• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CDG airport to SJPDP by train on Sept 14th, 2021

crbwatson

Time of past OR future Camino
I am flying into CDG on the 14th and will head straight to the train to ride down to SJPDP arriving in Bayonne at 16:49 and transferring to the SJPDP train to arrive at 18:11. Spending the night of the 14th and 15th at Gite Makila then on the road to Orisson on the 16th. Anyone out there who is using the train from CDG airport that day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That train trip is a highlight of the trip for me.
You will perhaps see pilgrims with scallop bedecked packs on the train from Paris, certainly on the train between Bayonne and St Jean.
Don't be shy in striking up a conversation. Plan a few questions to beak the ice.
Buen Camino!
Gerard.

I am flying into CDG on the 14th and will head straight to the train to ride down to SJPDP arriving in Bayonne at 16:49 and transferring to the SJPDP train to arrive at 18:11. Spending the night of the 14th and 15th at Gite Makila then on the road to Orisson on the 16th. Anyone out there who is using the train from CDG airport that day?
I’ll be on a train to SJPP that day too, and I’m also staying at Gite Makila. I plan to walk to Orisson on the 15th. I look forward to meeting you. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Camino adventures began on the train to SJPDP from Paris in 2013 as I rushed from station to station, then platform to platform consistently just in the nick of time before the train began moving. My naïveté was on full display for everyone to see and chuckle. I was unfamiliar with the ticketing system, euros, and French. What a winning combination, Lol!

I hope you enjoy Gite Makila. I've heard and seen (YouTube) very good reports on this accommodation. Have booked there for a late October start. Buen Camino!

I’ll be on a train to SJPP that day too, and I’m also staying at Gite Makila. I plan to walk to Orisson on the 15th. I look forward to meeting you. Buen Camino!
Absolutely!! So excited to meet up with another pilgrim so quickly. Buen camino, Chris

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

€83,-
I am planning to do the same two days later. Would love to hear your granular, step by step plan. Perhaps my own heightened anxiety is interfering here, but I am finding it really challenging to see how to make connections on time. I arrive CDG 9:30am. Can I clear customs in time* to catch RER to ??? to get TGV to Bayonne? Do I need to purchase everything in advance? Is there a simpler path? *still no response from Demarches re health certificate; applied online the day it was offered, so I'm concern about possible delay at customs due to appropriate documentation of proof of vaccine. The Camino provides, and the pilgrim worries anyway...thanks for any insight, suggestions, tips

Totally understand your anxiety. I also applied for my French Health Pass but have heard nothing. Everything I have read here says our vaccination certificates are sufficient. I did make multiple copies of both my certificate and passport on the same sheet of paper in case I lose some on the way. I arrive at 8:50 so I have a little more time to get to the train than you do. I have purchased my train ticket already and have reservations at Gite Makila and Orisson. After that, I figured I would see how things are going. Have you got your arrival on the forum calendar. One person contacted me telling me she was going to be on the same train and at Gite Makila. That one response was a huge anxiety lifter. I am likely to be a slower walker so we may meet up. Buen camino, Chris (IdaHogal)

I am planning to do the same two days later. Would love to hear your granular, step by step plan. Perhaps my own heightened anxiety is interfering here, but I am finding it really challenging to see how to make connections on time. I arrive CDG 9:30am. Can I clear customs in time* to catch RER to ??? to get TGV to Bayonne? Do I need to purchase everything in advance? Is there a simpler path? *still no response from Demarches re health certificate; applied online the day it was offered, so I'm concern about possible delay at customs due to appropriate documentation of proof of vaccine. The Camino provides, and the pilgrim worries anyway...thanks for any insight, suggestions, tips
OK, deep breaths.......breathe in.........breathe out.......

The dawn rush at CDG customs is a crap shoot in my experience. Has been any where from 30 minutes to two hours, but you will have plenty of time either way. When you get out of customs, get ready for your first walk. Follow the signs that say Paris By Train, that will lead you to a staircase going down several floors. There are two types of ticket machines, and two ticket offices. To take the RER, which I do, you are looking for the Isle de France station and machines, not the Grand Lignes, which are the TGV's. I assume your TGV is later out of Montparnasse? There is a great briefing on how to do this here: www.parisbytrain.com/charles-de-gaulle-airport-cdg-to-paris-by-train/ . Trains are frequent, walk up, buy a ticket, get on the next one.

You get on the RER heading into Paris. Depending on which one you catch (there are different types, some will make all stops, some will make fewer, and others will branch out south of the city to different locations. It does not matter in your case, they will all stop at your stop which is in central Paris. For Montparnasse, get off at Denfert-Rochereau station. For those unfamiliar with Paris, or directionally challenged, this is the hardest part. You are about six blocks from the TGV station when you get out of the station on the sidewalk. Walk northwest on Rue Froideveaux. You will pass a very large cemetery on your right. When you pass the cemetary, turn right, another block, and the station entrance is across the street on your left, you can't miss it. Total time from the RER station at CDG to standing in front of the TGV station in Montparnasse should be about 90 minutes. If you get turned around, ask anyone "Gare Montparnasse???" and they will point you in the right direction.

You should buy your TGV train ticket now. I like www.thetrainline.com because they have an easy time with foreign credit cards, and they have the same prices as SNCF.

Buen Camino

PS: I would expect you to have time for a leisurely lunch at one of the many cafes around the station.
PPS: They have food on the train, but all the locals will grab a sandwich to go from the Paul's kiosk in the station. Best fast food in Paris!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I quite understand the anxiety of bringing everything together. As a 'planner', by personality, I certainly have travel bookings (for an October Camino Frances) all squared away. This definitely helps me. I'm taking a tack that's a little different to yours in that my wife and I will overnight in Paris on day of arrival (from the US), and train to Bayonne the following day. Like you...I was concerned with timings of escaping CDG and making it to Gare Montparnasse in time. That said, train travel is all booked and paid via the Rail Europe app (which we have used quite a few times...and very happy with that particular booking facility...and noting there are a number of other rail booking sites). Can all be done on your phone with tickets issues as a barcode. Irrespective, I'm sure your travels will all come together, and that you'll have an amazing pilgrimage. Buen Camino!

I have read the number of responses you received about the train connections. Looking at my pre-paid ticket it is not apparent that I have to do any changing of stations the others were talking about, so I thought I would share my ticket stub with you. I am taking a TGV train from CDG, not an RER. It looks to me like I can pick up the train to Massey just one terminal over, a 10 min walk from 2A to below 2C to get to the aeroporte train station. This ticket seems to take me directly to Massey and all I have to do is cross over one rail track to pick up the Bayonne train. I think the RER trains are taking you to Montparnessse which is the origination point for the train to Massey. I am very much hoping my route is more direct than what the others are suggesting. Would you like me to stay in contact with you to let you know if my experience is as I assume it will be or I have made a serious miscalculation!

Attachments

• Train tkt CDG to Bayonne 14 Sept.pdf
    282 KB · Views: 6
I have read the number of responses you received about the train connections. Looking at my pre-paid ticket it is not apparent that I have to do any changing of stations the others were talking about, so I thought I would share my ticket stub with you. I am taking a TGV train from CDG, not an RER. It looks to me like I can pick up the train to Massey just one terminal over, a 10 min walk from 2A to below 2C to get to the aeroporte train station. This ticket seems to take me directly to Massey and all I have to do is cross over one rail track to pick up the Bayonne train. I think the RER trains are taking you to Montparnessse which is the origination point for the train to Massey. I am very much hoping my route is more direct than what the others are suggesting. Would you like me to stay in contact with you to let you know if my experience is as I assume it will be or I have made a serious miscalculation!
Yeah, forget everything I wrote above, its all oatmeal. Most tickets for the southwest leave from Montparnasse, which is what I assumed in my instructions. A FEW leave from CDG directly, and that is what you have. Massy is a train station south of Paris, where you will change trains and pick up the southwest line, I have never been there. I misread the original question, thinking your ticket was much later in the afternoon out of Montparnasse, my bad.

You have a tight connection if your plane lands at 9:30, and the train leaves just after 11:00. If your flight is late, or customs is slow, you may miss your train. I hate to be the bearer of stress, but that connection will largely depend on how strong the jetstream is the day you fly, and the state of customs that morning. With luck (and a tailwind), you'll land an hour early, and everything will be fine.

That connection is certainly doable if everything works as it should, and Murphy takes the day off. If you make it to the platform ten seconds before 11:03, all is fine. I will let others with post COVID experience (mine is all pre- COVID) weigh in on whether you are likely to make it, but I personally would be thinking about Plan B in case you do not. I generally book trains the following day out of Montparnasse, and spend that first, groggy night, in Paris.

€83,-
Dear, dear community, I apologize for not thanking each of you sooner for your helpfulness and calm responses. It's humbling to realize how I just grabbed what I needed from you and ran off like a self-involved teenager without at least shouting THANK YOU over my shoulder on the way to the Way. ;) I did indeed have no trouble at all going from CDG to Bayonne/SJPdP...and met several Camino angels on the train. This community continues to inspire and inform me, as I plan my next Camino (asap, please dear God)...hope one day to be in a position to pay such kindnesses forward...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back