• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Burgos - Leon

LINDALICON

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Sarria-Santiago (2016); Viana-Burgos (2017); Roncesvalles a Viana (2018)
Hi Everyone, my name is Linda and a group of us each year do different parts of the Camino Frances. Our intention for 2019 is to do Burgos to Leon on a bike and then Leon to Sarria walking, having already done Sarria to Santiago in a previous year. The majority of us are novice cyclists and may have to walk and push from time to time, so we were thinking of perhaps doing it over 3 to 4 days. What does anyone think please?. Also, some of us are fearful of busy main roads like the N120. Are there times we would be cycling that or can it all be done off a main road?. Thanks for any help in advance. Buen Camino!.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Linda,

Lots of people cycle the whole route off-road. However, I wouldn't worry too much about the N-120 being busy on that stretch, it's a largely a wide road, it's fairly quiet and it's pretty flat. Personally, given that the road runs next to the path along a lot of this stretch I would stick to the road and let the walkers have peace on the path until you get near Leon. I'm not sure when the road works into Leon are due to be completed but the current road route into Leon is pretty terrifying if the road is busy. I'm not sure how cyclists have got on with the current walking diversion, it looks pretty steep. Hopefully the old (safe) route into Leon will be open again when you go. Getting out of Burgos is quite nice, I followed the cycle path along the river.

There are some places where the road route detours from the walking route, for example, if you take the road you miss out on Castrojeriz and the hill. I should imagine it's very expensive but I think staying at the castle in Olmillos de Sasamon could be fun.

3-4 days is a pretty relaxed pace, some people on this forum can easily walk Burgos to Leon in 4 days :)

Helen

Hi Linda,

I cycled from SJPDP last year, between Burgos and Fromista I used the track because it was as wide as a road anyway, it was fairly flat and I didn't think there was a road alternative. The huge hill after Castrojeriz is a great experience with the best views on the Camino. I then used the roads after Fromista into Leon because they were quiet and ran parallel to the A-231 freeway which takes most of the traffic. As a first time cyclist myself, I would recommend not doing anymore than about 50-60 km per day otherwise you will be exhausted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Linda,

I recently biked from Castrojeriz to Sahagun on the Camino. It was not a particularly enjoyable ride for me and I won't do it again.

I'm not an ace cyclist, but I'm not a novice either. First biking up huge hill after Castrojeriz was a challenge. But what was worse was the pebble-infest path all the way to Fromista after that. Many a time it felt like I didn't have any control of my bike. Also you have to be continuously mindful of not getting in the way of pilgrims. Often the walking path becomes so narrow, that you cannot bike past the pilgrims unless they move over to the edge. As you near Sahagun, the pebble infested path descends sharply. I didn't anticipate the sudden descent, lost control of my bike, fell and injured myself including a cut on my forehead.

On reflection, I realized that I really didn't get to self-reflect or enjoy the sights and sounds as much as I do when I walk as I was primarily concerned about managing my bike.

This is purely my own experience of biking part of the Meseta. I'm sure others will have their own take on it as indicated above.

What does anyone think please?. Also, some of us are fearful of busy main roads like the N120. Are there times we would be cycling that or can it all be done off a main road?.

@LINDALICON , greetings

I walked Burgos to Leon in October 2017. In my view a significant part of that route is not at all suitable for bikes.

For example: from Tarjados to Hontanas the way is often a dirt road rutted from rain run off. When I encounter such a surface I often step sideways to have a good footing. A cyclist coming from behind may not be able to anticipate my actions and most probably I do not know (see below) that a cyclist is behind me.

For example: shortly after Hontanas the path is little better than a sheep / goat track along the hill side. The issue is you will not know where these sections are until you encounter them. Passing opportunities may be non existent and walking beside your bike may be problematic. And the opportunity to turn back more awkward than pressing on, on foot.

There are many other places after Roncesvalles, down from Alto del Perdon, after Los Arcos, ascent from Sarria, descent into Portomarin to name a few more, where cyclists just should not venture - narrow or winding or unstable surface or a combination.

You say some of your group "are fearful of busy roads". My observations include:

Where ever possible I walk on roads. And that is what I did from Carrion to Mansilla, on a not very busy N-120 or similar;

From the perspective of a walker, having cyclists on the Way is, in effect, bringing the look, feel and noise of the busy road to them;

In my part of the world, shared paths have official signage showing (vertically) an image of a pedestrian, an image of a cyclist and the text "Pedestrian Priority". And in some cases, to avoid doubt, "Cyclists give way to pedestrians";

I, like a number of older people and others not so old, have hearing loss. Often the first time we "hear" a cyclist on the Way is as they try to brush past on a narrow path.

To tie this altogether, I hope you and others of your group are content, on narrow paths (say, less than 1.5 metres wide - bring your tape measure), to not ring your bell (it may not be heard) but dismount and walk behind.

In the meantime, I wish you kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.