• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Countdown to Camino Frances ETA May 3/5

RoseKnows

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Camino Norte (TBD)
Camino Portugues (TBD)
Hi Everyone, I just finalized some flight plans to Europe a week ago.

Currently, I have started my research and planning for my flight/train from Paris on May 3 to arrive in SJDP... any tips on the best way to get there? and I am guessing I wouldn't officially start the walk until possible May 4 or 5... Love this forum and all the other information that is out there regarding the Camino de Santiago...

Before the Camino, I'll be in Morroco and after the Camino, I will spend some time in Portugal so I plan to let the Camino help me find my way... and hope to finish in Muxio...

Anyone else leaving from Paris on May 3rd and wondering how does one determine when to start the Camino once you arrive at SJDP.

Look forward to meeting everyone on this path!

Buen Camino...

Some Inspiration that helped me to decide to "just do it" as I did the Inca Trail a few years ago and Death Road Mountain Biking in Bolivia:

I'm 60 and I did Machu Picchu as well.
I did camino this year from May till June all 800km from France to Santiago. This one is much easier then Machu Picchu. I met a lot of pilgrims older then 70. One guy is at 80 done it 16 times since he was 64. And you don't have to do it fast. 20km a day will be good pace.

Go for it!! :) I walked with many older than you and they all made the journey. The hardest part is making up your mind to do it. Nowhere is too far if you have time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are plenty of threads about how to get from Paris to SJPdP. A great deal of the planning involves what time of day you arrive in Paris and whether you plan to spend any time there. Bordeaux and Bilbao have airports which make access to SJPdP less time consuming.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are plenty of threads about how to get from Paris to SJPdP. A great deal of the planning involves what time of day you arrive in Paris and whether you plan to spend any time there. Bordeaux and Bilbao have airports which make access to SJPdP less time consuming.
Thanks, so I guess to find them all, just "google search" and decide... I will be leaving Paris on May 3 as I am staying there for a few days... so just looking at all the alternatives on how to get to SDJP and what day to "officially" start so I can book it in the next couple of days.

By threads, I meant thread on this Forum, they are a good place to start along with consulting Rome2Rio. The choices are pretty simple: train from Montparnasse to Bayonne via Bordeux or plane to Biazzitz. Bus from the airport to Bayonne and then bus from Bayonne to SJPdP unless the train is running again this summer.

Last edited:
I will be just a few days behind you. We are flying into Biarritz via Paris and have booked a shuttle to SJPdP. Arriving May 9th. Heading out the next morning but only as far as Orisson. My husband is walking to Pamplona then meeting up with me again in Sarria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.