• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF 2017

bradleyllew

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April 2017
Walking my first camino this April and I can't wait (although the logistics of packing is going to give me an anxiety attack before it's all over lol). Looking forward to making new friends, some time for solitude, some inner reflection, and seeing the Spanish countryside. BC everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino @bradleyllew, wishing you a very special experience. Pre-Camino anxiety is totally normal - and it's easy to become overwhelmed by the questions and advice about gear on this forum. The main 'essentials' are comfortable footwear and a sensible sized pack. Everything else can be figured out and fine-tuned as you go along.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome! Use the "anxiety" to plan and test. Do things like step into the shower with your rain gear and see how it works. Wear and adjust your pack to make it comfortable. Whether you use water bottles or a hydration system, be sure you are comfortable with getting to your water while on the go. Go through the items you are taking. Make piles of items you are certain you will use, those that you might use, and those that are nice to have. Brutally eliminate items and leave all duplicates behind. Try for dual use items. For example, since April may be cold, choose long underwear that will double as sleeping gear for cold nights. Do not expect the walk to be a fashion show, so pick clothing for warmth, washability, quick drying, and pockets. Style should be a last consideration. As many threads mention, footwear is the most important consideration. If your feet are miserable, you will be miserable. Discomfort will become your companion, but avoid misery! Buen camino.

Walking my first camino this April and I can't wait (although the logistics of packing is going to give me an anxiety attack before it's all over lol). Looking forward to making new friends, some time for solitude, some inner reflection, and seeing the Spanish countryside. BC everyone!
Hi, what date do you start in April? I'm starting the 19th from StJean . :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Starting point? We have a conversation running for a variety of folks (about 20, all non-acquaintances) starting in SJPP between April 1 and 5, if you want to join the conversation -- I will "invite" you.

Welcome! I am leaving on March 17th and I've got pack anxiety as well. Nice to know I'm not the only one. :D

Bradleyllew:

I would look through the threads on packing lists for ideas on what to bring. Then, put a list together and just go with it. No matter how much time you put into it, you will pack too much. I would be more concerned about good fitting comfortable shoes and your pack. If you forget something, you can always buy it in Spain.

In regards, to making new friends, solitude, inner reflection and seeing the Spanish countryside, those are a given.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
you will be overwhelmed with joy, perseverance, and perspective! keep your mind and heart open!

Buen Camino @bradleyllew, wishing you a very special experience. Pre-Camino anxiety is totally normal - and it's easy to become overwhelmed by the questions and advice about gear on this forum. The main 'essentials' are comfortable footwear and a sensible sized pack. Everything else can be figured out and fine-tuned as you go along.

Thanks, Nuala! Went out with my pack and boots today and already feeling better : )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome! Use the "anxiety" to plan and test. Do things like step into the shower with your rain gear and see how it works. Wear and adjust your pack to make it comfortable. Whether you use water bottles or a hydration system, be sure you are comfortable with getting to your water while on the go. Go through the items you are taking. Make piles of items you are certain you will use, those that you might use, and those that are nice to have. Brutally eliminate items and leave all duplicates behind. Try for dual use items. For example, since April may be cold, choose long underwear that will double as sleeping gear for cold nights. Do not expect the walk to be a fashion show, so pick clothing for warmth, washability, quick drying, and pockets. Style should be a last consideration. As many threads mention, footwear is the most important consideration. If your feet are miserable, you will be miserable. Discomfort will become your companion, but avoid misery! Buen camino.

Great advice, thanks so much!

Starting point? We have a conversation running for a variety of folks (about 20, all non-acquaintances) starting in SJPP between April 1 and 5, if you want to join the conversation -- I will "invite" you.

Aw, I'll be 5-6 days after you! But if you don't mind adding me, I'd love to see what everyone's talking about : )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bradleyllew:

I would look through the threads on packing lists for ideas on what to bring. Then, put a list together and just go with it. No matter how much time you put into it, you will pack too much. I would be more concerned about good fitting comfortable shoes and your pack. If you forget something, you can always buy it in Spain.

In regards, to making new friends, solitude, inner reflection and seeing the Spanish countryside, those are a given.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks, Joe. I think it's really more excitement and jitters than anything else : ) I have all the main things and went out with my boots and pack today - felt great! My pack is only 28L, so this with def be an exercise in simplicity/necessity lol.

Cheers!

Ah to be starting the first one again :). Enjoy it ..stop and smell the flowers ..youll be looking back on it fondly for years :) Buen Camino.

I hope to start on the 11th or 12th. If I don't meet you in the middle, maybe I'll see you at the end! Buen Camino!
I am leaving SJPdP on the 14th, so I'll be a couple of days behind you. Only going for two weeks. Enjoy your time on the Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cool, Myself and a friend are currently tossing up between starting on the 10th or 11th. Maybe we'll see you first day

@bradleyllew Sounds like there is a lot of us starting on the 11th. If anyone wants to pool to SJPP from Biarritz airport on the 10th, let me know. I am on the 1745 flight. I don't think I have enough time to get to the train station. Otherwise a night in Bayonne and first train in the morning!

@bradleyllew Sounds like there is a lot of us starting on the 11th. If anyone wants to pool to SJPP from Biarritz airport on the 10th, let me know. I am on the 1745 flight. I don't think I have enough time to get to the train station. Otherwise a night in Bayonne and first train in the morning!
I need to look up my arrangements again, and I might pool with you! I'm taking the train from Geneva, and they've already changed the ticket time *sigh* so we'll see if that applies to all the connections that went along with the ticket. Ah, train travel...Lol

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back