• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cercedilla to Segovia

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
If you plan on walking this section in the next couple of days be prepared for several hours of snow and icy conditions. Forecast for the next two days is rain with near freezing conditions. My guess is it will also snow and or rain in the mountains. This will make current conditions worse and, imo, very dangerous. I would recommend against it until conditions warm up quite a bit. There is a foot of snow up there now. It is not going away soon, again my opinion. Be safe, the mountain is not going any where.

Ultrya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good recommendation! Probably the snow will still last one or two weeks more. But I think that in a sunny day there will be no problem for a pilgrim with good boots and guetres and an a little experience walking on mountains.
I have walked from Las Dehesas to Puerto de La Fuenfria and Valsain "hundreds" of times, because it is a classic for the mountain groups here in Madrid I have never followed the yellow marks because the ascent on the Calzada Romana and carretera de la República in the other side is pretty clear in good weather conditions I wonder if in a foggy day it is possible to follow the marks without a GPS.

Good recommendation! Probably the snow will still last one or two weeks more. But I think that in a sunny day there will be no problem for a pilgrim with good boots and guetres and an a little experience walking on mountains.
I have walked from Las Dehesas to Puerto de La Fuenfria and Valsain "hundreds" of times, because it is a classic for the mountain groups here in Madrid I have never followed the yellow marks because the ascent on the Calzada Romana and carretera de la República in the other side is pretty clear in good weather conditions I wonder if in a foggy day it is possible to follow the marks without a GPS.
I had foggy and very rainy day on that section in 2014 and the navigation was still easy. Actually I was kind of in doubt which route to take with so many markers ;)
But then again I do have years of climbing and mountaineering experience so that might help a bit also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Merde! I am headed that way starting Thursday, and will likely hit Cercedilla on or about next Saturday.

Thanks for the heads up...:eek:

Merde! I am headed that way starting Thursday, and will likely hit Cercedilla on or about next Saturday.

Thanks for the heads up...:eek:
Auch...
It looks like (on www.wunderground.com) Thursday will be OK, but posssibility for rain/snow during weekend. It wouldn't be that awful if you have a cottage/guesthouse etc. on the way over Fuenfria pass but it's really annoying being wet from self-perspiration AND rain/snow with nowhere to dry or warm up on ca.30km stage :(

Anyway Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just added an extra fleece pullover - making two - plus rain parka and poncho, not to mention the already packed fleece watch cap and gloves. I have experienced these conditions before at elevations over 700 meters on the Camino Frances in April and May.

It is far better to be prepared and curse the added weight, than to get sick and spoil the pilgrimage.

Also, I have reserved lodging before, at, and after Cercedilla, so I should be okay in that regards.

Will the Flechas Amarillas be visible? Is there a viable road walking alternative to pressing on through the woods, countryside?

I will pray for a warm sunny day. It will give my Guardian Angel something to do...

Thank you again for this warning.

I just added an extra fleece pullover - making two - plus rain parka and poncho, not to mention the already packed fleece watch cap and gloves. I have experienced these conditions before at elevations over 700 meters on the Camino Frances in April and May.

It is far better to be prepared and curse the added weight, than to get sick and spoil the pilgrimage.

Also, I have reserved lodging before, at, and after Cercedilla, so I should be okay in that regards.

Will the Flechas Amarillas be visible? Is there a viable road walking alternative to pressing on through the woods, countryside?

I will pray for a warm sunny day. It will give my Guardian Angel something to do...

Thank you again for this warning.
You'll be fine with way-markings as they are mostly on the trees and snow isn't that deep although I don't remember yellow arrows all the way up to Fuenfria. There are some green and ??? signs well explained in CSJ guide. The tarmac road up to the pass is always on your lefthand side and if in need you can go that way also.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you very much. At my departure airport now. Will check this thread tomorrow, in Madrid!
Drop a line and we'll try to help if possible.
I think @Pelegrin lives in Madrid and I'm sorry my Slovenian friend which lives in Madrid returned for short holidays back home just yesterday.
But I'm sure you'll do just fine and won't forget it also ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Drop a line and we'll try to help if possible.
I think @Pelegrin lives in Madrid and I'm sorry my Slovenian friend which lives in Madrid returned for short holidays back home just yesterday.
But I'm sure you'll do just fine and won't forget it also ;)

Yes, I live in Madrid and of course I can help in everything I can. But most times there are people on this forum who lives in the USA or wherever that can give much more information about accommodation and transport in Madrid that I can.:(

I am in Madrid now. Just mailed two boxes. One REALLY big one with all my post-Camino cloths and footwear, and the other to my mid-way point, to replenish my necessary dietary supplements, medications, hydration tabs, etc.

That "penalty" is 1.2 kg, or 2.5 pounds for two weeks. It helps me manage my pack weight.

Is anyone has updates on the Cercedilla - Segovia area of the Madrid route, I will reach there probably Saturday.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I am in Madrid now. Just mailed two boxes. One REALLY big one with all my post-Camino cloths and footwear, and the other to my mid-way point, to replenish my necessary dietary supplements, medications, hydration tabs, etc.

That "penalty" is 1.2 kg, or 2.5 pounds for two weeks. It helps me manage my pack weight.

Is anyone has updates on the Cercedilla - Segovia area of the Madrid route, I will reach there probably Saturday.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Doesn't look good. From Sunday on through Thursday rain/snow prediction with temps a bit below zero Celsius in the night and a bit above zero during the day...
So sorry to tell you such bad news :eek:

But much nicer weather on the other side of Guadarrama massif with temps up to 12C ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cross the Meseta in spring, they said. Walk before it gets too hot, they said. Boy, I hope the weather stays cool enough to walk for a few more weeks.

Cross the Meseta in spring, they said. Walk before it gets too hot, they said. Boy, I hope the weather stays cool enough to walk for a few more weeks.

Rob:

I am curious as to how the walk was from Cercedilla to Segovia? Weather is totally unpredictable. That said, I prefer walking in the Spring to avoid crowds. It can be beautiful, wet and muddy or even a little snow but it will not be crowded.

Ultreya,
Joe

Rob:

I am curious as to how the walk was from Cercedilla to Segovia? Weather is totally unpredictable. That said, I prefer walking in the Spring to avoid crowds. It can be beautiful, wet and muddy or even a little snow but it will not be crowded.

Ultreya,
Joe

Today was particulary gruelling. It began with an epic 10 minute slog down to the station in Cercedila, then two hours in the burning sun waiting for the train. After more than half an hour by rail, I then had to navigate the dusty streets of Segovia to find my fancy hotel by the cathedral.

Essentially, I decided that walking would push me well beyond the limits of my enjoyment -- been there, done that kind of thing, no sense in repeating it if I'm just going to resent the journey.

The weather so far has been wonderful for walking: three days of cloudless skies, a nice breeze to keep the heat away, cool in the shade. Most of the tracks have been bone dry, with deep puddles in ruts and holes, and some muddy patches where streams were claiming right of way over hikers.

Today started off overcast, but cleared up quickly. Then I noticed some bad-tempered clouds gathering over the mountains like a gang of hoodies around the local off-licence. By the time my train pulled into Segovia (a little after 1pm) they were looking more menacing: white and fluffy on top, flat and brownish grey underneath. An hour later, and they seem to have broken up again. Like you say, very unpredictable. I'd hate to be stuck on the mountains just now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.