• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2017

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2017?
Buen Camino
Arn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Let me be the first :) My wife and I were already talking about going back for our 30th anniversary. Let's make it official right now :D Now to decide when to go. We went in mid August to mid September in 2013. Other than being hot, no rain to speak of for 30+ days. It was awesome !!! Any suggestions/preferences for another time of the year (no winters, live in a cold region in the winter already!!)

Let me be the second to join the class of 2017! We plan to leave in mid-September and do only the first half of the trail in 2017. Will return the following year to do the second half. Suggestions from anyone on this strategy? What's the best location to use as a mid point that facilitates easy transportation off the trail….and reentry at the same place the following year?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Me three! I will be 60 years old in 2017. I love walking in the autumn months but will negotiate with my boss to get the longest time off that I can.
Will finish the Frances from Burgos if I do the Portugese in 2016? Or the other way round.
All I do know for sure is that I will be on camino in 2017, it's in my blood now!
Sarah

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Buen Camino
Arn
Have just returned from C/P,my third Camino.Family and friends do not "get" Caminoitis,and I have just told them that,God willing,I want to celebrate my 70th birthday on the Camino in 2017,so will add my name to the list.

Hi Everyone! I've wanted to do this for a very long time and I've finally decided that my Camino will start in mid September 2017. Right now I'm saving up the money and the PTO so that I can be gone for about six weeks.

I've been to Europe (mostly the UK) several times but never to Spain. At this point, I plan to fly to Barcelona and take the train to Pamplona. I'm an older pilgrim so I plan to do a mixture of the pilgrim hostels and budget hotels. My main form of transportation at home is my feet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Everyone! I've wanted to do this for a very long time and I've finally decided that my Camino will start in mid September 2017. Right now I'm saving up the money and the PTO so that I can be gone for about six weeks.

I've been to Europe (mostly the UK) several times but never to Spain. At this point, I plan to fly to Barcelona and take the train to Pamplona. I'm an older pilgrim so I plan to do a mixture of the pilgrim hostels and budget hotels. My main form of transportation at home is my feet.
Hello and welcome, you will do fine and have a great time on the camino. I wish you well on your journey to Santiago de Compostela. Buen Camino, Peter.

I've wanted to do this for a very long time and I've finally decided that my Camino will start in mid September 2017.

Hi Portland Pippa! My first Camino is scheduled for September 2017 as well. So happy to have you officially join the class of '15. I'm a "mature" pilgrim also…and there are many of us…so you are in good company! :) You'll do great!!

Let me be the first :) My wife and I were already talking about going back for our 30th anniversary. Let's make it official right now :D Now to decide when to go. We went in mid August to mid September in 2013. Other than being hot, no rain to speak of for 30+ days. It was awesome !!! Any suggestions/preferences for another time of the year (no winters, live in a cold region in the winter already!!)
Hello , my wife and I will walk the Camino Portugues from Porto next year from mid September it's also our 30th anniversary. It's our 3th time that we are coming back.
I wish you a great anniversary on the Camino and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We will finally finish the French Camino in 2017. We started in 2013 from SJPP and have been doing it in stages ever since. then we will probably start it all over again! M
Hello Muire, it will be a great feeling when you arrive at the square before the cathedral.
Wish you a happy end off your journey.
Buen Camino, Peter.

Wish you happy planning and training for your journey.
Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me three! I will be 60 years old in 2017. I love walking in the autumn months but will negotiate with my boss to get the longest time off that I can.
Will finish the Frances from Burgos if I do the Portugese in 2016? Or the other way round.
All I do know for sure is that I will be on camino in 2017, it's in my blood now!
Sarah
Hi Sarah, when God willing I will walk the Norte and the Primitivo in April /May of 2017. And next year I walk with my wife from Porto to Santiago. It's our third.
Sarah, I wish you all the best for the coming years and more great walkes.
Buen Camino, Peter.

I will also be 60 years old in 2017 and walking my first Camino ever! I decided this spring as I was nearing 58 years old that I wanted to do something for myself to celebrate my 60th birthday and to make a declaration of living life to it's fullest in this stage of life. My walk is about being strong, healthy, vibrant and adventurous. It is also very much a spiritual walk. I will either begin mid-May or mid-September. Would love input on these dates. My husband will walk some if not all of it with me and possibly our son. I think about my walk daily and look forward to it with great anticipation!

I will also be 60 years old in 2017 and walking my first Camino ever! I decided this spring as I was nearing 58 years old that I wanted to do something for myself to celebrate my 60th birthday and to make a declaration of living life to it's fullest in this stage of life. My walk is about being strong, healthy, vibrant and adventurous. It is also very much a spiritual walk. I will either begin mid-May or mid-September. Would love input on these dates. My husband will walk some if not all of it with me and possibly our son. I think about my walk daily and look forward to it with great anticipation!
Hi and welcome to this wonderful forum, I walked this year in April /May and I found it great. However my wife walked her Camino Frances in Augustus/September 2013 and she loved it to. Well it's mabe not the answer you want but I think that every time of the year has something nice.
Wish you all well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And I will be walking in 2017 if all goes according to plan!!! Along with my partner as his health improves :)
Welcome Rosalind on this wonderful forum where you can find all your answers you mabe have.
2017 will be great for you walking the Camino Frances.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a new member, retiring at the end of 2016. My husband and I plan to walk our first Camino Frances in September 2017. By then I'll be 62, and he'll be 67. Both in excellent health and love to hike. We're already excited, and doing lots of research and planning, and it's still two whole years away!!

Hey there! my name is Tal, Im 25 and from Israel.

I just finished walking from ponferrada to santiago and I would like to come back and walk a longer route around July/August of 2017 once I finish my BA.

I am not a regular walker, and I actually ended up with Tendonitis after this walk because I took it a little too fast and too far, but I will train properly for the next one and take it easy once Im there ;)

I thought about walking from st. jean to Leon, and then take on the Camino San Salvador and the Primitivo, and finish in Fisterra, which will make it around 1000 Km. I guess that with easy walking it should take around two months time.

Will be happy to schadule with other people who would like to take the same route and are "couch potatos" like myself who have ideas for training for it, and how to walk once you are there!

Buen Camino y' Ultreia...!

I'm a new member, retiring at the end of 2016. My husband and I plan to walk our first Camino Frances in September 2017. By then I'll be 62, and he'll be 67. Both in excellent health and love to hike. We're already excited, and doing lots of research and planning, and it's still two whole years away!!
Hi and welcome to this wonderful forum.
According to my wife is it a nice time of the year to walk the Camino.
Wish you happy planning and researching for your journey.
Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
Arn
I am from NZ and in 2017 I will be 65. My eldest daughter passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in 2010 and she would have been 45 in 2017 ( yes I was a young Mum:) She and I had planned to walk the Pyrenees together some time and the Camino de Santiago seems a fitting place for me to start walking in her memory. I am very excited and every day I read and research about the Camino. Yay!!!

I am from NZ and in 2017 I will be 65. My eldest daughter passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in 2010 and she would have been 45 in 2017 ( yes I was a young Mum:) She and I had planned to walk the Pyrenees together some time and the Camino de Santiago seems a fitting place for me to start walking in her memory. I am very excited and every day I read and research about the Camino. Yay!!!
Hi, I find it great that you you walk the Camino Frances in her memory. I think it will be very emotionally some times.
I say this, because it was for my wife very emotional during her Camino Frances in 2013 just after her sister past away.
I wish you all the best on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen Camino
Arn

Buen Camino
Arn
I am aiming for the spring of 2017, end of april ??

I am still researching when to go in 2017. I plan to walk the El Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago so I am expecting to be away 2 months. My first thought was May June but my research currently indicates it is very busy and difficult to get accommodation (At my tender age, I will need to be confident of accommodation at night) so I may go June July or July August as it is winter then here in NZ. Any thoughts from those of you who are seasoned Camino pilgrims? I am so inspired by those travellers who have walked the Camino - the willingness to share information and allay concerns is incredibly heartwarming.

I am still researching when to go in 2017. I plan to walk the El Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago so I am expecting to be away 2 months. My first thought was May June but my research currently indicates it is very busy and difficult to get accommodation (At my tender age, I will need to be confident of accommodation at night) so I may go June July or July August as it is winter then here in NZ. Any thoughts from those of you who are seasoned Camino pilgrims? I am so inspired by those travellers who have walked the Camino - the willingness to share information and allay concerns is incredibly heartwarming.

Hey Camino4Bon, I'm not sure, but think that busy months in the Camino are actually July to end of August, when the Spanish are in holidays. Im thinking about May to July myself in 2017!

Hi, I walked this year from 18th of April till the 24th of May. I had no problems finding accommodation.

I walked in Sept-Oct 2014 and it was really great walking temperatures, plus no problems at all finding beds along the way. I am hoping to go again in 2017, thinking May and June-ish, but I'd really like to see the sunflowers in bloom... can anyone tell me when is the best time for this? Thanks!

I walked in Sept-Oct 2014 and it was really great walking temperatures, plus no problems at all finding beds along the way. I am hoping to go again in 2017, thinking May and June-ish, but I'd really like to see the sunflowers in bloom... can anyone tell me when is the best time for this? Thanks!
Hi, my wife walked her Camino Frances in late August and September 2013 and at that time there where sunflowers.
Wish you well, Peter.

Hi Peregrinos!

I will walk Camino Francés in Spring 2017! I walked it once in 2014, but Camino is a drug for me and I need another dose.. :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Writing from Virginia, in the US just outside of Washington, DC, I am considering walking the Camino Frances in the spring of 2017. My husband retires at 70 (I'm 56) in November of 2016, but is uncertain of his ability/desire due to injuries from an accident in 2008. Also, we have a disabled son whose independence needs to develop a bit more to make this possible, but we won't be around forever anyway so no time like the present!
All told, it's uncertain, but the only way I can think to proceed is to go ahead and prepare, finding ways to make it happen. I think that will be an excellent journey in itself.

Last edited:
I hope to return to the camino when I turn 50, less than 2 years from. now. Probably aiming for a late September start after the worst of the summer heat has gone.

My back has deteriorated to the point that I may not be able to carry a backpack, but we will see.

We were in La Rioja last year during mid-September. There were sunflowers all around!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello! First post here :) I am planning to quit my corporate job in August 2017 and kick off what will hopefully be 6 months of travel with a long walk along Camino del Norte. In the very early stages of planning, so of course may choose another route as I get further along in the research. So glad to have found this amazing forum!

Hello! First post here :) I am planning to quit my corporate job in August 2017 and kick off what will hopefully be 6 months of travel with a long walk along Camino del Norte. In the very early stages of planning, so of course may choose another route as I get further along in the research. So glad to have found this amazing forum!
Hi, wish you happy planning and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sarah
Hello all. I plan to do the CDS Frances starting in late April 2017. I just retired - no schedules to worry about so I will just take my time. I have already been working the 40 years of rust out of my system and will be ready to roll in 2017. Looking forward to it. Buen Camino, Bill (California) Just a quick add: My 27 year old daughter will be accompanying me for the first week. She is super excited to be part of this adventure.

Last edited:
Greetings from Idaho, USA! I am in the early stages of planning my first Camino, looking at Fall 2017. I am here to learn and be inspired by all of you! I am considering the Camino Frances, however, I am feeling pulled to the Northern route. Many details to work out, the first hurdle being how much time from work I can allot for my journey; I am hoping for at least 35-40 days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Bluebird! Isn't this a super site for CDS information? Good luck on getting your days off. I just retired so I no longer have those pressures. The northern route looks interesting but for my first - I kind of want to go the Frances route. Whichever way you go I am sure it will be an experience of a lifetime. My wife and I will be RV'ing this summer in UT, Col, Wyo, Mont, Idaho, and Washington. We're looking forward to it. You live in beautiful country. Buen Camino, Bill

My husband and I are in the midst of planning our first Camino for the summer of 2017. We are both elementary teachers, planning on leaving mid June, and allotting 40 days (well, at least that's the plan so far). We are avid backpackers/hikers, but the Camino has been calling to us for some time. We have never been to Spain, and my husband has never been to Europe.

Right now we have been researching the best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from the Seattle, WA area. Do we drive up to Vancouver B.C. and fly from there (less $ because of exchange rate) and then decide what route to go? There are so many decisions and options. It will be an exciting year for planning, and we look forward to using this forum as much as possible.

Greetings from Idaho, USA! I am in the early stages of planning my first Camino, looking at Fall 2017. I am here to learn and be inspired by all of you! I am considering the Camino Frances, however, I am feeling pulled to the Northern route. Many details to work out, the first hurdle being how much time from work I can allot for my journey; I am hoping for at least 35-40 days.
Hi, welcome to this wonderful forum.
Happy planning and a Buen Camino, Peter.

My husband and I are in the midst of planning our first Camino for the summer of 2017. We are both elementary teachers, planning on leaving mid June, and allotting 40 days (well, at least that's the plan so far). We are avid backpackers/hikers, but the Camino has been calling to us for some time. We have never been to Spain, and my husband has never been to Europe.

Right now we have been researching the best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from the Seattle, WA area. Do we drive up to Vancouver B.C. and fly from there (less $ because of exchange rate) and then decide what route to go? There are so many decisions and options. It will be an exciting year for planning, and we look forward to using this forum as much as possible.
Wish the both of you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hola, In September 2015 I cycled from Pamplona to SDC so now I want to walk the bits I missed and also the places I cycled past as the down hill overtook the pilgrim. So on or about 3 May 2017 I shall step (boldly) out of St Jean with the aim to walk to Villafranca Montes de Oca and then take a bus to Burgos. I cycled this part last year and have real desire (or need) to walk it. But I WILL WALK the Meseta to Leon and on to Triacastela. From there I am undecided as I really wish to avoid the crowds from Sarria so maybe I will backtrack to Ponferrada and find another Camino (Norte or Primitivo and maybe the Ingles) to Santiago. No finishing date - see what happens in June 2017. Buen Camino!!

Hi Everyone!

I am doing my first Camino in April 2017 shortly after my 30th birthday. I really have very little idea of what I am doing. So far my plans include flying out of Montreal into Paris and then taking whatever train I need to to get where I need to be...

I have lots of time to plan, right?

I will be doing the journey alone, I thought of taking my best friend but I don't think if we go together that what "should" happen will happen.

Wish me luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Everyone!

I am doing my first Camino in April 2017 shortly after my 30th birthday. I really have very little idea of what I am doing. So far my plans include flying out of Montreal into Paris and then taking whatever train I need to to get where I need to be...

I will be doing the journey alone, I thought of taking my best friend but I don't think if we go together that what "should" happen will happen.

Wish me luck!
Wish you luck.:cool:
All the information you need you can find or ask here.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

An excellent site to plan all sorts of travels is http://www.rome2rio.com/ Flights tend to be the cheapest ~3 months before departure, so yes, you have lots of time ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Thank you so much I will for sure check it out! I checked flights last night out of curiosity on skyscanner and it looks like right now it would be about 700 to Paris so I imagine that will go WAYYYYY up and then down at some point. I created mad price alerts!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Long hard process to come to the conclusion that I will not be doing a second camino walk in 2017. :( I just can't justify the expense. I'm still in debt from last year's journey. My husband says that I shouldn't give up hope and that I should keep planning for it, but I can't see it working. So I'm kind of heartbroken right now. It was definitely not the decision I wanted to make.
Considering a second Camino. July/Aug 2017. I don't know if I'll do del Norte again, or go the Portugese coastal route. Still deciding. :)

Hi Everyone!

I am doing my first Camino in April 2017 shortly after my 30th birthday. I really have very little idea of what I am doing. So far my plans include flying out of Montreal into Paris and then taking whatever train I need to to get where I need to be... I have lots of time to plan, right? I will be doing the journey alone, I thought of taking my best friend but I don't think if we go together that what "should" happen will happen. Wish me luck!
Jayne - you will have more than wishes of "luck"; you will have love and best wishes from many on this Forum and on the road you will meet Pilgrims/travellers from just about every country on this earth - some of them might even become your new life long friends. As for planning - maybe accommodation in St Jean (even two nights to get over the jet lag and have a little exploring time) and then maybe in Orisson/Valcarlos or Roncesvalles depending upon which route you take out of the St Jean. From then on - let the road take you where it will. Buen Camino. :):):Do_O

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jayne - you will have more than wishes of "luck"; you will have love and best wishes from many on this Forum and on the road you will meet Pilgrims/travellers from just about every country on this earth - some of them might even become your new life long friends. As for planning - maybe accommodation in St Jean (even two nights to get over the jet lag and have a little exploring time) and then maybe in Orisson/Valcarlos or Roncesvalles depending upon which route you take out of the St Jean. From then on - let the road take you where it will. Buen Camino. :):):Do_O

Merck beaucoup for these very kind words! Thank you for the stopover in St Jean suggestion I was thinking about the jet lag recovery. I'll look into my options for sure.

Hello all! I thought my first post should be an introduction. My wife and I are from the Philippines and are planning to do our first Camino in April 2017 as a way of celebrating my turning 50 next year. We will be doing the last leg of the Camino Portugues from Tui.

I'm a new member and newly retired. I've thought about doing this for a few years but now that I 'm retired, there is nothing holding me back. I plan to walk Camino Frances in September 2017. I'll be a young 63. I'm looking forward to the challenge and the experience of the pilgrimage.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!
I'm Dimitris from Greece and I'll do my first camino in 2017. I don't know yet the exact dates but I think it would be in April. For sure I'll start from St. Jean and end in Finistere (I hope) For the moment, lot of reading in forum (thank you all for the information) and searching maps.

Hi, John from Devon in the UK. I will be 65 next week and I retire tomorrow. Getting excited about planning my first Camino (St Jean to Santiago D C) and aiming to start towards the end of April 2017. Now that I have put this entry on the Forum I feel I have taken the first step.

hello, ive planned my first camino frances for late september - i planned it that late due to financial planning rather than any signifcant milestone. i will be doing it solo as no one thinks liek me (in my circle of friends) - i love spain after spending some time in barcelona and madrid, and i was looking at going back in 2017 so thought i'd do the camino frances (sarria TO santiago) as a starter to my travelling around spain. very nervous but plenty of time to get use to the idea

Like this year we plan on walking some sections of the Camino, probably the Norte between Santander and Villaviciosa. We will then go inland with our car to explore other places, hopefully finding more walking as we go.
[Edit:-
Current thinking is to walk near Celorio-Ribadasella; head for the area around Cangas del Narcea (bear country); head down towards Ponferrada and see the Frances; return to Cangas del Narcea itself then out to the area around Pola de Lena to see the church at Sta Cristina and the Salvador near Puerto del Pajares.
Yes - we will have the car as well as walking sections, but using pensions/hotels not albergues. Still pilgrims at heart and it keeps us aware of the spirit of the Camino]
Hi, John from Devon in the UK. I will be 65 next week and I retire tomorrow. Getting excited about planning my first Camino (St Jean to Santiago D C) and aiming to start towards the end of April 2017. Now that I have put this entry on the Forum I feel I have taken the first step.
Welcome John. Several of us live in Devon and we meet occasionally in or near Exeter, with folk too from further afield. You might like to watch the 'Camigos' thread for any future date.

Last edited:
I have decided to walk all the way next year. Leaving Oslo 19. may, and planning to use 35- 40 days. Right now I enjoy planning and reading about the camino. Also learning a bit spanish. Doing this on my own, a bit nervous. Looking forward to a walk to remember, meeting a lot of people but also have time to myself.

The plan is to leave SJPP on April 15, 2017. Want to do the Valcarlos route this time. If not completely waterlogged, will continue on to Finisterre.

€46,-
hello, ive planned my first camino frances for late september - i planned it that late due to financial planning rather than any signifcant milestone. i will be doing it solo as no one thinks liek me (in my circle of friends) - i love spain after spending some time in barcelona and madrid, and i was looking at going back in 2017 so thought i'd do the camino frances (sarria TO santiago) as a starter to my travelling around spain. very nervous but plenty of time to get use to the idea
Being nervous is normal but when you begin your journey that will go away.
Making new friendships along the way.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

My hope is to join class of - 17. I will turn 50 in September next year and cannot think of a better way to celebrate my birthday.
Until then I will take part of your shared experiences and advices here on the forum. Much appreciated <3

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino
Arn
Yep. I'm planning to start from Le Puy in early March '17 and make gentle steady progress to reach Compostella by about mid June. Basic plan is to walk 10 miles a day and take a day off once a week. I want to enjoy the scenery, the food, the random companionship of other pilgrims and that of my French and Spanish hosts along the way, and the elemental, rythmic pleasure of putting one foot in front of the other. I'm not setting a deadline or 'intermediate goals'. I'm not looking forward to missing my family, my dog Django and the scents and sensations of the English countryside in Spring; nor am I chuffed about my shameful ignorance of Spanish.

Yep. I'm planning to start from Le Puy in early March '17 and make gentle steady progress to reach Compostella by about mid June. Basic plan is to walk 10 miles a day and take a day off once a week. I want to enjoy the scenery, the food, the random companionship of other pilgrims and that of my French and Spanish hosts along the way, and the elemental, rythmic pleasure of putting one foot in front of the other. I'm not setting a deadline or 'intermediate goals'. I'm not looking forward to missing my family, my dog Django and the scents and sensations of the English countryside in Spring; nor am I chuffed about my shameful ignorance of Spanish.

Welcome to the forum and its virtual pilgrims hostel ;-) @Harry Benyon ! We leave some things behind to discover others ... Buen Camino, SY

Hello. I have been dreaming about the Camino and visiting this site for years. Today I finally have the courage to take my first step on my pilgrimage by declaring myself a member of the class of 2017. I have set a date of September 1st and plan to take 40 days to walk. I am interested in the Norte, but feel that for my first I may want to walk the Frances. Any thoughts would be welcome. FYI: I will be celebrating my upcoming 50th birthday then. I look forward to getting to know you and hopefully meeting some of you along the way!

Hi Everyone! I am brand new to this forum and am still trying to navigate my way around so please forgive me if I screw this up.
I have been thinking/dreaming about doing the full Camino for many years now and thanks to the Grace of God I am now in a position to make my dream a reality. I have traveled extensively but never totally on my own. To say I'm a bit nervous to do so would be an understatement. I'm not as much worried about safety as I am about logistics and I speak no language over than English. Regardless, I will put my Faith in the Lord knowing He will guide my steps. I will turn 50 in June and hope to be on my "Way" when that happens. I'm thinking of departing Minnesota around the end of May and start my walk from SJPP.
I have been perusing this forum for the past two days and it has been most helpful to say the least. I just have to add that the way you all seem to genuinely help and care for each other renews my faith in the human spirit; especially since we are bombarded, on a daily basis, with such sadness and horrible acts of violence from the news media. May God bless each and every one of you.

Buen Camino!

Patty

Buen Camino
Arn

Buen Camino
Arn

Hello all! I thought my first post should be an introduction. My wife and I are from the Philippines and are planning to do our first Camino in April 2017 as a way of celebrating my turning 50 next year. We will be doing the last leg of the Camino Portugues from Tui.
Hi, I am one of the admin of the Camino de Santiago Philippines-Confraternity of Saint James (FB page). Look for our page in Face Book and send us a message if we can help you with your Camino Preparation. Mabuhay & Buen Camino!!!

Hi Everyone!

Wish me luck!

I am leaving from Toronto to Paris at the end of April 2017, 3 days after my 31st birthday...also planning to start my first Camino in SJPP :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Ingles 2017! Not using a travel agent this time. Planning ourselves is underway and going quite well. Hope there will be some of you out there in June next year. Buen Camino!

Happy to find this thread where everyone is excitedly announcing Camino plans! Thanks to the wisdom and suggestions of many kind veteran members and recent travelers I have filtered my stack of what ifs into a viable yet slightly unplanned plan. Three weeks vacation is approved for May 2017. Yeaaa! Flights are sorted out (not booked), TX to Bordeaux. What to pack is also sorted out thanks to several YouTube videos and editing by SYates book & posts. Plans are in order to rendezvous with a friend from our Paris project days for a couple days pre Camino. Trains & times Bordeaux to Bayonne to SJPdP noted. Two day routes and accommodations to Roncesvalles sorted out dependent on weather. From there it's a free flowing trek until time runs out & then back to Bordeaux to fly home. Now to continue the early training & Spanish. As of now I am mixing French & Spanish thoughts, but am sure the two will separate in time.

One year from this month my husband and I will be on the Camino! Just curious about who else might be heading down the path at the same time.

€46,-
Hi, I want to overcome my fears and doubts about the Camino and 2017 will be MY year to do that. And the first Step after years of hesitation is to write this down and say hello to all pilgrims here, I will go 2017 in Mai or June, i am not defintely sure

Hi, I want to overcome my fears and doubts about the Camino and 2017 will be MY year to do that. And the first Step after years of hesitation is to write this down and say hello to all pilgrims here, I will go 2017 in Mai or June, i am not defintely sure
I will walk my first Camino next year in may/june. I hope and think this will be a walk to remember. Many thoughts about all the practical things, but I am trying not to plan everything, and somehow in my mind I have already begun my Camino. Buen Camino.

I will walk my first Camino next year in may/june. I hope and think this will be a walk to remember. Many thoughts about all the practical things, but I am trying not to plan everything, and somehow in my mind I have already begun my Camino. Buen Camino.

Hi Maevlilu.
Have you decided which Camino you plan to walk for your first time? Wishing well with your plans. This site has been so helpful to me and I'm sure it will be for you too. There are lots of lovely people here.
Buen Camino.
Sheena

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Maevlilu.
Have you decided which Camino you plan to walk for your first time? Wishing well with your plans. This site has been so helpful to me and I'm sure it will be for you too. There are lots of lovely people here.
Buen Camino.
Sheena
I will walk Camino Frances and I am glad I have 6 week free from work. I also love ths site and I m reading everything with great interest.

I am so excited to join the class of 2017! Am planning my first Camino ( going solo)for the end of June 2017 and will walk for 3 weeks. I would like to start in St. Jean but plan on being flexible/open where my camino leads me so not sure where I will end up. Loving this site and all the very helpful information.

I will be joining the class of 2017! This will be my first camino and I am going solo. Planning to head out the end of August - early Sept. and going to take the time I need to get it done. Going to leave from SJPP. So grateful for this forum.... for all it's help (from everyone of you) and to keep the excitement going...I enjoy checking for updates .... enjoy looking at photos. I want this camino to be my camino and really try not to take too much from other people stories/experiences. That being said - if the majority say to do something - I will definitely consider it and if the majority say not to do something there is a good chance I won't do it!

Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino @Doodle99

I think it is a good idea to experience your own Camino and don't look at what others have experienced. Every day is different. Buen Camino, SY

Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino @Doodle99

I think it is a good idea to experience your own Camino and don't look at what others have experienced. Every day is different. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you SY - I have been on the Camino de Santiago Forum (main) for a little while now and have read numerous comments by you offering very good advice!

€46,-

Buen Camino
Arn
Can't wait to get back on the Camino! Completed the Frances last October, but didn't make it to Finisterre. I'm planning to start April 11 and definitely continue on to Finisterre and Muxia. Cannot wait!!

I too am from NZ and will be 65 in 2017 and plan to do the Camino. I was hoping to do it in September. I too am in the research phase. Wondering where you live in NZ

Hi all :)

Flight tickets are bought and very much looking forward to start my Camino in 2017. I plan to start walking from SJPdP on 31st March and finish in Santiago end of April.

This would be my 5th experience on the Camino, however I'm sure this will be a totally different experience for many reasons. It will be my first time going solo and also my longest stay on the Camino.

Looking forward :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After walking the Camino , Sarria to Santiago this past May, we are planning the first week of may 2017 starting in SJPdP and making our way to Logrono, and maybe later in the year start there and continue on to Sarria,

Planning to walk the Camino Inglés May/June

Elle's great description and details lead me to believe that if she did it in 4 or 5 days I should be able to manage it in 2 weeks! Not only out of sheer terror at what I'm thinking of doing but because I'm a "stop and smell the roses" traveler anyway.

Have you noticed how many people say variations of "not enough time to visit a church/museum/other local sites?"

http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html

Planning to walk the Camino Inglés May/June

Elle's great description and details lead me to believe that if she did it in 4 or 5 days I should be able to manage it in 2 weeks! Not only out of sheer terror at what I'm thinking of doing but because I'm a "stop and smell the roses" traveler anyway.

Have you noticed how many people say variations of "not enough time to visit a church/museum/other local sites?"

http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html

We did the Camino Ingles in 3 days... yes we're crazy, I know. :D The problem is we were very limited with time due to work commitments, however I must say from the 4 different experiences on different Caminos this was my best, maybe due to walking in solitude and the inner journey I've experienced on this Camino. I very much recommend it :)

Here's a video/photos of my journey on the Camino Ingles should you like to watch :)

Hi all!

The plan is to embark on this great adventure in May/June of 2017. It'll be right before my 32nd birthday--eeek--and I'll be going solo. Definitely a bit intimidated and am navigating so many posts to get an idea of what this may look like.

Excited for this adventure :)

Hi. Early planning stages but I plan to celebrate my mid-June birthday on the CI (a lot more than 32!!). I also plan to take it very slowly!

It looks as if our group will consist of another female (50s) from Caracas (Venezuela), and her daughter (my niece) and boyfriend (both 20s) who live in Bristol (UK).

Where will you be traveling from? Feel free to PM me.

Hi Everyone!

Wish me luck!

Also starting beginning April 2017. Hoping to start Monday the 3 rd. First Camino and solo adventure. Maybe we'll walk past each other. Enjoy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I walked this year from 18th of April till the 24th of May. I had no problems finding accommodation.

Hi Peter,

I'm a new member here :) and planning to walk from April 117th - May 11/12th (only starting in Burgos due to limited time). I will post a separate question to a new forum discussion, however would love to know if you had encountered any blizzards / really bad conditions. I'm from South Africa and we just have lots of wind and rain, but not any snow or blizzards!!

Looking forward to being part of the Class 2017 to complete my Camino. So excited and anxious (good I hope..)

Elizabeth

Hi Peter,

I'm a new member here :) and planning to walk from April 117th - May 11/12th (only starting in Burgos due to limited time). I will post a separate question to a new forum discussion, however would love to know if you had encountered any blizzards / really bad conditions. I'm from South Africa and we just have lots of wind and rain, but not any snow or blizzards!!

Looking forward to being part of the Class 2017 to complete my Camino. So excited and anxious (good I hope..)

Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth ,
The only Day with a lot of rain was the day that I walked to Burgos .
For the rest it was great . (last year April / May )
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter

I walked the Frances in September/October this year from SJPP to SDC (still can't quite believe I did it!) and I seem to have inspired some friends to start thinking of doing something similar. One has done Sarria to SdC so we are hoping to do Porto to Santiago in May.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back