• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding an albergue on CF in April

maladjusted

Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone know how easy it is to find a bed to lay down on for the night? A lot of people book ahead in order to lay down but I think this takes a bit of fun out of it. I’m talking the Camino de frances in April. Can I just turn up on the day/evening?
Many thanks

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone know how easy it is to find a bed to lay down on for the night? A lot of people book ahead in order to lay down but I think this takes a bit of fun out of it. I’m talking the Camino de frances in April. Can I just turn up on the day/evening?
Many thanks

Book the first few nights then judge on the ground needs as they present themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it both ways, made reservations for the first two nights, then depended on my luck for the middle section of my Camino. Towards the end I made reservation a day in advance by either directly calling or using Bookings.com. I was 71 years old and a slow hiker, so I like the assurance a bed would be available when I finished walking at the end of the Day. This allowed me to stop at churches and cafes and enjoy my days of walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We didn't book in July until we had to start shipping a bag. Then it was needed, but never had any problems walking up for a bed before that. Most of the albergues were we stayed did not take reservations and were not full.

I did it both ways, made reservations for the first two nights, then depended on my luck for the middle section of my Camino. Towards the end I made reservation a day in advance by either directly calling or using Bookings.com. I was 71 years old and a slow hiker, so I like the assurance a bed would be available when I finished walking at the end of the Day. This allowed me to stop at churches and cafes and enjoy my days of walking.
Thanks for the prompt response! Appreciated

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lovely response. Thanks for that 👍

Thank you for the detailed response 👍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We didn't book in July until we had to start shipping a bag. Then it was needed, but never had any problems walking up for a bed before that. Most of the albergues were we stayed did not take reservations and were not full.
Thank you for the reply. I don’t think I have the right disposition to do the Camino in July!!!

Depending where you start, maybe book the first 2-3 nights. If you start in St.Jean, you'll likely want to stop in Roncesvalles and Zubiri anyways. Those are pretty much the chokepoints till Pamplona . After Pamplona, things relax. So if Roncesvalles and Zubiri are not absolutely crowded, you'll very likely be fine just walking without reservations afterwards.
(personally i would not reserve those two towns in April, but i've walked that route twice already and am pretty flexible.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks
Can you just turn up? Of course you can. You may or may not get a bed to lay down. You may have to try several places. You may still be unsuccessful on the Camino Frances in April when with Semana Santa (Easter Week) starting 24 March 2024 there will be many, many pilgrims on the road to Santiago.
If your idea of fun is chasing down a bed at the end of a long days walking go for it. Take a sleeping bag, as I do, there is usually a church porch, a shed or some other shelter. Though you’ll need to search for that as well.

Remember not all beds can be reserved. There are many Albergues that do not accept reservations but they may fill early in the day

It depends a little bit on what you're talking about when you say April. At the beginning of April, you usually won't have any problem. They'll be plenty of room. But the farther along into April you go, and/or closer to Santiago towards the beginning of May, then it will get busier.

But Easter Falls on March 31 in 2024. So right near Easter it can be busier. If it is a year that Easter falls further along in April then some lodgings on the Camino France aren't even open yet.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't worry much, at least not for april of next year.

In 2024, easter is in march. So the easter crowds will already have started before, and the next wave should start walking a bit later, more towards end of april/may. Therefore you should be between waves, which makes it easier to just wing it without too many problems.

In a year when easter is in april it might be more complicated, but still doable, in my opinion (I walked during easter on my first Camino, and it was busy, but I still always got a bed just showing up).

But it also depends on what you expect from your accommodation and how willing/able you're to adapt.

If you want to get a single room with own bathroom at the first place you try, arriving at 8pm, then a reservation would be the better approach. If you want to ship luggage you'll also need to make reservations.

But if you're okay with dormitorios, carry your backpack and (in a worst case scenario, which in my experience is rare) you'd be fine with a mattress on the floor, or a spot in an overflow to put down your own sleeping mat, and with maybe walking a few kms further to the next albergue or town, most likely you'll be fine, I think (no guarantees of course).

The more fancy albergues that can be booked via booking.com can fill up quickly, especially during busy months - but that doesn't necessarily mean there are no beds. Often when the fancy places are all fully booked for days, you still get a bed in the more basic albergue next door as a walk-in.

If that sounds okay to you, parroquial and municipal albergues is what to look for.

Another strategy would be to walk off-stage and stay in smaller villages before/after the popular stopping points, or on variants (Valcarlos vs. Orisson, for example).

If all fails, you can still switch to reservations if needed (same or next day is usually enough).

Anyway, Happy planning and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally, I wouldn't worry much, at least not for april of next year.

In 2024, easter is in march. So the easter crowds will already have started before, and the next wave should start walking a bit later, more towards end of april/may. Therefore you should be between waves, which makes it easier to just wing it without too many problems.

In a year when easter is in april it might be more complicated, but still doable, in my opinion (I walked during easter on my first Camino, and it was busy, but I still always got a bed just showing up).

But it also depends on what you expect from your accommodation and how willing/able you're to adapt.

If you want to get a single room with own bathroom at the first place you try, arriving at 8pm, then a reservation would be the better approach. If you want to ship luggage you'll also need to make reservations.

But if you're okay with dormitorios, carry your backpack and (in a worst case scenario, which in my experience is rare) you'd be fine with a mattress on the floor, or a spot in an overflow to put down your own sleeping mat, and with maybe walking a few kms further to the next albergue or town, most likely you'll be fine, I think (no guarantees of course).

The more fancy albergues that can be booked via booking.com can fill up quickly, especially during busy months - but that doesn't necessarily mean there are no beds. Often when the fancy places are all fully booked for days, you still get a bed in the more basic albergue next door as a walk-in.

If that sounds okay to you, parroquial and municipal albergues is what to look for.

Another strategy would be to walk off-stage and stay in smaller villages before/after the popular stopping points, or on variants (Valcarlos vs. Orisson, for example).

If all fails, you can still switch to reservations if needed (same or next day is usually enough).

Anyway, Happy planning and Buen Camino!
All very sound advice.

I plan to start from Pamplona 1-2nd April, and will assume that the Easter crowd will be well ahead of me.

Depending where you start, maybe book the first 2-3 nights. If you start in St.Jean, you'll likely want to stop in Roncesvalles and Zubiri anyways. Those are pretty much the chokepoints till Pamplona . After Pamplona, things relax. So if Roncesvalles and Zubiri are not absolutely crowded, you'll very likely be fine just walking without reservations afterwards.
(personally i would not reserve those two towns in April, but i've walked that route twice already and am pretty flexible.)
What a very good idea. Thank you 🙏

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back