• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closed Camino path on San Salvador!

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I came to Puente de los Fierros and took the Fresnedo path. Just up the first hill the gate is closed and can't be opened and text on the gate CF Cerrao. :-(

Attachments

• 1406994235172.jpg
    1406994235172.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 62
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Beatrice, I've sent a message to Ender, guardian angel of the Salvador, but of course he won't be able to do anything to help you out. Hope you find a way around, that part of the Salvador is very pretty. Let us know how you worked it out! Laurie

I came to Puente de los Fierros and took the Fresnedo path. Just up the first hill the gate is closed and can't be opened and text on the gate CF Cerrao. :-(

Beatrice:

Not sure if it was that gate but I recall climbing over at least one gate and a fence.

Ultreya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was thinking of climbing it but used the national highway yesterday. I met Ender last night in Buiza he might have said something in very fast Spanish that I missed. Well well I'm now in Compamanes after 6 km on hard surface and cars instead of a beautiful path :-(

I was thinking of climbing it but used the national highway yesterday. I met Ender last night in Buiza he might have said something in very fast Spanish that I missed. Well well I'm now in Compamanes after 6 km on hard surface and cars instead of a beautiful path :-(

Beatrice:

That walk, while having a few up and downs, is very nice. It was quite muddy when I walked April 2013 but still a nice path. The rest of the walk is mostly pedestrian pathway and then road walking from Mieres.

Ultreya,
Joe

The gate opens. We had the same message, and thought that was that. Its one of those gates that is fiddly to open, and I think it is indicating close it after you.

I can not remember how we opened it, it looked like one of those things that did not want to open then we had a eureka moment and worked it out, it was probably my gf who did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The gate opens. We had the same message, and thought that was that. Its one of those gates that is fiddly to open, and I think it is indicating close it after you.

I can not remember how we opened it, it looked like one of those things that did not want to open then we had a eureka moment and worked it out, it was probably my gf who did it.
OK. There was 2 wires crossed over it and over the old wire that tied the gate to the pole that you usually just lift up.

I was probably to stupid to se how to open it then. Stood there for 15 minutes and didn't understand. The rain started to poor down as well so I gave up.

You got lucky in a round about way. It had rained all the way from Pajares to the town beforehand, where I stopped for an hour got completely changed and then restarted when it stopped raining. The path from there is treacherous in wet conditions, so many muddy ups and downs.

Good Luck Beatrice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that gate, a bit tricky, but feasible, pity you missed that part, Herias is a beautiful hamlet to see. If you were last night in Buiza and you made it to Campomanes in one day, you had a loooong day, I hope you had time to enjoy the landscape in between. Give my regards to Ender if you see him! He is something else, indeed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I remember that gate, a bit tricky, but feasible, pity you missed that part, Herias is a beautiful hamlet to see. If you were last night in Buiza and you made it to Campomanes in one day, you had a loooong day, I hope you had time to enjoy the landscape in between. Give my regards to Ender if you see him! He is something else, indeed!

Thanks for the info, Amancio. Is this the gate to the right side of the little village church?

Sorry you missed that section, Beatrice, but you'll still get your fair share of beauty on this camino, no doubt.

I bet that what the yellow painted letters say is "PF Cerrar" (Por favor, cerrar).

Wishing you better weather and better luck with gates for the rest of your camino.

No not that gate Peregrina2000. That is in Santa Marina. That gate I passed.

I can't really see how to open this gate I'm talking about. If you look at the picture you see that the gate is tied to the pole in the bottom right and in the top right an other wire is making it impossible to open the hinge wire. But I might missed another way to open it then moving the gate.

Well well what is a beautiful quintet path against a thunderstorm at the road ;-)

And yes I had plenty of time to enjoy the landscape but I'm not the kind of person that sits at a hill for an hour and just stare. I walked for 12 hours. Taking my time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, bummer. The painting on the fence just says, "Please close the gate." The X on the middle was added to keep the gate stuck together and hanging true to the post on the left, where the hinge is. (it is already obviously sagging). The wire or twine loops on the posts to the right you lift off. You grab onto the gate and lift a little upward, then toward yourself.
Pass through, and then repeat it all, but in reverse.
The things they don't include in the guidebooks! (I only know this stuff because I have to keep rebuilding/re-hanging the door to my chicken hut.)

Still, it sounds like you dodged a bullet, with the trail all flooded or muddy.
Adventure comes in so many forms!

@Rebekah Scott I could not get the loop of on the right pole. The wire from the crossed wire was in the way and I cold not lift that one up as well. It was way to tight.

Well it sounds like the path is no good in a thunderstorm with rain anyway and on the road I reached the town quite quickly.

Thank goodness Ender is up there. I am sure he will find a solution.
And thank goodness you knew when to say "enough" and fall back on Plan B.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They are horrible in wet weather, and we are not saying that to make you feel better. Probably an excellent path in dry conditions, very natural but in wet you could easily get injured. One of the group who went through that day had to give up on the Primitivo because their ankles were hurting so much from this day.

We have those out west. We call them Texas Cattleman's gates. Which basically means anything held together with bailing wire and/or duct tape. They can be a bear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.