• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2018

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just booked my flight to Madrid for August 2018. I will begin my camino at Ponferrada (completing the camino with my little sister who has done sections over the years) to Santiago. Looking forward to lots of learning here!

Just booked my flight to Madrid for August 2018. I will begin my camino at Ponferrada (completing the camino with my little sister who has done sections over the years) to Santiago. to Looking forward to lots of learning here!
Welcome to the forum, your first post! Great! You are going to love the camino. Good luck to you and your little sister. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just booked my flight to Madrid for August 2018. I will begin my camino at Ponferrada (completing the camino with my little sister who has done sections over the years) to Santiago. Looking forward to lots of learning here!
Wish you both a wonderfull time , you will love it .

Buen Camino , Peter .

Hello from Charleston, South Carolina U.S.A. John an Kim here.
Our flight to Madrid is booked and we will arrive in Spain on 15 April for our first Camino.
Loose plan is to be in SJPP to start on the 17th or 18th

. . . from Charleston, South Carolina. . .

Team Charleston, you are going to love the camino! Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello.. I plan to start the Camino Frances from SJPdP in mid-September to celebrate my 60th birthday. I'm giving myself plenty of time to walk, listen and learn, and so probably won't buy a return ticket to the US until early November. I hope to meet many of you along the way!

Hello.. I plan to start the Camino Frances from SJPdP in mid-September to celebrate my 60th birthday. I'm giving myself plenty of time to walk, listen and learn, and so probably won't buy a return ticket to the US until early November. I hope to meet many of you along the way!
You are going to love the camino! Happy planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be arriving Irun from Michigan USA on April 27th to walk the del Norte. Taking as much time as it takes to enjoy my journey and look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the way. Buen Camino

I will be arriving Irun from Michigan USA on April 27th to walk the del Norte. Taking as much time as it takes to enjoy my journey and look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the way. Buen Camino
Welcome aboard, your first post! You are going to have FUN on El Camino del Norte. See my previous post on forum patches info. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all- Class of 2018 here. I plan to leave SJPdP around April 5. First time pilgrim, solo, and I would be more freaked out if I weren't trying to put every spare moment into work so I can take April and May off. So goes the ways of the modern world. See you on the trail!
Will be there about the same time...plans to be confirmed yet...yeaks!

There's 5 of us walking from Sarria - Santiago in May 2018 - 2 travellers from Canada, 3 from UK.
Looking forward to the walk.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018?

Buen Camino
Arn
Humbertico and wife Sept 2018 will start the Camino, Frances but two days prior will be in Lourdes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all! I'm planning to walk the Camino Francés to Santiago in May. I'll fly from London on the 20th May to Saint Biarritz and then go to Saint Jean Pied-de-Port. Looking forward to start the Camino...

I too am flying from London on the 20th to Biarritz then on to SJPDP. We're on the late Ryanair flight. Planning to start walking on the 22nd with a friend. Hope to see you along the way!

Hey all,

I'm planning on walking the CF to Santiago from my hometown in the Netherlands, starting June 4th. My arrival date is flexible as I'm reserving my summer for the camino. I'll probably walk close to 2500km and hope to find my mental energy and priorities renewed by the time I reach my destination.

I'm walking solo and so far I've already gained a lot of info from this forum: thanks!

[edit: question moved to separate thread]

Last edited:
I too am flying from London on the 20th to Biarritz then on to SJPDP. We're on the late Ryanair flight. Planning to start walking on the 22nd with a friend. Hope to see you along the way!

Hi Cali! My flight is at 13:55pm...I'm pretty sure we will catch up on the camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Add me to the 2018 Class list. I admit that I can't stop walking and will return to the Camino Frances for the 8th year in a row, this time to walk from Pamplona on April 16 to Ponferrada, then I will take a train to Santiago ~May 20, where I will reunite with my 2012 Camino German walkingmate after his VdlP camino. Can't wait!

Add me to the 2018 Class list. I admit that I can't stop walking and will return to the Camino Frances for the 8th year in a row, this time to walk from Pamplona on April 16 to Ponferrada, then I will take a train to Santiago ~May 20, where I will reunite with my 2012 Camino German walkingmate after his VdlP camino. Can't wait!
Wish you a wonderfull journey and a Buen Camino , Peter .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Planning to do the Via Podiensis in the Autumn, celebrating my 70th year here on earth, and walking for world peace.

Planning on starting my pilgrimage May 23 from SJPP, overnight in Bayonne and again in SJPP. When I start, I want to be refreshed and ready to start my walk. Excited about it, will be taking my time as I plan on staying for 90 days. I want to experience to the culture of Spain and Portugal since I plan on walking down to there, why? It's only 8 inches down on the map...lol

I'm off for my second Camino Aragonés on 17 April (hopefully a day before the weekly train strikes from Bayonne-Oloron Ste Marie!). If anyone would like to share a taxi up to the Monasterio San Juan de la Pena that weekend (Fri or Sat), you might pm me? Buen Camino a todos!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn

Excited to be part of the class of 2018. CF. Vamanos!

I am 5 days from flying out. So excited, 4 years of planning finally coming to fruition. I have to admit to making some last minute equipment changes over the last week. I think it's the loss of control I am feeling, so I know I can control the packing list. :eek: Hope to see anyone on the CF. Just look for the guy dragging behind and walking slow, say "hi" as you pass by.

I'll be doing the Coastal Portugues in September this year from Porto! I've been wanting to walk the Camino for 6 years! So excited to take my first trip.

Any other pilgrims leaving Porto in September?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am starting in Sarria on 27th June with 3 other women. Last year, as I completed my first Camino I planned to return to the last section with a friend of mine who has had two heart events and a long-term dream to walk to Santiago. I did some shorter hikes with her and tried to show her that 'solvitur ambulando' could perhaps work.

I am starting in Sarria on 27th June with 3 other women. Last year, as I completed my first Camino I planned to return to the last section with a friend of mine who has had two heart events and a long-term dream to walk to Santiago. I did some shorter hikes with her and tried to show her that 'solvitur ambulando' could perhaps work.
Hi Frances , wish you all a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello from Italy, I am planning to walk my second Camino in August, Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to SDC. I should start in Oviedo on 30th July.

Just reporting back to say that I completed my first Camino on 5 April after starting in SJPdP on 2 March, with 3 rest days along the way. Met Suz on the way after first meeting her on this forum, we shared quite a few dinners with some others we met at various places. There was some interesting weather, but nothing as bad as some people seem to be faced with at the moment in some spots. I hope they all stay safe. Anyway it was definitely one of the best things that I have ever done. I intend to do it again in the not too distant future. Buen Camino to all.

Greetings!

I'll be flying into Paris from Denver, Colorado, then another flight to Biarritz/Bayonne on the 28th where I'll stay the night. I'll travel to SJPdP the next morning and spend the night at Gite Izaxulo. I'll start my Camino the next morning, the 30th of April, and couldn't be more excited to be part of the class of 2018!! Looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the way!

¡Cheers y Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi
I fly out later today to Madrid prior to starting my second camino. This time from Salamanca on the vdlp. When I finished the Frances last October happy and confident, I vowed to walk again in the spring on a quieter route. I certainly did not expect to be feeling apprensive. A little worried about my lack of prep, Spanish and other pilgrims.

As a partial payback for the great help I have received here I plan to post live from the walk a few times.

May all of the pilgrims here walking now or soon have a happy holy safe camino.

Cheers Paul

Hello! I have been lurking on this forum for a long time... it is such a great resource and inspiration. But finally it is my turn to post!! Happy to report that I will start the Camino Francés on May 23, from SJPDP. :)
Me too!!

Greetings!

I'll be flying into Paris from Denver, Colorado, then another flight to Biarritz/Bayonne on the 28th where I'll stay the night. I'll travel to SJPdP the next morning and spend the night at Gite Izaxulo. I'll start my Camino the next morning, the 30th of April, and couldn't be more excited to be part of the class of 2018!! Looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the way!

¡Cheers y Buen Camino!
Hi! What flight are you taking from Paris to Biaritz/Bayonne? I will be coming up with a plan for September 3rd for my second Camino! Can't wait!

Hi! What flight are you taking from Paris to Biaritz/Bayonne? I will be coming up with a plan for September 3rd for my second Camino! Can't wait!

Hi Rosemary!

I'm flying Air France from Paris to Biarritz (€81). I originally planned to take the train, but because I am landing so late into Paris (after noon), the train to Bayonne was going to cost more than the flight to Biarritz, and take 5 hours, vs. the 1.5 hr flight. Once I land in Biarritz, I'll take a taxi from the airport to my hotel in Bayonne (~€11) . And I'll have time to enjoy a relaxing dinner and stroll Bayonne a bit before calling it a night. I'm taking the train to SJPdP the next morning. I can't wait, either! 11 more days for me!!

Hi Rosemary!

I'm flying Air France from Paris to Biarritz (€81). I originally planned to take the train, but because I am landing so late into Paris (after noon), the train to Bayonne was going to cost more than the flight to Biarritz, and take 5 hours, vs. the 1.5 hr flight. Once I land in Biarritz, I'll take a taxi from the airport to my hotel in Bayonne (~€11) . And I'll have time to enjoy a relaxing dinner and stroll Bayonne a bit before calling it a night. I'm taking the train to SJPdP the next morning. I can't wait, either! 11 more days for me!!
Thank you and Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan to walk the Le Puy to Santiago route in mid-May - mid-July 2018. I walked the Camino Frances route in 2013. Great fun, great friendships made.
I am currently on the Le Puy route heading to Figeac today from Decazeville. The weather has been mixed 5 terrible days followed by 2 wonderful ones. The scenery is breathtaking but the hills big and steep I'd advise doing it before it gets too hot if possible

Hello class of 2018!

I will walk out of Sevilla on the 14th September on the Via de la Plata. Walking solo.

My flight UK to Madrid is booked, need to sort transport (high speed train?) to Sevilla.

This will be my third camino (previous two the Camino Frances). Had planned on walking last year but husband hadn't been too well so i cancelled. His health improved so i did a last minute trip and walked the West Highland Way in Scotland (fantastic scenery, very very rainy and met lots of camino veterans while walking).

I'm planning on some solo hiking between now and September including walking the Hebridean Way which will involve carrying my camping gear - this should hopefully get me into camino condition!

Buen camino to all Class of 2018 peregrinos and peregrinos :)

I’ll be flying out tomorrow morning and hopefully will start walking from SJPdP on Monday 23rd. I look forward to crossing paths with some of you. Buen Camino and safe travels, y’all:)

From the looks of it, I might be alone on the Camino de la Plata? seems no one wants the challenge? I walked this Camino in 2014 enjoyed it a bit hard but doable. Leaving from Sevilla possibly after 2-3 days in Sevilla. June 3rd.

I'm heading to Bilbao on Sunday to do a section of the Camino del Norte. In 2016 I did the Frances from SJPP to SdC and then last year the Portuguese from Coimbra to SdC. This is a new experience then, not finishing in SdC but I hope to get to Llanes at least in the 11 days that I have plus a weekend in Bilbao. Maybe do another section in September. Hopefully I will bump into some of you along the way.

Buen Camino
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi my name is Kat and I start my Camino in St John pied at the beginning of May is anybody else starting out then?

Lurch hello. I too am starting the pilgrim way April 2018. Second week and so full of amazement at the people who are walking 2018 and have walked one or more Caminos. I cannot wait to get going. A life's ambition. Our paths might cross. I am a really tall South African woman from Cape Town who smiles a lot. Bien Camino and well done on reaching for your dream. Trish
Hi Lurch- I am walking beginning of May and in June-maybe we will pass each other

The 3 Amigos will be starting our Camino Frances in SJPDP on Sept 1st. Looking forward to this for so long. I will likely be obsessing over what to pack and not pack for the next 4 months haha and of course be hanging out on here with the rest of you peregrinos. Be well and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From the looks of it, I might be alone on the Camino de la Plata? seems no one wants the challenge? I walked this Camino in 2014 enjoyed it a bit hard but doable. Leaving from Sevilla possibly after 2-3 days in Sevilla. June 3rd.
Did you look at the VdlP section of this forum - there may be others in June too who have posted in there. Buen camino

The 3 Amigos will be starting our Camino Frances in SJPDP on Sept 1st. Looking forward to this for so long. I will likely be obsessing over what to pack and not pack for the next 4 months haha and of course be hanging out on here with the rest of you peregrinos. Be well and Buen Camino!
Enjoy! September is a great time to walk the Frances

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be travelling Edinburgh -> Stansted -> Biarritz -> Bayonne -> SJPdP on the 25th April, kicking off on the 26th, going solo.

Slightly bricking it with the quick transfers, train strikes, and the thought of hoofing to Roncesvalles in a day.

I've also just done my first proper weight check and somehow I'm 2-3kg over (10.7kg back weight). Nuts.

5F3hKHF.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, I see you have your boots on the table and a lot of clothing. Have you weighed all of your clothing including the gear, footwear etc you'll be wearing? If so, that will reduce the overall backpack weight some. Cheers Pete

Hi Andrew, I see you have your boots on the table and a lot of clothing. Have you weighed all of your clothing including the gear, footwear etc you'll be wearing? If so, that will reduce the overall backpack weight some. Cheers Pete
Hey Pete, yeah I weighed everything individually then removed 'a common days clothes/boots' from it. For a grand total of about 2.5kg worn, and 10.7 carried.

I've decided to leave some stuff (down jacket, longsleeve, tripod, replace big water bladder with 500ml bottle, etc) and I think I have it down to about 8kg now, which is hopefully a little more doable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All, I walked from SJPDP to SDC in an extraordinarily hot Aug/Sept 2016 celebrating my 65th birthday along the way. While I found the experience absolutely wonderful, probably exceeding my expectations, I couldn't see myself doing it again. Now here I am 19 months later reasonably (un)fit and a tad out of shape booked to fly in Biarritz on 22nd May & commence 2nd Camino on 23rd May after a spontaneous and overwhelming desire to do so.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello! I have been lurking on this forum for a long time... it is such a great resource and inspiration. But finally it is my turn to post!! Happy to report that I will start the Camino Francés on May 23, from SJPDP. :)
Hi! I'll be starting from SJPdP on May 24th. Maybe we'll see each other on the road. Buen Camino!
Julie

Buen Camino
Arn
Credencial.JPG Ay! I just got my credencial and patch in the mail today! I'll be starting from SJPdP on May 24 and am booked at Orisson. Will anyone be traveling from Bilbao on the 23rd?
Julie

Greetings!

I'll be flying into Paris from Denver, Colorado, then another flight to Biarritz/Bayonne on the 28th where I'll stay the night.

Yay! Another Denverite! Just got my ticket but not flying out until Aug. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am starting the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on June 23rd 2018. It will be my second Camino, as I've done the French way in 2014.
My first Camino was life changing and I do hope this one will prove to be the same. Funnily enough, I searched for a Camino forum without remembering I was active here in 2014 planning my first Camino :) I discovered my profile and read my old messages as if they are from a stranger.

Glad to be back :)

Starting the last week of May, I will be walking the first half of the Norte, from Irun to Santander followed by the entirety of the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo. Will bus/train from Santander to Oviedo for the transition. Could not be more excited.

I'm planning (and hoping) to walk the Camino with my husband on April 2018, the year I turn 30 years old =)
But first, in october this year, we're going on a vacation to the US for pleasure and to find good gear for the Camino. So let's see how that goes first!

BTW, if you have any suggestions on stores we could find good backpacks and sleeping bags, we would love to hear!

REI is also excellent, particularly on backpacks. They are knowledgeable about the what packs are typically used on the Camino and carry several brands.

Buen Camino
Arn
I’m arriving in Paris May 16. Hope to start the Norte on the 17th and continue to the Primitivo. I walked the Camino Frances in 2017.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Buen Camino
Arn
Hi there, Michael from Ireland....have had a desire to walk the Camino for years, but with a young family it was difficult to do this...now they have grown and I have a bit more time...so I'm starting this on May 5th from SJPDP with my brother in law....

Buen Camino
Arn

Yes, I am leaving today!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All, please add me to the list of class 2018. Bit of a spur of the moment thing but start my first camino in two weeks time, walking out of Ferrol on the Ingles; and I am looking forward it.

I am starting the Camino this Sunday with my Fiance. She is a non practicing Roman catholic who loves walking and has wanted to do the Camino as a bucket list item. I am an Celtic Agnostic who also likes walking and will try just about anything once. I believe that if she wants to do it and have my company, I should help and support her on the walk as she does with my other ideas. We are both in our 40s and a little over weight but i think we will manage it fine and maybe as others have find ourselves. Seeing as some of the history of the Camino is Celtic i am looking forward to learning and experiencing it and the comradeship of the camino.
We are starting in Saria and hope to be in Santiago-de-compostel for mass on Friday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many pilgrims on this forum have expressed the hope and interest in seeing and meeting other pilgrims from this forum while on Camino. If that is something you'd like, an identifier helps. Fortunately, Ivar offers such a thing in his forum store. I encourage you to obtain this and attach it to your pack, or other visually obvious location on your person. I would love to be able to see it on the Way, and start a conversation knowing that we have something else, as pilgrims, in common. :)

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/collections/badges/products/pilgrim-forum-member-badge

My wife and I are set to leave from SJPDP in mid September. This will be my 2nd Camino, her first. Hope to reach SDC by the last week of October and then off to Paris for a few days. Can't wait to feel the rhythm of the Pilgrimage again. Buen Camino!

Hola, forum friends!

I'm arriving in SJPdP on the 5th of September, 2018 and begin the following morning. Excited would be an understatement. I have been reading and researching the forum thoroughly - some would even say lurking - and I've purchased and begun wearing in a lot of my clothes and equipment already. I can't wait to meet some of you over there!

Scott

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola, forum friends!

I'm arriving in SJPdP on the 5th of September, 2018 and begin the following morning. Excited would be an understatement. I have been reading and researching the forum thoroughly - some would even say lurking - and I've purchased and begun wearing in a lot of my clothes and equipment already. I can't wait to meet some of you over there!

Scott
Yay to to you! I'll be there in Sept as well!

My wife and I are set to leave from SJPDP in mid September. This will be my 2nd Camino, her first. Hope to reach SDC by the last week of October and then off to Paris for a few days. Can't wait to feel the rhythm of the Pilgrimage again. Buen Camino!
Right on! Buen camino!

Hello everyone! Erlia from the other side of the globe - Singapore :D

4 of us (my husband, my SIL + her hubby and I) will be doing the last 100 km of Via de la Plata at the end of October 2018. This is our first Camino. A baby step. So excited! It has been on my list ever since I heard about it. Wish we can do the full route anytime soon.

A lot of caminantes making plans for September and October 2018 and I want to join you, but first I must take care of some business. My backpack is ready, my mind is ready, my body is ready, keeping my fingers crossed for a 2018 camino. Animo, no pares de caminar!

Hello everyone! Erlia from the other side of the globe - Singapore :D

4 of us (my husband, my SIL + her hubby and I) will be doing the last 100 km of Via de la Plata at the end of October 2018. This is our first Camino. A baby step. So excited! It has been on my list ever since I heard about it. Wish we can do the full route anytime soon.
Welcome aboard, your first post! Team Erlia is going to love the camino. Good luck, y no pares de caminar.

El Camino Portugues, por La Costa, during the latter half of June.

A cousin (who is more like a brother to me) and I will be doing our first Camino, before taking the train from Santiago back to Sevilla, and spending time with relatives in Andalucia for the rest of my vacation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello. Larry from Virginia, USA. My son, Michael, and I are planning to leave in 5 weeks to walk part of the Camino del Norte. First Camino for both of us. Our plan is about one week from Irun to Bilbao and then a bus to Ribadeo to start a two-week trek to Santiago de Compostela. Then bus or train to Rota and back home. Michael leaves for college at the end of the summer, so this Camino celebrates the transition for us.

Hello. Larry from Virginia, USA . . .
Mister Larry, welcome aboard, your first post! You and your son are going to have FUN walking el camino. Good luck, y no pares de caminar (and don't stop walking).

Thank you Sailor and NobleSpaniard for the replies.

If all goes well, Michael and I will start at Irun on June 21 or 22, walk for six or seven stages, then a day in transit to Ribadeo, to arrive in Santiago de Campostella around July 15. Michael and I hope the Camino will be fun, interesting, challenging, and rewarding in many ways. He is 18 and I am 63, so I get to set the pace. (If I overload his pack with my gear, it slows him down.) We plan to pack a tent but stay in albergues as much as possible with a night or two in hotels or paradores.

NobleSpaniard, I hope you are enjoying your time in Virginia (your comment makes it sound like you are here for just a while). It has been 25 years since I have been to Spain, and I am really looking forward to returning. I look forward to your posts after your return.

Buen Camino!

Hi all,

I’ve replied to posts in this thread before but haven’t added my own introduction. I’m sitting at YVR way too early for my flight to Paris. Weather permitting, I’ll start walking from SJPP on Wednesday. I’m not planning on live blogging but I’ll be posting pictures and videos with commentary on Instagram if you care to follow along. https://www.instagram.com/jenwearing/
Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the practical advice and the laughs!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m starting my first Camino on 8th of June, 2018 with my son in SJPD. We are excited, two weeks away. Feet don’t fail me now!

Oh wow! My son and I are flying from CDG to Biarritz on the 19th as well!! We will certainly have to meet! As of now we are planning to stay just one night in SJPP but I have yet to get confirmation from Orisson and I can’t get my payment to go through on the Roncesvalle site. Did you run into any troubles securing your reservations?

greatings ... have you managed to secure loggings at Orisson?
It took a while but i succeded .... staying there on 25th June

Hi there,

I never thought i am doing the Camino, until last month, other retreat plan doesn't work.
I'm in life transition period, hope it will go well. Now I booked my ticket, I will start my 1st Camino Frances and Finisterre on June 17, 2018, from SJPP. Looking forward to this walk and have a good time with my Lord.

Cheers!

I'm doing the Ruta Ingles with my wife in July then the Ruta Portuguese from Porto. Looking forward to it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I join the class of 2018 in just a few days. We (myself, my hubby and a friend) arrive in Lisbon May 30th and start walking the Camino Portugues June 1st. We walked the Camino Frances in 2016 but given all the information I have been gleaning from the forum over the past weeks I am excited and terrified in equal measure about the task ahead. Can't wait to get started.

Hello from Charleston, South Carolina U.S.A. John an Kim here.
Our flight to Madrid is booked and we will arrive in Spain on 15 April for our first Camino.
Loose plan is to be in SJPP to start on the 17th or 18th
Hey, y'all. Keep in touch. So jealous. Fall for me. Blessings & buen Camino!

I have bought my plane tickets from Melbourne to Madrid - arrive Spain 22 September - I will stay in a Pension in Madrid then get a train to Sahagun and hopefully walk from there to Santiago and if all is well -maybe continue onto Muxia and then return via Finisterre . I'll see how it goes .
I have a general plan that i'll leave loose enough to let the Camino unfold as it needs to . I'll just walk and focus on simple things .

It will be my third Camino . I have 5 weeks leave from work and will spend a month of it in Spain .
It will be my third Camino ( I walked from St Jean - Santiago in 2015 ( 35 days -2 rest days) , worked as a hospitelero in Bercianos in first 2 weeks of Oct 2017 then flew to Portugal and walked from Porto to Santiago in 2nd half of October - after a few days rest i then walked to finestere . Afterwards i ended up in Hospital as i had to have my gallbladder out after feeling unwell after Finisterre. It was a bit traumatic . I spent a week in Hospital . I had to cut my plans and trip short by a month due to the circumstances and fly back home to recover . I was pretty much sure i was done with the camino . But i dont think its done with me yet :) It has been calling me - and i feel its pull again - i feel that i maybe have unfinished business .

This time i hope to walk the 2nd part of Camino Frances - from the main town Sahugun - just before Bercianos which is on the train line from Madrid -I hope to take my time this time , walk on my own initially - maybe take a few side trips here and there and just take a bit more time to savor the experience- stay in some same and some different places - not always pilgrim hostels so that i can stay out later and walk later - experience a variety of foods ( rather than just pilgrim meals) and perhaps try some alternative pathways and alternative albergues and take more rest days . We'll see how it goes .

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back