• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cluny - Le Puy

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Hello fellow pilgrims. I know there are already several threads about the Cluny section, but most seem to be older.

Has anyone walked this chemin recently, in 2021?

There seems to be a new guide orange available, anyone who has seen that version already? Is it useful? I already have a guide book that covers that section, but I'm not very happy with it, so an alternative would be welcome. Are campsites included as lodging options in that guide?

Do I need additional IGN maps, or is the path well marked (I don't use gps or phone or apps for navigation and lodging, walking 'old school' with guide books and maps).

How ist the general 'feel' of that section?

I'll walk it anyway ;-) but some info to get through the long camino-less time until I do so would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello fellow pilgrims. I know there are already several threads about the Cluny section, but most seem to be older.

There seems to be a new guide orange available, anyone who has seen that version already? Is it useful? I already have a guide book that covers that section, but I'm not very happy with it, so an alternative would be welcome. Are campsites included as lodging options in that guide?

Do I need additional IGN maps, or is the path well marked (I don't use gps or phone or apps for navigation and lodging, walking 'old school' with guide books and maps).

I'll walk it anyway ;-) but some info to get through the long camino-less time until I do so would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I just finished my Le Puy Camino ending is Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in late October 2021. The Le Puy Camino is very well marked. But I did learn of the two apps that were fantastic: Podiensis and Mapy.cz. I heard about The Mapy.cz app towards the last stage of the Le Puy. It would have been wonderful to have it throughout. You can type Podiensis in the search section and it will highlight the GR65 on the map for you and where you are at that point. This can be a lifesaver if you veer off. So, I will use both apps the next time I walk the Le Puy. I do plan on walking it again because it was phenomenal. 🥰

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Kitsambler Thank you. I've seen that there are regular updates posted on the website which is always good. I guess my question was more if anyone in this forum has actually seen the new 2021/2022 edition in real life or even used it and could give an opinion on it. The thing is that I'm considering ripping out the pages from Cluny onwards in the guide book I already have (Don't like the maps in it, doesn't list all campsites, doesn't include contact details for acceuils jacquaires). If the guide orange is better than what I already have, I could save some weight until Cluny ;-). For maps, I'll order the IGN 1:100.000 for the way before Cluny. If the guide orange includes good maps I would not need to bring extra maps for the section from Cluny onwards.

@Sandrapf99 The Le Puy route is indeed phenomenal :) I've walked it before and am not really concerned about getting lost there. It's the section before, from Cluny to Le Puy I am not sure about which guide book to use and whether I need additional maps or not. I don't use a phone for navigation at all, but for those who do so the apps you mentioned are probably very useful. Personally I prefer paper maps, compass and printed guide books.

Last edited:
Hello, I found the orange guide to be more than sufficient. While it is now four years since walking this route I found the way well marked from Cluny to Le Puy. I had no problems following it, even though heavy snow covered some of the markers. The guide also provided plenty of accommodation options. Even though it is in French and I understand zero French, I found the maps and info easy to follow and did not need any other maps. Enjoy the walk. It is an interesting section of the camino and incudes one or two more challenging sections.

excellent guidebooks ... worth buying methinks : the link is here <https://boutique.amis-st-jacques-ara.com/produit/guide-orange-expedition-france/>

and the flyer here :
<https://boutique.amis-st-jacques-ara.com/telechargement/flyers/flyer_guide_orange.pdf>

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A big thank you to you two @John Holland and @BlackRocker57 , that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Now I can rip out the pages of my german guide book. I'll just make photos of the pages in case the guide orange is not available in Cluny when I get there (unlikely but you never know). That will make the backpack a bit lighter!

A big thank you to you two @John Holland and @BlackRocker57 , that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Now I can rip out the pages of my german guide book. I'll just make photos of the pages in case the guide orange is not available in Cluny when I get there (unlikely but you never know). That will make the backpack a bit lighter!
The «Guide Orange» is published by an association ... fair to middling chance that you won’t find it readily available at Cluny ... unless you have a strong reason not to, I would think about purchasing it in advance via the link i supplied above ...

The «Guide Orange» is published by an association ... fair to middling chance that you won’t find it readily available at Cluny ... unless you have a strong reason not to, I would think about purchasing it in advance via the link i supplied above ...

I read somewhere that it is possible to buy it in the office der tourisme in Cluny. The whole point was to carry less, not more (I'll walk a few kms before I get to Cluny and will already carry several other guide books and maps, would prefer not to carry another book for hundreds of kms without needing it until I get there). But thanks for pointing out the potential problem, I'll contact the office de tourisme and ask if the information is correct that it is usually available there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read somewhere that it is possible to buy it in the office der tourisme in Cluny. The whole point was to carry less, not more (I'll walk a few kms before I get to Cluny and will already carry several other guide books and maps, would prefer not to carry another book for hundreds of kms without needing it until I get there). But thanks for pointing out the potential problem, I'll contact the office de tourisme and ask if the information is correct that it is usually available there.
👌👍🤞

So, I wrote an e-mail to the office de tourisme in Cluny, and got a reply that the guide orange is available there in their shop (if I translated correctly). Maybe that information can be useful to someone :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.