• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas week Camino

CaminoFrances

Time of past OR future Camino
2020 Spring Camino
Hello everyone :)

I am new to this forum and finding my way around. Lots of great advice on here.

I was hoping to walk the full Camino Frances next year (April 2020). However, getting five weeks off work in one go is proving difficult.

Apologies if there are threads on this, but I have to take holidays at Christmas (compulsory) so I will be off Xmas 2019 from 21st to 31st of December.

Is it possible to walk Camino Frances during this time with regards to accommodation and weather?
I would be starting in SJPP.

Has anyone on here walked at this time of year?

Be interested to hear your thoughts. I will be walking solo.

Thanks in advance.

Frances (yes, that’s my name!).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, but St Jean isn't the ideal starting point at that time of the year. Even the Valcarlos route can be problematic. You might consider starting at Pamplona, and you may need to consider staying in at least some hotels. Not all pilgrim accommodation will be open and short days will impact on how far you can walk per day. But if that's ok with you, then go for it!

Hi Barbara,

Yes, I did wonder if SJPP was doable especially with the Pyrenees. Pamplona sounds like a good alternative and I could always go back and complete the first couple of sections later.
Because the weather will be colder, I was considering staying at some hotels along the way for a bit of comfort.
Is it difficult to see the arrows in the dark even with a headlamp?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the Forum @CaminoFrances

Many pilgrims walk in winter. With an eye to the weather and properly equipped it is a feasible and even reasonable time to walk. Some research around the forum - trying searching "winter"- will lead you to some great advice and information.

And in response to your last question: walking in the dark in winter is a great way to have a bad time IMHO ;)

Welcome to the Forum @CaminoFrances

Many pilgrims walk in winter. With an eye to the weather and properly equipped it is a feasible and even reasonable time to walk. Some research around the forum - trying searching "winter"- will lead you to some great advice and information.

And in response to your last question: walking in the dark in winter is a great way to have a bad time IMHO ;)

Hi Tincatinker,

Thank you for the search word advice. And yes, would rather enjoy the Camino. So I will have to start and finish in daylight hours. Better than ending up in Madrid :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@CaminoFrances, in regards to your walking at night question. As you will see on the Aprinca list, there are sections that if you are staying only in albergues there may be a few longer days, 28-30km, to get form point-to-point. It looks like you are willing to throw hotels in the mix so that can help to keep to under 25km if that is your distance preference. Unlike the busy parts of the year it is not necessary to rush to your next destination to get dibs on a bunk.

The closest I got to that was waking up early to get to a spot for sunrise or to get an early start on a longer day. I will say that at times the arrows were challenging to see. Some towns use yellow lights that drown out the yellow of the arrow making them almost invisible contrast-wise to see depending on where they are painted. The other concern I suppose although it is not a normal occurrence is that businesses of one type or another occasionally put arrows pointing to where they are and you could easily follow an arrow that is taking you away from the path. Mojones, usually concrete markers, are pretty hard to miss. Beyond that it could be a little lonely and services are not really set up for the night walkers. But if you are just asking about waking before sunrise and walking on to your next destination, it really is a wonderful time to be out and about. And that comes from somebody that is notoriously NOT an early morning person.

I've spent several Christmas - Epiphany times of year in Spain over the years and it can be quite marvelous with the lights and decorations.

I’ve done something similar.

Train Madrid to Pamplona. Book two nights. Leave bag and get taxi to Zuberi (or further if you like) and walk back to Pamplona. Collect bag and carry on - probably to Logrono in the time you have. Both well connected by rail to Madrid. Albergues not 100% reliable. Hotels and guest houses fairly easily found and booked ahead. Many inexpensive at that time of year.

Highly recommended.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@CaminoFrances, in regards to your walking at night question. As you will see on the Aprinca list, there are sections that if you are staying only in albergues there may be a few longer days, 28-30km, to get form point-to-point. It looks like you are willing to throw hotels in the mix so that can help to keep to under 25km if that is your distance preference. Unlike the busy parts of the year it is not necessary to rush to your next destination to get dibs on a bunk.

The closest I got to that was waking up early to get to a spot for sunrise or to get an early start on a longer day. I will say that at times the arrows were challenging to see. Some towns use yellow lights that drown out the yellow of the arrow making them almost invisible contrast-wise to see depending on where they are painted. The other concern I suppose although it is not a normal occurrence is that businesses of one type or another occasionally put arrows pointing to where they are and you could easily follow an arrow that is taking you away from the path. Mojones, usually concrete markers, are pretty hard to miss. Beyond that it could be a little lonely and services are not really set up for the night walkers. But if you are just asking about waking before sunrise and walking on to your next destination, it really is a wonderful time to be out and about. And that comes from somebody that is notoriously NOT an early morning person.

I've spent several Christmas - Epiphany times of year in Spain over the years and it can be quite marvelous with the lights and decorations.
I was beginning to wonder if it was doable.
That has really raised my spirits about walking the Camino at this time of year. It sounds magical.
Yes, as the days will be shorter, I was specifically referring to early pre-dawn starts especially on long days.
As you say, it will not be busy so I won’t have to contend with the usual rush.
My plan is for a certain amount of walking days and see how far I get (as opposed to setting a finishing point) then perhaps two days at the end to potter around Madrid before returning home. The extra days can also be used for rest days if needed.

My concern is going off trail. I had not heard of businesses putting out arrows, thank you for the heads up.
I suppose I could use one of the Apps with directions.

I’ve done something similar.

Train Madrid to Pamplona. Book two nights. Leave bag and get taxi to Zuberi (or further if you like) and walk back to Pamplona. Collect bag and carry on - probably to Logrono in the time you have. Both well connected by rail to Madrid. Albergues not 100% reliable. Hotels and guest houses fairly easily found and booked ahead. Many inexpensive at that time of year.

Highly recommended.
Hi Henrythedog!
Thank you. If hotels and guest houses are cheaper at that time of year, I might just go with that. Did you find they were warmer than alberques?

What was the weather like when you were there?

The winter ‘non albergue’ option ...

more: open, reservable, warm, private, laden with facilities and food, expensive.

Less: sociable, communal, in the ‘spirit’ of the Camino.

I’ve done both.

Weather - best I can give is a report not a forecast. Likely to be wet. Less likely to have snow and ice except in the mountains - not really an issue on the stretch I suggested.

Go.

I walked winter, February, 2014.

The infrastructure allows you to find lodging at least every 25-30 kilometers; the cafes are open, few and far between but reasonably spaced.

The hardest part is the lack of the full thing: tours of churches, impromptu this and that, and pilgrims to every side.

I’d still go. You’ll meet some folk, you’ll share some meals, you’ll relish in simply being on camino.

Expect all weathers: mud, sleet, snow...dress accordingly.

Buen camino

The winter ‘non albergue’ option ...

more: open, reservable, warm, private, laden with facilities and food, expensive.

Less: sociable, communal, in the ‘spirit’ of the Camino.

I’ve done both.

Weather - best I can give is a report not a forecast. Likely to be wet. Less likely to have snow and ice except in the mountains - not really an issue on the stretch I suggested.

Yes, that route looks good especially with ease of getting there.
I’m erring towards reservable, warm and food given it will be a winter trip but as many people say about the Camino, be willing to change your plans!

Go.

I walked winter, February, 2014.

The infrastructure allows you to find lodging at least every 25-30 kilometers; the cafes are open, few and far between but reasonably spaced.

The hardest part is the lack of the full thing: tours of churches, impromptu this and that, and pilgrims to every side.

I’d still go. You’ll meet some folk, you’ll share some meals, you’ll relish in simply being on camino.

Expect all weathers: mud, sleet, snow...dress accordingly.

Buen camino
Hi nycwalking,
Thank you for your encouraging words!

Yes, I had considered that. I’m hoping to walk the full Camino Frances so hopefully I will get back next summer and experience the full thing.
Did you walk solo?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi nycwalking,
Thank you for your encouraging words!

Yes, I had considered that. I’m hoping to walk the full Camino Frances so hopefully I will get back next summer and experience the full thing.
Did you walk solo?

Yes.

But, even though few pilgrims are out, it’s hard to truly be alone, unless you wish to be.

Buen camino.

Hi Frances, my family will be a couple of days ahead of you :) Here is a link to a wonderful blog of an Aussie lady (a member here) who walked around the same time (a few years earlier). Its a wonderful read and I am sure you will find it insightful. I would be happy to keep in touch via private message.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.