• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

connection time in MAD

mwu94539

Time of past OR future Camino
I will start SJDP at Sept. 9, 2015
I plan to start the first day of walking on Sept. 9, 2015 from SJDP. My travel plan is as follows:

Arrival @ MAD Terminal 4S via American Airline at 11:00AM on Sept. 8, 2015
Departing for Pamplona: Terminal 4 with Iberia at 12:55PM on Sept. 8, 2015
Departing from pamplona for SJDP : 5:30PM by ALSA on Sept. 8, 2015

Do I have enough time to go through immigration control ( US passport holder ) at the airport and transfer from T4S to T4?

If I miss the flight from MAD to Pamplona, what is the transportation option that can get me to Pamplona to Catch the ALSA bus to SJDP?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do I have enough time to go through immigration control ( US passport holder ) at the airport and transfer from T4S to T4?

If your inbound flight is on time you should have enough time. The established minimum transfer time from T4S to T4 is 90 minutes (it would be just 55 minutes if both your inbound and outbound flights were with Iberia and/or Air nostrum).

If I miss the flight from MAD to Pamplona, what is the transportation option that can get me to Pamplona to Catch the ALSA bus to SJDP?

If you miss your flight, best of luck and have a plan B if you can't get on time to the bus to SJPP.

Let's see:

Taking a bus from Madrid to Pamplona you would miss your bus from Pamplona to SJPP.

Taking a train from Madrid to Pamplona you would miss your bus from Pamplona to SJPP.

Making the route from Madrid to Pamplona by road takes roughly 4 hours (or so I think)... If you decide it's early enough as to give it a try, don't forget to ask beforehand for fares to avoid surprises (a taxi would be really expensive). If you rent a car, don't forget to take into consideration the time needed to make the paperwork, pick and leave the car...

Taking the next flight to Pamplona airport (what would be free of charge if you made a single booking for all your route), you would arrive to Pamplona airport (if the flight is on time) at 17:05 (if I'm not wrong)... but you would still need to disembarck, pick your luggage, get to the downtown and navigate the bus station to find your bus...

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to start the first day of walking on Sept. 9, 2015 from SJDP. My travel plan is as follows:

Hi, mwu,

Is this all on one ticket? Iberia and American are partners, so if you booked it all on the same ticket you won't have a problem. If if you miss your connection; the airline will just have to re-route you. I fly every year through Madrid and transfer to another flight to take me to the start of my camino, and I rarely have more time than this. So I think you will be fine. But it's always a good idea to put all the travel on the same ticket so you don't have to worry about missed connections.

Buen camino, good luck, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, Castilian and Laurie,

Thanks for the information. I double-checked my airline booking. The reservation is ticketed from American airline in one ticket. I guess I am good there.

Hope my inbound flight would be on time tomorrow. I am looking forward to starting my journey :)

Regards

I'll share my experience with you and you can decide how it might apply.
I flew from the US on Iberia, into T4S and missed my connecting flight, also on Iberia in T4S. I had given myself a tight 1:25 connection time. I may have made it if I'd stopped at the very first Iberia information counter I saw to get my domestic boarding pass. I ended up spending the connection time in a longer line to get my pass. They would not check me through both flights when I was in the US because I had booked them separately. They also did not allow me to check in with my iphone and use a mobile boarding pass. Maybe you will be able to? This will save you huge amounts of time. I would suggest downloading their mobile app - I had not done this. Check in while in US - mobile check in is 24 hours before your flight.
Also, the train between T4 and T4S is 20-30 minutes, if I recall. Don't dawdle!!
Best of luck and Buen Camino!!!!

MWU:

If you miss the 12:55 flight there is another one at 16:10 but you will probably not arrive in time to catch your 17:30 bus. The train and bus will also get to Pamplona to late for your bus.

I do not know if you have a reservation in SJPdP or not for the night but you might want to try Corazonpuro.com. They will pick you up in Pamplona, feed you, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP in the morning. You could also consider just starting in Pamplona.

Hopefully all your connection will go well and this will be unnecessary.

Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll share my experience with you and you can decide how it might apply.
I flew from the US on Iberia, into T4S and missed my connecting flight, also on Iberia in T4S. I had given myself a tight 1:25 connection time. I may have made it if I'd stopped at the very first Iberia information counter I saw to get my domestic boarding pass. I ended up spending the connection time in a longer line to get my pass. They would not check me through both flights when I was in the US because I had booked them separately. They also did not allow me to check in with my iphone and use a mobile boarding pass. Maybe you will be able to? This will save you huge amounts of time. I would suggest downloading their mobile app - I had not done this. Check in while in US - mobile check in is 24 hours before your flight.
Also, the train between T4 and T4S is 20-30 minutes, if I recall. Don't dawdle!!
Best of luck and Buen Camino!!!!
Hi, Beach Rach,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have already done online check-in today.

I will get to the departing airport early tomorrow morning to get my boarding passes. I will make sure I request the boarding pass for Madrid to Pamplona leg.

Really appreciate your help here!

Regards,

MWU:

If you miss the 12:55 flight there is another one at 16:10 but you will probably not arrive in time to catch your 17:30 bus. The train and bus will also get to Pamplona to late for your bus.

I do not know if you have a reservation in SJPdP or not for the night but you might want to try Corazonpuro.com. They will pick you up in Pamplona, feed you, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP in the morning. You could also consider just starting in Pamplona.

Hopefully all your connection will go well and this will be unnecessary.

Joe
Hi, Joe,

Thanks for the information. I already made reservation at SJPdP & ALSA bus ride at 5:30PM departing from Pamplona.

My plan B would be taking the next flight from Madrid to Pamplona ( if I miss 12:55PM departure ), and try my luck to share taxi ride to SJPdP from Pamplona.

Wish me good luck tomorrow :(

Regards,

Hi, mwu, You should have no problems unless the flight into Madrid is hugely delayed. And then they will just automatically rebook you for the later flight. Good luck and buen camino! Laurie

p.s. the train between T4 and T4S takes about 4 minutes, and comes every two or three minutes.

To speed things up in Barajas T4, always take the elevator when possible. Some of those escalator connections are two and three flights up and take a long time!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.