Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Flórez?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
It is never too soon to start planning for my annual Camino de Invierno. So I just saw on Gronze that Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Flórez doesn't figure amonge the albergues anymore? I thought they were open all year round?

Has something happened to it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was listed a few weeks ago but it was closed for winter.
Though buried in a Gronze forum post was a comment that lead me to see newspaper article that suggests a municipal albergue may be coming

Not making any specific connection....

It was listed a few weeks ago but it was closed for winter.
Though buried in a Gronze forum post was a comment that lead me to see newspaper article that suggests a municipal albergue may be coming

Not making any specific connection....
Thanks so much for all of that information. That Spanish account in gronze said two interesting things — both that he/she knew that the albergue was going to be closed till the middle of January because the owners are walking the camino.

And also that first responders are now sleeping in the albergue and the mayor arranged for him/her to sleep there in a separate room. So this does sound like the municipal albergue is well on its way to completion.

I hope there is enough room in Puente Domingo Flórez for two albergues!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed in that wonderful little donativo Casa Rosa two months ago, in late October, it was a real treat! The owners told me they were planning to close up for a couple of months over winter but weren't specific about the dates.

The newspaper article mentions the renovation of the municipal in Puenta Domingo Florez if I have that right? I didn't realise there was one there already. I wouldn't have thought there was room for two in that town, given both the pilgrim traffic and the location. It's a longer first day than most are comfortable with, 36km or so from Ponferrada and most seem to stop at Villavieja or Las Medulas..

Just my thoughts..

The newspaper article mentions the renovation of the municipal in Puenta Domingo Florez if I have that right? I didn't realise there was one there already.
I don’t think that this building has been generally open to pilgrims, though the gronze account linked above recounted that the mayor put them in the building in a separate room from the Emergency Responders — because Casa Rosa was closed. The article also says they will be adding a kitchen to the building, so I’m guessing that it’s a facility that is used for something else now and will be re-purposed for a pilgrim albergue.

And I think it is a good staging point for those who either sleep in Borrenes and Villavieja and don’t want to stop in Las Médulas. That might be the case for repeaters like BP! And as you say it would be a long day from Ponferrada to PDF, but there are people who do it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is never too soon to start planning for my annual Camino de Invierno.
From one repeater to another —

I am hoping to be on the Invierno this spring, and want to incorporate a trip to Peñalba de Santiago into my walk. There is an albergue in a monastery San Pedro de Valdueza, which is maybe 15 or 20 from Ponferrada. I would stay there, then the next day walk up and back to Peñalba and back to the monastery for the night. Another 15 or 20 with some options for mountain alternatives in what is called the Valle del Silencio. I would then leave from the Monastery to Las Médulas without going back to Ponferrada on what the monastery tells me is a well marked 22 km trail. Since I’ve stayed in Médulas three times already, going on to PDF seems like a good idea. That’s my current thinking anyway! But in any event I hope to explore these new options there, though the albergue won’t be open if they are shooting for a summer opening.

Just thought I’d throw that out there for you BP.

the monastery tells me is a well marked 22 km trail.
Wow! Have you checked Wililoc for recent tracks, Laurie? It looks a bit intense on my topographic map. But I bet it'd be gorgeous.

Since it's mostly and gently downhill from LM to PDF, the extra kms would normally be minimally challenging. The main question would be what're those 22km like? It would not be fun to get to LM completely knackered, with 8+ more kms to go.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! Have you checked Wililoc for recent tracks, Laurie? It looks a bit intense on my topographic map. But I bet it'd be gorgeous.
This is the trail that I have found.

I sent a PM to the author of the tracks (which you can see if you go to wikiloc) and he responded that the trail “no tiene ningún problema.” There are several wikiloc biking trails on this route, too, so I assume he’s right about the “camino ancho.”

Oh, this looks great! And you wouldn't even need to go down to LM proper, if you didn't want. You can take the left fork at the picnic table labeled on the map right before the mirador - instead of the right one that goes down to the pueblo.

This would be the second albergue I know of that has (apparently) chosen not to be on Gronze.

This doesn't make sense, as they had so many reviews, more than any other albergue on the Invierno I think, and they were all positive which is a rare feat. Everyone who has stayed there knows how passionate they are about the Camino and the pilgrims. One would think they would only benefit from being on Gronze and let even more people know about them. It is a mystery to me!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have heard from the owners that they are open.

They are not on Gronze, not sure why. This would be the second albergue I know of that has (apparently) chosen not to be on Gronze. The other is the fabulous Izarbide after Deba on the norte.
View attachment 162639
Great to know, and very interesting about not being on Gronze (I always wondered why Izarbide wasn't on there as well!!). I now tend to rely on Gronze when researching/planning a Camino, so I'd also think that it would be a great place to "advertise"! That being said, even without being on Gronze, these albergues have come across my radar :)

Great to know, and very interesting about not being on Gronze (I always wondered why Izarbide wasn't on there as well!!). I now tend to rely on Gronze when researching/planning a Camino, so I'd also think that it would be a great place to "advertise"! That being said, even without being on Gronze, these albergues have come across my radar :)
A few weeks ago I send an email to make a reservation for april. I got a very friendly confirmation reply. Don't know were I found the email adres, think it was on Gronze.
alberguecasarosa@gmail.com

I'll be back on the Invierno next week (I think this is my twelfth!), but I won't be staying in Puente de Domingo Flórez this time. Long stage from Las/as Médulas to O Barco. However, I'll stop off to say hello to everyone I know in Puente, and I'll let you all know what's going on there.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back