• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cluny or Vezelay - recommendation needed

monja

Time of past OR future Camino
8.8.22 Camino
June 23 - Freiburg/Norte/Primitivo
Starting from Freiburg/Germany to SJPP in June.
I tried to find out, which route will be the best for me. But cant find an answer! :))
Due to the aspect that I will be by my own and not speak any French.. I would be very happy for some helpful words.
I am curious..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It depends much on what you are looking for.
The Podiensis is busier. It has, at least behind Le Puy a rich infrastructure for pilgrims, many historic places are on the way. But it is also a bit more physically challenging especially the first section.
The Lemovicensis is much less frequented. It will be good if you’re looking for solitude. With the time the infrastructure for pilgrims became quite good as well. See here: https://www.voiedevezelay.eu/de
¡Ultreia!

I've walked the way via Cluny last year. It has very good pilgrim infrastructure and is well marked. Beautiful landscapes including the Loire valley, nice villages and towns...I did enjoy it a lot.

Most pilgrims walking Cluny-Le Puy are german, and some french pilgrims also. I think I met one swiss person and one dutch man.

From Le Puy onwards it gets more international. Not like the Francés, it's still mostly french hikers, but you'll meet at least some pilgrims that speak english/german. I met pilgrims from Mexico, netherlands, Korea...

If you prefer a route with more social interaction but no crowds, the podiensis is a good idea.

I haven't walked via Vezelay but apparently it's a more solitary walk.

Personally, I really did enjoy meeting more and more pilgrims gradually over time.

Close to nobody in Germany and the first half of France, then more from Cluny, some more from Le Puy, and finally the very social Francés. It seemed very natural to me.

For a more quiet Camino with lots of solitude I guess the Lemoviciensis is the better idea.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm confused! You seem to have asked an identical question in another sub-forum. Perhaps you could get the moderators to amalgamate these so you have a consistent set of responses.

Starting from Freiburg/Germany to SJPP in June.
I tried to find out, which route will be the best for me. But cant find an answer! :))
I'm looking at the map of the GR routes in France that you would connect with, coming from Freiburg. Details at https://www.gr-infos.com/gr-en.htm and scroll down to click the "interactive map" link at the bottom.

It appears to me that, once in France, you would need to turn south, and use either the GR59 or GR509 to connect with the Via Gebennensis coming out of Geneva.

I'm not seeing any GR routes that would get @monja to Vezelay, but maybe someone else can suggest?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've walked the way via Cluny last year. It has very good pilgrim infrastructure and is well marked. Beautiful landscapes including the Loire valley, nice villages and towns...I did enjoy it a lot.

Most pilgrims walking Cluny-Le Puy are german, and some french pilgrims also. I think I met one swiss person and one dutch man.

From Le Puy onwards it gets more international. Not like the Francés, it's still mostly french hikers, but you'll meet at least some pilgrims that speak english/german. I met pilgrims from Mexico, netherlands, Korea...

If you prefer a route with more social interaction but no crowds, the podiensis is a good idea.

I haven't walked via Vezelay but apparently it's a more solitary walk.

Personally, I really did enjoy meeting more and more pilgrims gradually over time.

Close to nobody in Germany and the first half of France, then more from Cluny, some more from Le Puy, and finally the very social Francés. It seemed very natural to me.

For a more quiet Camino with lots of solitude I guess the Lemoviciensis is the better idea.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!
this sounds good to me! As you say, it seems very natural to meet pilgrims more and more slowly. I think that's my road. :)

I'm confused! You seem to have asked an identical question in another sub-forum. Perhaps you could get the moderators to amalgamate these so you have a consistent set of responses.
Sorry for confusing you. Was not my opinion :) And yes, I did in purpose. Why? Because there are people who only read the Cluny-sub-Forum and others only the velezay-sub-forum. If this is not allowed, than I apology for doing this.
But however, I think I got my answer. :) Thanks
thank you all for your advise and good wishes!
I am exited to walk all the way down!
Thanx a lot and Buen Camino

Hi, I start from Vezelay on the 16 July to SdC. I doubt you will be there by then so I will we walking before you. Maybe I can do some updates on the route while walking. I walked the LePuy in 2018.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I start from Vezelay on the 16 July to SdC. I doubt you will be there by then so I will we walking before you. Maybe I can do some updates on the route while walking. I walked the LePuy in 2018.
Well, I start in the beginning of June, so I would definitely be there before you :)
But, I think I will do the Cluny/LePuy Route
Thank you!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back