• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal Route from Oia to Santiago

John Ho

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino 2018
Hi everyone,

My wife and I did our Portuguese Camino from Tui to Santiago 4 years ago. We loved it so much, as the route was not crowded and the journey pleasant.

Next year, we hope that we can do the Portuguese Coastal Camino from Oia to Santiago. This time we want to bring some friends along as well. I have a few questions I hope I can get some answers from the experts here.

a) According to Google Maps there seems to be two places named Oia. The first Oia (where the Mosteiro de Santa María de Oia‎ is) is between A Guarda and Baiona, while the second is between Baiona and Vigo. It is the first Oia that we wish to begin our Camino from. May I know if there is a good way to differentiate the two places so that we don't get to the wrong town?

b) Is there a bus and/or train that will get us from Porto to Oia with the least changes? There are 6 of us and some luggage.

c) We intend to use Tuitrans to move our bags. Do they have an office in Oia? If so, where can I get the address?

Thank you for the help.

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Santa Maria de Oia is between A Guarda and Baiona
it is a very small village. We stayed in a hotel. About 5 kms north of Oia was (is ) an albergue . I think there there will be a bus from A Guarda or Baiona or Vigo . Depending on how you get into the area

From Porto here is a bus to Vigo or a train.
you could get from Porto to Caminha, take the ferry to A Guarda and find your bus

I don’t think there is an office of Tui Trans in Oia It is so small that you have past it before you think you will be there

happy new year and bom caminho
Albertinho

Last edited:
Santa Maria de Oia is between A Guarda and Baiona
it is a very small village. We stayed in a hotel. About 5 kms north of Oia was (is ) an albergue . I think there there will be a bus from A Guarda or Baiona or. Vigo . Depending on ho you get to the area

From Porto here is a bus to Vigo or a train.
you could get from Porto to Caminha, take the ferry to A Guarda and find your bus

I don’t think there is an office of Tui Trans in Oia It is so small that you have past is before you think you will be there

happy new year and bom caminho
Albertinho
Thank you, Albertinho. I appreciate the information. Happy New Year and bon caminho!

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oia is very small, with lots of character, we ended up there on the day of a local festival.
Another option to bus or train is to use Caminofacil. They have both a luggage transfer service on the Portuguese Coastal route and a transport/taxi service. Divided by 6 would be pretty reasonable. We found them very reliable.
Highly recommend Casa Puertas, if you like to stay in private rooms, very central in Oia. We were also a group of 6.

Last edited:
I stayed in "Little Oia" (with the monastery) the first week of Nov this year, although I later dubbed them Good (Little) Oia and Bad Oia because I was treated pretty rudely in the latter, larger town, while I had one of my best days of socializing in the former.

Casa Puertas was recommended by a local I saw on the road, but it was closed for the season. Lucky for me there is a new-ish pilgrim guesthouse called La Cala, run by an American pilgrim. It was sparkling clean, and had some private rooms.

Oia is very small, with lots of character, we ended up there on the day of a local festival.
Another option to bus or train is to use Caminofacil. They have both a luggage transfer service on the Portuguese Coastal route and a transport/taxi service. Divided by 6 would be pretty reasonable. We found them very reliable.
Highly recommend Casa Puertas, if you like to stay in private rooms, very central in Oia. We were also a group of 6.
Thank you, auburnfive, for this very helpful info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back