC. After leaving Ourense (climbing the longest hill ever.... - and some think O Cebreiro is difficult) I ran across "Caesar" at Casa de Caesar. What a hoot! I was so involved in looking and just soaking the place all in, I forgot to get a picture. If someone on this thread has a picture, would you please send it to me? My email is: westernkyep@gmail.com and I'd love to have a picture recollection. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, I happened in to Casa de Cesar in July 2013 on my Levante/Sanabres, and I don't think he was there the last time I went through. What did you guys think? I was kind of creeped out by him and his place, he gave me really bad "vibes" but maybe I misjudged. Opinions please.

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We actually thought it was a lot of fun. T here is no question that it is weird and I can see that a woman alone would feel bad vibes unless there were other people there.

I was actually with two men, so I didn't feel personally threatened in any sense, and I don't think I would have if I were alone, either. So I'm not suggesting that women should beware. He just seemed like a fraud to me, unlike some of the other camino "characters" who eek out a living by offering things to pilgrims. I can't really put my finger on it, but maybe I'm just being overly suspicious or judgmental. Or maybe I was just mad that the coffee was so awful and that there was a nice looking bar just a little further on. :)Buen camino, Laurie

I have some pictures taken at Caesar's taken in 2013. Not sure if he was in them or not. I will look for them and pass them on.
grayland, thanks for the reply. I don't care about him as much as I'd like a picture of the place!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was actually with two men, so I didn't feel personally threatened in any sense, and I don't think I would have if I were alone, either. So I'm not suggesting that women should beware. He just seemed like a fraud to me, unlike some of the other camino "characters" who eek out a living by offering things to pilgrims. I can't really put my finger on it, but maybe I'm just being overly suspicious or judgmental. Or maybe I was just mad that the coffee was so awful and that there was a nice looking bar just a little further on. :)Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, I do think he's one of the "characters" and I do think he lives off the camino... but it seems to me a lot of folks do. Clearly, he's a bit more ... ahhh, strange?... than most!:rolleyes: Oh.. and the coffee was bad, wasn't it???? He did have some pear schnapps that he said he made and it was right good.:)

Perhaps someone who pilgrimed the La Plata can help me. In September (2014) I started in Viseu (Portugal - Interior) and joined La Plata at Verin on my way to SdC. After leaving Ourense (climbing the longest hill ever.... - and some think O Cebreiro is difficult) I ran across "Caesar" at Casa de Caesar. What a hoot! I was so involved in looking and just soaking the place all in, I forgot to get a picture. If someone on this thread has a picture, would you please send it to me? My email is: westernkyep@gmail.com and I'd love to have a picture recollection. Thanks!

I did send some pictures to your email address. Hopefully, they will go through. They were taken on 8 September 2013 (I think).
Cesar is in some of the pictures. Some good shots of his place.
Did you ask to use the bathroom? The girls did and came back laughing and told us to go see.
You had to go up some stairs, on a balcony over the animals in the yard, into the kitchen of the house, through his bedroom and then into a small personal bathroom. None of which had seen any serious cleaning for an extended period.
All part of the Camino adventure. Would not have it any other way.

Last edited:

Laurie,
I don't think I remember a bar anywhere close...but then I don't remember much.
I am not sure how he would be making anything out of his "casa". He did not ask for anything and seemed reluctant to even take any money for the coffee, etc. He sent a couple of others on refusing to accept anything from them. We did insist and he took something from us. It was all very strange...but certainly one of the places I remember.
It was a very nice amusing break in the middle of a long hot day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry that I'm not being more articulate. My reaction had nothing to do with money or whether he's making anything out of it, it was just a sense. I don't mean to libel the poor man, and I am not suggesting that others stay away, so I should drop it.

And p.s., the next bar is about 3 km away, right after you cross an old stone bridge.

Last edited:
Sorry that I'm not being more articulate. My reaction had nothing to do with money or whether he's making anything out of it, it was just a sense. I don't mean to libel the poor man, and I am not suggesting that others stay away, so I should drop it.

And p.s., the next bar is about 3 km away, right after you cross an old stone bridge.

Laurie..
We probably stopped at the other bar, too. We rarely miss a reason to stop.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with your remarks. I agree with your perception that it is strange and difficult to work out why he is doing his thing unless it is just something he likes to do.
He is, no doubt, one of the Camino "characters" as you said.

I don't know the person being spoken of here, but I couldn't help feeling a bit uncomfortable as I read this thread. This person seems to have a good heart and, from what I gather, is offering up to pilgrims expecting nothing in return. I think it behooves us, as pilgrims, to accept or decline what is being offered, and not to denigrate. Just my opinion....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I happened in to Casa de Cesar in July 2013 on my Levante/Sanabres, and I don't think he was there the last time I went through. What did you guys think? I was kind of creeped out by him and his place, he gave me really bad "vibes" but maybe I misjudged. Opinions please.
I entirely agree with you Laurie, I didn't like my stop there (in 2013) at all, and last December I "upped sticks" at the edge of the village to avoid alerting him to my arrival. The coffee was very bad and the conversation and smell not much better. I'm sure he was aimable and well-meaning, if needy, but the contrast was great between him and the delightful person at Soutelo Verde, just after Laza, who sheltered me from the rain in his front room and gave me good coffee, a madeleine and interesting chat.

Next time the "problem" won't arise, as I'm going to turn right after Ourense, taking the Camiño Real to Sartédigos, avoiding that killer climb on the busy narrow road and, I hope, getting off tarmac much more quickly. I think it's about 1-2km longer than taking the left route to Cea.

I did send some pictures to your email address. Hopefully, they will go through. They were taken on 8 September 2013 (I think).
Cesar is in some of the pictures. Some good shots of his place.
Did you ask to use the bathroom? The girls did and came back laughing and told us to go see.
You had to go up some stairs, on a balcony over the animals in the yard, into the kitchen of the house, through his bedroom and then into a small personal bathroom. None of which had seen any serious cleaning for an extended period.
All part of the Camino adventure. Would not have it any other way.
grayland, I'm sorry I didn't respond before. Indeed I got the pictures and I appreciate them very much. It captures the place with a lot more ambiance than it deserves! Caesar seemed a nice enough fellow and I'm glad I didn't have to use the WC!! I still say he had some right good pear schnapps.:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is this him? It is from my uncatalogued photos.

Attachments

• Cesar.jpg
    Cesar.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back