• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completed - Cancelled - In Flux

K_Lynn

Buen Camino!
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2021, Ingles 2023
Our Cross Canada Road Trip is completed and I am very glad to be home. I've never had a driver's license so I had none of the stress of paying attention to the road and all of the stress of paying to the road lol I'm really not meant to spend hours a day in a car. I. Do. Not. Like. It. Still, the scenery was lovely.

We were concerned about the all the fires and only had a couple of hours driving in the smoke - both in Ontario on our way East and again on our way home. But for many of our days driving we could see the haze of smoke on the horizon. We mostly lucked out with the weather and had lots of sunny days to explore parks, waterfalls and lucked out one morning arriving at a park in the Bay of Fundy at low tide to explore the long stretches of rocks and fossils that would ordinarily be covered by the ocean. We were entertained by cousins and relatives, strolled along beaches, and ate way too much.

I had planned on walking Camino Portugues starting in September and that is now cancelled. My partner has a new role within his company and it comes with more travel, he has to be back in Nova Scotia in September and Texas in October so I will be looking after the dog at home instead of walking in Portugal.

My sister had planned to join me for Camino Ingles at the end of October and it is looking like she won't be able to make it but I am still hoping to go. I'm not overly sad at the prospect of walking alone lol. I prefer having only myself to worry about. We shall see how it all plays out.

How's your summer been?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @K_Lynn
Sorry about cancelled Portuguese but lets hope one day you will find a way to get on Your Way of The Way ;)

I hear you about not liking to be in the car but hey - at least (as you said) you are not driving. I am pretty much always at the wheel so gawking at the sites is not in my habit (for a good reason obviously!) As a matter of fact I just got back from trip to Maine (10.5 hours going there and 11+ coming back) so yeah its a chore. We tried to do some hikes and did do some but not nearly as much as we hoped - rains, muddy trails and mosquitoes took their tolls on us...
We'll be going to Canada in couple of weeks towards the lakes just N of Toronto. Hopefully the smoke will be gone by then and we can enjoy the nature.

Buen Camino

@CWBuff We had one very long day drive of 1300 km (Winnipeg to Edmonton) which thankfully was the very last day driving home. We all survived lol.

The Muskokas and Kawarthas seemed to be doing ok in terms of smoke, as I said we only had a couple of hours driving in smoke once about 4 hours before Sault Ste Marie and once about 3 hours from Thunder Bay. The Thunder Bay one was a bit scary as it was brown smoke, but the fire was on an island in Lake Superior so no risk of driving through flames! If you're concerned bookmark this site as it shows active fires and smoke paths https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/curr...0a37DOmX4aCJniOiLLIrsudPRVR1pPfv3p7m_nxwg5etA

I'll make it to Portugal eventually lol. I've hinted at doing it after Ingles instead of before but we'll have to see what my partner's work schedule is going to look like into November lol. Camino isn't going anywhere and I have all my gear ready to throw in a pack at a moments notice!

Enjoy your holiday!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @K_Lynn
Sorry about cancelled Portuguese but lets hope one day you will find a way to get on Your Way of The Way ;)

I hear you about not liking to be in the car but hey - at least (as you said) you are not driving. I am pretty much always at the wheel so gawking at the sites is not in my habit (for a good reason obviously!) As a matter of fact I just got back from trip to Maine (10.5 hours going there and 11+ coming back) so yeah its a chore. We tried to do some hikes and did do some but not nearly as much as we hoped - rains, muddy trails and mosquitoes took their tolls on us...
We'll be going to Canada in couple of weeks towards the lakes just N of Toronto. Hopefully the smoke will be gone by then and we can enjoy the nature.

Buen Camino
Smoke’s been gone for about 2 weeks… significant rains. All is well in Central Ontario (except for the damage from the fires, but if you are only a few hours north, you won’t see it; the fires were more north above North Bay and on the border with Quebec — IIRC, near Arnprior etc. Mostly I just hunkered down and didn’t pay too much attention to the location of the burning and more attention to air quality in my neck of the (liferal) woods.
Enjoy your trip!

Our Cross Canada Road Trip is completed and I am very glad to be home. I've never had a driver's license so I had none of the stress of paying attention to the road and all of the stress of paying to the road lol I'm really not meant to spend hours a day in a car. I. Do. Not. Like. It. Still, the scenery was lovely.

We were concerned about the all the fires and only had a couple of hours driving in the smoke - both in Ontario on our way East and again on our way home. But for many of our days driving we could see the haze of smoke on the horizon. We mostly lucked out with the weather and had lots of sunny days to explore parks, waterfalls and lucked out one morning arriving at a park in the Bay of Fundy at low tide to explore the long stretches of rocks and fossils that would ordinarily be covered by the ocean. We were entertained by cousins and relatives, strolled along beaches, and ate way too much.

I had planned on walking Camino Portugues starting in September and that is now cancelled. My partner has a new role within his company and it comes with more travel, he has to be back in Nova Scotia in September and Texas in October so I will be looking after the dog at home instead of walking in Portugal.

My sister had planned to join me for Camino Ingles at the end of October and it is looking like she won't be able to make it but I am still hoping to go. I'm not overly sad at the prospect of walking alone lol. I prefer having only myself to worry about. We shall see how it all plays out.

How's your summer been?
I can't complain about my summer. I missed all the smoke from the wildfires being here in Spain, walking for 51 days, which just finished today. It was a great walk, but I'm looking forward to being home, too.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.