• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal Camino Portugese Route-June 2015

Kejtik

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2011+November 2013
Hello pilgrims...

I am planning to walk coastal Camino Portugese route in 2 weeks time, starting from Porto on 16th June 2015.
I have just come across the post written by one female pilgrim who has recently walked the same way and sadly had a very bad experience while walking through remote and isolated part. She was followed by a local male individual who had attempted to rape her..:(. After reading her post, I am not sure I still wanna do this anymore. It has quite put me off since my plan is to walk alone too. I am aware that this route is not busy and can be isolated.
I have walked Camino Frances twice and although there were parts I was walking completely alone I still found it very safe and luckily didn't experience one negative thing..but now I am starting to think whether I should still go ahead with my plan or maybe change it and walk traditional Portugese way instead...?

Is there anybody who is reading this and planning to walk coastal way starting from Porto on 16th June?
I know that many pilgrims want to walk Camino 'solo' but in this case I would prefer to walk at least those isolated parts with someone else...
I have been really looking forward to my upcoming trip but this has put a huge seed of doubt in my mind...:(
Please get in touch if you have the same thoughts and wouldn't mind having a company at times...
:)

I would also appreciate any comments, concerns or advice from all of you who have walked this way...I've got my flights booked....just not sure what to do now...

Thank you.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello pilgrims...

I am planning to walk coastal Camino Portugese route in 2 weeks time, starting from Porto on 16th June 2015.
I have just come across the post written by one female pilgrim who has recently walked the same way and sadly had a very bad experience while walking through remote and isolated part. She was followed by a local male individual who had attempted to rape her..:(. After reading her post, I am not sure I still wanna do this anymore. It has quite put me off since my plan is to walk alone too. I am aware that this route is not busy and can be isolated.
I have walked Camino Frances twice and although there were parts I was walking completely alone I still found it very safe and luckily didn't experience one negative thing..but now I am starting to think whether I should still go ahead with my plan or maybe change it and walk traditional Portugese way instead...?

Is there anybody who is reading this and planning to walk coastal way starting from Porto on 16th June?
I know that many pilgrims want to walk Camino 'solo' but in this case I would prefer to walk at least those isolated parts with someone else...
I have been really looking forward to my upcoming trip but this has put a huge seed of doubt in my mind...:(
Please get in touch if you have the same thoughts and wouldn't mind having a company at times...
:)

I would also appreciate any comments, concerns or advice from all of you who have walked this way...I've got my flights booked....just not sure what to do now...

Thank you.
Yes it is very sorry the incident happened. The coastal is very beautiful

I walked the Portugues coastal the other day although not all away from Porto but from Viana do Castelo- the first part I walked the central route till beyond Barcelos and then transferred to Viana do Castello. I earlier walked the coastal out of Porto to Vila do Conde but Vila do Conde to Esposende and on to Viana I do not know and there happened the incident.

But there are other places on the coastal f.ex.from leaving A Guarda (La Guardia inSpanish) where I thought. " hmm. You must not not walk alone as a female there ". On other places along the coastal I had not that feeling. But that is my (male) perception.. And I walked with my wife together,

You could try to find your co-walkers allready in Porto in the hostal where you stay and ask to join them. Most people we met during our three camino's do not know about the existing of this forum so it is good to find others in Portugal. The walk to Vila do Conde is not dangerous in my opinion and In Vila do Conde -if you do not find others- you could decide to walk the central route on which you'll meet more co walkers.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
I am from Esposende and I'm sad to hear that you and I suppose others too are re-thinking their plans and getting more un-easy regarding their trip.
Most caminos are not really isolated, it is not wilderness. Danger is not something that we should associate with this pilgrimage.

I hope you find someone to walk with, as it seems that your nervousness about walking it alone is greater than your desire to solo it.
The central route will no doubt me more populated, even allowing yourself to feel safer in the knowledge that someone will be coming behind you or will be close by.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am from Esposende and I'm sad to hear that you and I suppose others too are re-thinking their plans and getting more un-easy regarding their trip.
Most caminos are not really isolated, it is not wilderness. Danger is not something that we should associate with this pilgrimage.

I hope you find someone to walk with, as it seems that your nervousness about walking it alone is greater than your desire to solo it.
The central route will no doubt me more populated, even allowing yourself to feel safer in the knowledge that someone will be coming behind you or will be close by.
I agree with you @edumad

I will be walking the Camino Portuguese from Tui to Santiago in July ,,, What I can tell you is to trust the Pilgrimage your are undertaking. You walked twice the Camino Frances and you didnt face any problem , and Other walked the Camino Frances and Faced many Problems. Our Pilgrimage is not far from our life , it will have ups and down , but if we stayed focused on our goal , we will reach it safely and as we desired . However , said this , I do still understand , the frustration for Solo Female , but i would like to put to your attention that walking alone does not mean walking an empty road. You can always walk alone while keeping eye distance from other fellow pilgrims walking the way ,, You can meet those pilgrims in the Albergues and together decide how to travel SOLO while being watched.
so This is my small advise for you : Walk Alone , but from Eye Distance from Other Pilgrims ,,, And I'm sure when other Pilgrims will read your post , they will raise prayers for your protection ,,,
so Hit the Road and Do your Pilgrim and Will be waiting your Good News

May St James Protect You

Yes it is very sorry the incident happened. The coastal is very beautiful

I walked the Portugues coastal the other day although not all away from Porto but from Viana do Castelo- the first part I walked the central route till beyond Barcelos and then transferred to Viana do Castello. I earlier walked the coastal out of Porto to Vila do Conde but Vila do Conde to Esposende and on to Viana I do not know and there happened the incident.

But there are other places on the coastal f.ex.from leaving A Guarda (La Guardia inSpanish) where I thought. " hmm. You must not not walk alone as a female there ". On other places along the coastal I had not that feeling. But that is my (male) perception.. And I walked with my wife together,

You could try to find your co-walkers allready in Porto in the hostal where you stay and ask to join them. Most people we met during our three camino's do not know about the existing of this forum so it is good to find others in Portugal. The walk to Vila do Conde is not dangerous in my opinion and In Vila do Conde -if you do not find others- you could decide to walk the central route on which you'll meet more co walkers.

Bom caminho

Thank you so much for your reply and advice Albertinho!
It is much appreciated....
...not long from my trip now so let's hope everything goes well and I will enjoy this walk just as much as I did Camino Frances..:)!
Thanks once again..:)!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I couldn't agree more with you Edumad...very well and nicely said...:)!
I have decided to go ahead with my plan and simply go with the flow..I will see what happens on the way...I didn't plan my previous caminos at all and am doing the same this time as well...having said that, I might skip Esposende and maybe other parts as well and take different route if there will be no one to walk with..I don't wanna let fear get in my way and take over and stop me from enjoying something so special and unique....
Fingers crossed..:)!

I will be walking the Camino Portuguese from Tui to Santiago in July ,,, What I can tell you is to trust the Pilgrimage your are undertaking. You walked twice the Camino Frances and you didnt face any problem , and Other walked the Camino Frances and Faced many Problems. Our Pilgrimage is not far from our life , it will have ups and down , but if we stayed focused on our goal , we will reach it safely and as we desired . However , said this , I do still understand , the frustration for Solo Female , but i would like to put to your attention that walking alone does not mean walking an empty road. You can always walk alone while keeping eye distance from other fellow pilgrims walking the way ,, You can meet those pilgrims in the Albergues and together decide how to travel SOLO while being watched.
so This is my small advise for you : Walk Alone , but from Eye Distance from Other Pilgrims ,,, And I'm sure when other Pilgrims will read your post , they will raise prayers for your protection ,,,
so Hit the Road and Do your Pilgrim and Will be waiting your Good News

May St James Protect You

Thank you for your kind and reassuring words Walid Medavar...:)
I absolutely agree with you...and I do trust and believe that everything will be just fine...yes, Camino Frances was for me the most peaceful and safest walk I have ever experienced in my life....there were so many miracles happening every day not only to me and it was just amazing ...so let's hope it won't be any different this time...:)
I actually can't wait to start walking and become part of a 'Camino family' again...:)
Enjoy your walk in July...BUEN CAMINO:)!!!

Thank you so much for your reply and advice Albertinho!
It is much appreciated....
...not long from my trip now so let's hope everything goes well and I will enjoy this walk just as much as I did Camino Frances..:)!
Thanks once again..:)!!
You're welcome. Enjoy and bom caminho !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I couldn't agree more with you Edumad...very well and nicely said...:)!
I have decided to go ahead with my plan and simply go with the flow..I will see what happens on the way...I didn't plan my previous caminos at all and am doing the same this time as well...having said that, I might skip Esposende and maybe other parts as well and take different route if there will be no one to walk with..I don't wanna let fear get in my way and take over and stop me from enjoying something so special and unique....
Fingers crossed..:)!
Keep in mind that at several places you could leave the coastal.
At Vila do Conde head for São Pedro de Rates on the central route, In Caminha you can head for Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença do Minho to reach the central route
Once you reach the ferry from Caminha to La Guardia and cross the Minho river there is no escape from the coastal, only more desolated areas. First in Baiona you will arrive in more urban areas as being the Vigo region.
So what we have seen and with all the commotion now, women walking alone, I should not walk La Guardia to Oia alone . Outside La Guardia you will walk through a fairly desolated area. I only should do if you walk with one ore more others but the risk is that you do not find them and if you are there and you donot find anybody ......
You could walk from Viana do Castelo and Caminha and than to Valença to pick up the central route.
I do not want to scare anybody but we walked it 3and a half week ago and I am editing 6 hours of video material now and when I see the vids back and read about incidents than it is better to be warned. Hopefully nothing happens .

Last edited:
Keep in mind that several places you could leave the coastal.
At Vila do Conde head for São Pedro de Rates on the central route, In Caminha you can head for Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença do Minho to reach the central route
Once you reach the ferry from Caminha to La Guardia and cross the Minho river there is no escape from the coastal, only more desolated areas. First in Baiona you will arrive in more urban areas as being the Vigo region.
So what we have seen and with all the commotion now, women walking alone, I should not walk La Guardia to Oia alone . Outside La Guardia you will walk through a fairly desolated area. I only should do if you walk with one ore more others but the risk is that you do not find them and if you are there and you donot find anybody ......
You could walk from Viana do Castelo and Caminha and than to Valença to pick up the central route.
I do not want to scare anybody but we walked it 3and a half week ago and I am editing 6 hours of video material now and when I see the vids back and read about incidents than it is better to be warned. Hopefully nothing happens .

Thanks once again for all your advice.....everything written down and ready to 'walk'with me....am sure I'll find it very helpful on my way.....:)!!

Kat:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back