• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Conflicted about going, plane leaves Friday?

David as usual you voice so eloquently what I try to tell some pilgrims that are worried. Tx

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a comment on the issue of booking a lower bunk ahead because of health issues. On my second camino, I arrived in the late afternoon at an albergue which had only one bed available and that a top bunk. As I was then in my late 60's and arthritic, the hospitalera wanted to put me in the bottom bunk, at the time occupied by a young woman in her early 20's and apparently in good health. There was a problem, however. She had reserved a bottom bunk ahead of time, citing health reasons. The hospitalera simply left the two of us together. I said very little and waited for what would follow. The young woman did not mention health issues to me, but felt that she had a right to the bottom bunk, having reserved it ahead. I listened. Eventually, she gave in to her conscience and gave me the bottom bunk. We started to talk and it turned out that we were both religiously inclined Protestants who were feeling our way to how this catholic pilgrimage could be meaningful to us. This was the deepest conversation that I had with anyone on that camino. I think that the initial problem was the beginning of our making contact at a more personal level. The girl was learning how to be a generous and sharing pilgrim and that, in communal facilities, you don't always get what you want, even if you have arranged it in advance (but you may get what you need).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just Go Go Go my friend. My wife and I are 48 and 52. We did little serious training.....max was about 10km on a walk, so we are taking it slow. Most days we do about 12 - 15km and the other day we did just 5km to suit where we wanted to be.

BTW, doing short legs also means you get in early and spend more time in smaller Albergues. Better chance to get lower bunk.

I also suggest getting either a Spanish SIM card or a Skype account with a Spanish subscription so you can call ahead each day. Use the Buen Camino App on your smart phone to plan where you are going to stop.

Just do it YOUR Way.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum