• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cluny to Le-Puy-en-Velay

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
I've just put up a set of photos on Flickr from my walk last year (2012) along the Camino route from Cluny to Le-Puy-en-Velay.http://www.flickr.com/photos/96274365@N03/sets/72157633640726609/
I've also made a blog about this route- with some of the same photos:
http://clunychemin.blogspot.co.nz/
It's a beautiful route that passes through many interesting towns and villages along the way. It is also quite hilly on many days- though flat on a few valley days. The views are often quite spectacular, and there is an abundance of historical interest. But it is also quite solitary, and that for me was the hardest thing. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Margaret

Note, this Flickr Link is out of date. New one is here.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lovely Margaret thank you.
Nell

Hi Margaret, your set of photos is impressive, especially because every single photo has a subscript! Thanks for sharing.
The Cluny to Le Puy route is on my bucket list, but first I have to complete the Le Puy route. In 11 days' time I am off to Rocamadour and plan to walk from there via Cahors to Aire-sur-l'Adour. Once again your 2008 blog is invaluable to me! You are an inspiration! Dolfina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Nell :) Dolfina, Rocamadour is on my bucket list! I would be interested to hear your 'report back'!
Margaret

Margaret, I will definitely report back about the 3 days on the Rocamadour route when I am back in South Africa. Hopefully I can take a "short" walk next year from Figeac to Rocamadour, train back to Figeac and then walk the Cele route. So many dreams... Dolfina

Well that whiled away well over an hour! Thanks Margaret! I haven't yet read every entry, but I'm wondering......did you ever feel unsafe? Solitary is one thing. Scared is quite another. Would you have unlocked the door to a gite in the middle of the night if you were alone and someone came knocking?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
lol Dolfina you are someone after my own heart! Though I have to admit I might even try and 'cheat' on the Rocamadour bit and see if there is a day trip option from Figeac, then return to walk the Cele route. But who knows....

Rachael- no I didn't feel unsafe- rural France felt like a very safe place to me. I did worry a bit that I might injure myself or get lost miles from anywhere. But I had a phone with me- rural coverage with Orange is not cheap but it is much better than what we get here in NZ rural areas. And I had two lots of good friends in France- one couple in a village in Burgundy, and also friends in Moissac -and I was confident they would help me if I ever needed help, even come and get me.

I almost certainly wouldn't have opened a door in a gite at night-time- but I usually had a phone number for the gite owner or 'responsable' and I could have rung them if the situation warranted it. It was the loneliness of spending so many nights as the only person in a gite that was what I found the hardest- that plus meeting very few other walkers on the route during the daytime. But it was certainly a beautiful route.
Margaret

Thanks for your reply Margaret. I'm a solitary soul, which must seem strange as I am constantly surrounded by LOTS of people. You have given me something to dream towards!

KiwiNomad06 said:
lol Dolfina you are someone after my own heart! Though I have to admit I might even try and 'cheat' on the Rocamadour bit and see if there is a day trip option from Figeac, then return to walk the Cele route. But who knows....
Yep, you can take the train from Figeac, spend a few hours in Rocamador, and train back to Figeac in one day. Or at least you could, assuming the timetable has not changed since 2010.
We walked the Cele and loved it. It is solitary. We took the detour to Saint Cirq Lapopie; it's beautiful.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370689506.331393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370689506.331393.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 793
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for that Kanga- good to know. Not that I have any definite plans for another walk yet- but there are 'thoughts' in my head!
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
I've just put up a set of photos on Flickr from my walk last year (2012) along the Camino route from Cluny to Le-Puy-en-Velay.http://www.flickr.com/photos/96274365@N03/sets/72157633640726609/
I've also made a blog about this route- with some of the same photos:
http://clunychemin.blogspot.co.nz/

Margaret, I've just had a delightful hour or so "wasting" my time looking at your photos and reading the blog. Most enjoyable and this route has gone into the possibilities list for next year (or the year after, God and family permitting). Along with about 4 other routes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Kiwi!

We stopped in Cluny last week on our way up to Paris. Walking into town for dinner we were surprised to see the blue and yellow clams, and I have been meaning to post to see if someone knew something about the route.

Figures you would have the answer!

Yes, I figure I know something about the Cluny route now... Most important thing is to follow the 'hinge' part of the coquille (clam) if you want to find your way to Le Puy!
Margaret

Hi Margaret . I'm new here and still finding my way around, but I happened upon your beautiful photos. Thanks for posting the link. Looks and sounds like the kind of route that I would enjoy.

Thanks again!
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
David, the route from Cluny is beautiful and interesting. Possibly it's not really a 'beginners' route if you are new to long distance walking, as there aren't too many people around. But from Le Puy south is also beautiful and interesting. Welcome to the Forum, and I am sure you will find lots of helpful info here.
Margaret

Thanks for your kind welcome and words of advice Margaret. I did a 20 day trek in Nepal years ago with my brother, but nothing big since then. I quite like the idea of the quietness. While I enjoy company I'm someone who also needs 'alone' time. Will keep looking around all the great information and collected wisdom here. Cheers from David.

KiwiNomad06 said:
Yes, I figure I know something about the Cluny route now... Most important thing is to follow the 'hinge' part of the coquille (clam) if you want to find your way to Le Puy!
Margaret

Hi Margaret, this is one of the many things I have learned from you by reading your blog! Your new set of photo's brought back wonderful memories to me from last year. Three more days and then I'm off! Dolfina

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
KiwiNomad06 said:
Margaret

It would be nice if that would become more standardized. Some routes it is, others not. It requires little effort to mark correctly.

Near our place on the Voie Aurelean there is a vertical coquille painted on a tree in the middle of a fork in the road! What were they thinking?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.