• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chamois Butt'r

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

The ingredients list for Chamois Butt'r is a lot like hand lotions and includes mineral oil, glycerin, lanolin, witch hazel and menthol. There is nothing such as petrolatum, silicone, or talc that will actually repel water or lubricate. Mail order houses will not ship it outside of the U.S. because some countries actually require that a product do what it says it will do, and the FDA does not seem to have passed judgment on Chamois Butt'r. Perhaps substituting an apostrophe for the letter "e" is not sufficient for FDA approval.

From a review:

"Chamois Butt’r ($1.88/oz)
This is probably the most popular chamois creme in the US, and it’s by far the cheapest (less than half the cost of the others I’ve tried). For these reasons, I’ll consider Chamois Butt’r to be my baseline for comparison. It works fine, although it’s not made from natural ingredients — it contains alcohol and parabens (which can mimic estrogen and cause hormone imbalances or worse). A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t put anything on your skin that you couldn’t safely eat, and this one doesn’t pass that test. Even if you don’t buy into the safety argument, there are good alternatives that are all-natural, so why use this product?"

And from a bicyclist review:
"Regarding labeling, it's worth while to note, the FDA requires manufactures to list the ingredients in "most to least" order, i.e., if your product is 80% petrolatum, 11% Lanolin and 9% Water with trace amounts of Vitamin E, etc.. that's how they appear on the label. If the ingredients are broken up by active and inactive, same thing applies for each respective list. In some cases, like Bag Balm, manufactures don't label the active vs inactive, per se, but it's relatively easy to deduce that the active ingredient is listed first, followed by... in a base of the other stuff listed in decending order according to how much of each is in the product.

Just for comparison's sake:

Udder Butter (7oz @ $4.00, 33oz @ $9.00)
Ingredients: Oxyquinoline 0.22% in a base of Petrolatum*, Animal Oil, Lanolin, Castor Oil, and Fragrance.

Bag Balm (10oz Can @ $6)
Active Ingredients: Hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% in a petrolatum* lanolin base.

Udder Salve by Udder Balm (5oz can @ $5.49)
Ingredients: Similar to the above* but with Vitamin E & Aloe.

Rite Aid A&D Ointment (4oz tube @ $4.99)
Active Ingredients: Contains: Petrolatum* (53.4% - Skin Protectant), Lanolin (15.5% - Skin Protectant). Inactive Ingredients: Cod Liver Oil (contains Vitamin A & Vitamin D), Fragrance, Light Mineral Oil, Microcrystalline Wax, Paraffin.

Chamois Butt'r; (8oz tube @ $11.95)
Ingredients: Water, Mineral Oil, Ethylene Glycol Monostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Vitamin E, Vitamins A and D, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Aloe, Lanolin.

ASSOS Chamois Cream: (4oz @ $16.95)
Made of 100% natural ingredients & washes out cleanly from shorts

*Petrolatum = Vaseline (a brand name petrolatum product)

Note: The Chamois Butt'r & Assos Creme are reportedly more susceptible to breaking down under heavy sweating or on rainy rides since they are designed to more easily wash-out of your shorts."

To prevent blisters, a foot product must resist moisture and lubricate. Anything that washes off easily with water probably is not any good for preventing blisters. It is the water that is making the friction that makes the blister. Water is the first ingredient in Chamois Butt'r.

Attachments

• chamois-buttr-euro-back-300x249.jpg
    chamois-buttr-euro-back-300x249.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 946
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back