• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Catching a bus in a small town

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Aragones, Camino Frances, Finisterre (2018)
When catching a bus in a small village, how does the ticket process work? Specifically, I’m talking about towns that literally have just a designated pickup spot, no terminal, etc.

Do the drivers sell them? Do they accept online tickets shown on a phone (no paper ticket)? While I’ll have internet access and can buy online, sadly I’m not carrying a printer with me.

Advertisment

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo (2017), Norte (2017), Frances (2017), Portugues (2018), La Plata (2018)
The driver sells the tickets, but if you can purchase on-line, they will accept it without any problem.

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
If you are walking the Camino Frances, you may wish to consider downloading the apps for ALSA, Montbus, PLM, and Jimenez bus companies. You can also consult the free app 'Rome2Rio."

These apps will show you the town and schedules for the bus line with the contract to cover the particular segment you are focusing on. Pop into a local cafe / bar to ask where the autobus stops.

Hope this helps.

Advertisment

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
All great suggestions! I use Rome2Rio whenever I travel, but various locales around the world differ on the need for a physical ticket in hand. Mostly concerned about the less-traveled sections of the Camino Catalan where we will be hopscotching along before starting on the Aragones.

Thanks for all the help! Buen Camino!

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
Walked six months ago, so this question has been answered by experience - in the rural parts of the Camino Catalan and Aragones, a vigorously waving foreigner in a nearly empty village in the middle of nowhere Northern Spain seemed to be the right combination to get a bus driver to stop! . But yes, that’s only if the bus was on a local route and not bypassing the area by highway

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%