• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential in Valladolid and join the Madrid way

Komatic

After reading this forum for a couple of years I grabbed a backpack, locked the doors and ended up in Valladolid, the closest airport to where the dart struck. I am here, my luggage is nowhere to be found but Iberia airlines tells me not to worry. My plan was to bus to Leon, but now I am thinking of joining the Camino Madrid at Simancas or Penaflor de Hornija. My questions are, where can I get a credential in Valladolid, where is a good place to start ( I'm just going to get a bus to a good start place that is not too rigorous, because although I am a fit swimmer,and walk often,I have not been a hiker for many years). The doors are locked at home and time is not a problem. I was thinking North half of the Madrid route to the Frances, then over to Leon and then up to Oviedo, (my original desired route), and then the northern route. I am sure someone here can give me good advice re the route and source of a credential. For the location of the backpack and gear I will seek the help from a more authorative source.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the event that you decide to go on the Frances, the train ride from Valladolid to Fromista is quite short.

Hi, Komatic,
Welcome to the forum, and sorry about your pack. I hope Iberia is right.

I would hazard the guess that if you are going to find a credencial anywhere in Valladolid, it will be at the cathedral. Or at least they should able to tell you where to get it. But maybe someone else knows for sure. Since Valladolid isn't actually on any camino, it may be a bit more complicated, but surely there are lots of people from Vallodolid who walk and need a credencial.

I am going to walk the Camino de Madrid starting in a few weeks, so I have been looking at maps and information. I think that the best way to start the Camino de Madrid from Valladolid would be to take a bus to Simancas, which is only a few kms away, regular and frequent buses, and right on the route. You can head north from there. If you have access to a printer, there's a very good guide on the Confraternity of St. James' website. Here's the link: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm
It seems that the Camino de Madrid is very well marked, and that the albergue situation is very good north of Simancas.

By the time you get to Leon you should be in great hiking shape, so think about whether you want to walk from Leon to Oviedo on the Camino del Salvador. I don't know if that's what you were planning or not, but let me just cast one vote strongly in favor. It's spectacular, goes right up over the mountains from Castilla y Leon into Asturias. There is also a short online guide to that Camino on the same website.

Good luck with this, buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello

I suspect you won't be able to get a credencial in Valladolid - if not do not worry. In these circumstances you can make your own - a simple sheet of paper with the details of your pilgrimage and some boxes. Get a sellos where you can. It may be that one of the albergues on the route will have a supply of credenciales but if not I am sure they will happy to see that you are a pilgrim and have some sellos. As soon as you hit the Camino Frances at Sahagun you will be able to get a credencial.

Good luck and let us know how you get on please.

John

Komatic,

Here is what I found for you in Valladolid. You can get a credential there:

''Arzobispado de Valladolid que esta por detras del teatro Calderon''.

Buen Camino,
Jean-Marc

Thank you Jean -Marc. I am a fellow Canuck, hence the Komatic nom de plume. I went to the city hall as soon as I received your reply, but being Saturday, they had closed at noon. I can leave on Tuesday instead of Monday. Time is not a limited. Valladolid is a great place. I am downtown in the old city, and I generally love the old cities. I planned a few days to acclimatize, wind down, get over my jet lag,and get my bearings. Don't want to leave feeling I have rushed away, never to return. Monday morning I will try again for my credential, and if it does not work out I will make my own, following the advice of John Walker. Ian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To John and Laurie,seasoned hikers both, I thank you for your replies and will follow your advice. John, I have downloaded your info and hope to be able to add any info I find enroute, and wil be all to happy to donate when I once again have access to those facilities. Ian

Komatic,

Be careful, the place I'm sending you to is not the ''cityhall'' but the Archbishopric.
You should be able to get service there on a sunday, shouldn't you?

Good luck,
Jean-Marc

Hi, Komatic,

Hope you figure out the credencial, but as Johnnie Walker says, a handmade substitute will be just fine till you find a "real" one.

To add a bit more information to Canuck's post, I have found the the address of the Azobispado is Calle San Juan de Dios, 5, just behind the Calderon Theater. A phone number is listed on their web page, 983 217929, with the information that the office is open mornings until 2 pm.

BTW, I am wondering if you are staying in a nice place while you're in Valladolid, would you mind telling me the name? I'm going to take a detour there to visit the city and will probably be spending a night there.

Thanks much, buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie
The place at which I am staying would not be "nice" by north American standards, but proved adequate for me. It was the cheapest I could find on the Internet at about Eu 40 /night. One or two people, same price. I just needed a place to stay, decompress and acclimatize. This place is fulfilling that requirement. It is centrally located near "the circular" in the old town. Very close to the cathedral and the other Valladolid sights. I saw one pension near by but did not enquire for rates. The hotel is small, 28 rooms and seems to fill up most nights. It is more " family run" type of place. The beds are clean and remade daily, and each room has it's own bathroom, but quite small. I don't have enough experience to recommend or not. Someone else pointed out that Valladolid is not on a Camino route, but tonight downtown there were camino shells in the sidewalk and " public art " peregrinos with staff and packs in the main street. Maybe that's just something that cities do here in Spain.
Enjoying myself so far, Ian.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.