• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Camino Portugues: googlemaps, touring vs mountain bike, gear

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
My brother and I plan to cycle the Camino Portugues in mid-April 2024. We both can no longer hike for medical reasons. I have several questions, and if you can illuminate the concern, I will very much appreciate your reply.

BTW, I’m sorry in advance that I have several questions. If you might offer a response to any of it, every bit will help!

Is the Googlemaps app for the Camino Portugues cycling times and elevation accurate? For example, from the Cathedral of Lisbon to Santarem it is 91 km and shows a 4 hr 44 minute ride on “mostly flat terrain”. Experiences?

Just how steep are the ascents on the Camino Portugues? Some sections, e.g., Tomar to Alvorge show 53 km with an elevation gain of 479 m (1600 ft) as “very steep”.

Is the Tomar to Alvorge ride in one climb, or a cumulative climb?

Has anyone cycled the Camino on a dual suspension mountain bike? Thoughts?

My brother bought a touring bike. I was planning to bring my dual suspension mountain bike. With his touring bike smooth tires, my brother will easily outdistance me. In order to keep apace of my brother, I am considering converting my dual suspension mountain bike to a touring bike, i.e., change out my knobby tires for smooth, fast rolling tires; change my flat pedals for SPDs/flats, change out my wide handlebars, etc. Every bike gear I own is intended for mountain biking, even my hydration pack. Any suggestions?

All of my helmets are mountain biking helmets (rugged cerebellum protection). How important is it to use a road cycling helmet?

All of my mountain biking gloves are full finger. Why use open finger road cycling gloves?

My local mountain bike rides average 26-32 km (16-20 miles) in 3-4 hours 2-3X/week on intermediate/advanced technical single track, with 1-2 climbs of 1,600-1,900 ft each. Is this sufficient preparation for the rigors of the Camino?

What else to prepare for?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A lot of questions, general and specific but don't sweat the small stuff. You'll be fit enough for the Portuguese. Caminos can be ridden on any bike, it depends whether you ride the Camino or the road. Use an OSM navigation app not GM. More tomorrow but you'll have several replies by then. Richard

A lot of questions, general and specific but don't sweat the small stuff. You'll be fit enough for the Portuguese. Caminos can be ridden on any bike, it depends whether you ride the Camino or the road. Use an OSM navigation app not GM. More tomorrow but you'll have several replies by then. Richard
Thanks for the tips. In bygone years, sweating the small stuff was not my focus. Alas, that perspective is best for normal, healthy people. With the progression of my 2 auto immune diseases in my body, despite excellent healthcare at a world class medical center, nowadays I find it important to plan ahead, so that I am not carted away to the emergency room nor hospitalized for days, weeks or months. Been there, done that.

Sweating the small stuff? While a lot of folks know that rheumatoid arthritis can severely affect joints, how many are aware that rheumatoid arthritis can cause systemic problems, even at the cellular level? For example, rheumatoid arthritis can alter the stem cells in your spinal canal to form abnormal red blood cells, which develop misshapen, irregularly shaped, and with insufficient hemoglobin, so that your red blood cells cannot take on enough oxygen from your lungs to feed the cells in your body. You betcha, that’s me.

So it’s important for me to know what to expect, so that I may plan better and thus avoid a ride in an ambulance, a long hospitalization and convalescence, or God forbid, cause an accident and injure a townsperson or pilgrim.

We each have our own journeys, spiritually and healthwise. Some have it easier or harder than others.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

The portugues (I only know the part from Porto) is all on very decent (urban) roads, mostly flat, nothing a normal bike couldn't do. The people I've seen biking it were doing so on a very simple rental bike (hard tail, with gravel type tyres). You wouldn't need a fully at all. That being said if you're comfortable riding your bike on urban style roads, go for it. As for helmet, anything goes, but you wouldn't need a full face protecting downhill type one.

I meet up with a couple who had to switch to biking after a few days due to injury and they rented the bikes there, and those were simple touring style bikes.

Hope this helps!
Buen camino

Unless your bike is specifically adjusted for you, any bike should do and it may be simpler to rent. Suggest hardtail MTB's or Gravel as they can switch between off-road and on-road where necessary.

Contact BikeIberia in Lisbon and ask some of your questions there. They have lots of people renting bikes to travel the Caminos in Portugal and in Spain. They should be able to advise on the terrain, gradients and which sort of bike is suitable.

Traffic on the Camino will be light before Porto where many start.

I sometimes plan routes that I might do one day. So here is Lisbon - Porto by road together with POI's including rail stations should you need them. You can also download the GPS track to play with. Also gives you an idea of elevation

Last edited:
I always thought Google Maps determined walking time by dividing distance by 3 miles per hour. I just tested it by asking it to do a walking route up a tourist road on a mountain and it adjusted to 2.25 mph. So Google MAY work the way you want.

Also use apps that use OpenStreetMap data to produce their base maps (like OSMand but there are others). Download the maps over wifi so you won't use your data allotment when on the move and pick the full version of the maps so you get to see trails (not the roads only version). Also consider adding the elevation contour option. If you visit OpenStreetMap.com you can view maps with various formats including at least one intended for cyclists. I know it shows water fountains and probably cycle repair shops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK, so your second post complements but also complicates the picture. Perhaps only you know what you can or cannot achieve; none of the Caminos are difficult or technical for anybody with your riding experience. Addressing your questions in sequence;

Mid April the weather could still be wet, cold & windy, you will have to check the forecast before leaving the States. Also predominant wind is often from the north, but not always, get yourself the Windy app.

Googlemaps is good for finding the nearest coffee stop, grocery store, restaurant but is IMO shite for navigation. Apps that use OSM include Komoot & Mapy; the Buen Camino app also shows the camino route & profile., others recommend Gronze. For specific route / profiles Buen Camino should provide the answers, if sections are too long, too steep, too rough there will (nearly) always be a road option.

Bike & gear; I've used both full-sus & hard-tail, but generally I'd say hard-tail / gravel is the preferred option unless your medical conditions causes discomfort on bumpy roads (Portugal has a lot of granite-sett roads - look it up) then maybe full-sus. (However full-sus opens up the difficulty of carrying your gear, either a specific rear rack, cargo cages and / or frame bags...... more to think about.) You don't need a full face helmet, full finger gloves are OK, cut the ends off if it gets too hot (unlikely in April), plus you'll need clothing for the wet, the wind & the cool / cold. Hydration pack is OK but don't carry too much in a back-pack.

What Else; yes, look at renting a hardtail / gravel bike to save the angst of travelling with your own bike - bring your own pedals, saddle, bags etc. Short, steep hills & setts. Decide whether to ride the camino or the adjacent road, some people do both depending on conditions, how you feel, weather, distance to go. Don't worry about pre-booking accommodation except in Lisbon, April is quiet and you'll be able to judge how busy it's getting after Porto. There is plenty of info on this forum and some tours on CGOAB.

Enjoy, hope you manage OK.

Hi,

The portugues (I only know the part from Porto) is all on very decent (urban) roads, mostly flat, nothing a normal bike couldn't do. The people I've seen biking it were doing so on a very simple rental bike (hard tail, with gravel type tyres). You wouldn't need a fully at all. That being said if you're comfortable riding your bike on urban style roads, go for it. As for helmet, anything goes, but you wouldn't need a full face protecting downhill type one.

I meet up with a couple who had to switch to biking after a few days due to injury and they rented the bikes there, and those were simple touring style bikes.

Hope this helps!
Buen camino
My brother and I plan to cycle the Camino Portugues in mid-April 2024. We both can no longer hike for medical reasons. I have several questions, and if you can illuminate the concern, I will very much appreciate your reply.

BTW, I’m sorry in advance that I have several questions. If you might offer a response to any of it, every bit will help!

Is the Googlemaps app for the Camino Portugues cycling times and elevation accurate? For example, from the Cathedral of Lisbon to Santarem it is 91 km and shows a 4 hr 44 minute ride on “mostly flat terrain”. Experiences?

Just how steep are the ascents on the Camino Portugues? Some sections, e.g., Tomar to Alvorge show 53 km with an elevation gain of 479 m (1600 ft) as “very steep”.

Is the Tomar to Alvorge ride in one climb, or a cumulative climb?

Has anyone cycled the Camino on a dual suspension mountain bike? Thoughts?

My brother bought a touring bike. I was planning to bring my dual suspension mountain bike. With his touring bike smooth tires, my brother will easily outdistance me. In order to keep apace of my brother, I am considering converting my dual suspension mountain bike to a touring bike, i.e., change out my knobby tires for smooth, fast rolling tires; change my flat pedals for SPDs/flats, change out my wide handlebars, etc. Every bike gear I own is intended for mountain biking, even my hydration pack. Any suggestions?

All of my helmets are mountain biking helmets (rugged cerebellum protection). How important is it to use a road cycling helmet?

All of my mountain biking gloves are full finger. Why use open finger road cycling gloves?

My local mountain bike rides average 26-32 km (16-20 miles) in 3-4 hours 2-3X/week on intermediate/advanced technical single track, with 1-2 climbs of 1,600-1,900 ft each. Is this sufficient preparation for the rigors of the Camino?

What else to prepare for?
Yes…gravel type tires for both bikes that will be suitable for pavement, gravel and tracks. Minimum 40mm. 48mm if possible.

Any good, proper fitting helmet is fine.
I would think that suspension adds little to the experience.
I would not worry about hills. The issue is not hills. The issue is gradient. Over 6% and you will be walking. Pushing your bike uphill for a km or 2 is not fun but you will get used to it.
Gloves are a nice to have but not essential.
50km a day is very doable.

Hi,

Hope this helps!
Buen camino
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, as well as your suggestions. The last time that I used a hardtail for half an hour, my joints were still in pain the next day. I just had two finger joint replacements, and riding one of my full suspension mountain bikes up and down my canyon and the field near me … well, let’s just say that I cannot imagine riding on cobblestone streets just yet. I did research the rental bikes in Portugal, and they’re all hardtails. So they are a no go for me.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always thought Google Maps determined walking time by dividing distance by 3 miles per hour. I just tested it by asking it to do a walking route up a tourist road on a mountain and it adjusted to 2.25 mph. So Google MAY work the way you want.

Also use apps that use OpenStreetMap data to produce their base maps (like OSMand but there are others). Download the maps over wifi so you won't use your data allotment when on the move and pick the full version of the maps so you get to see trails (not the roads only version). Also consider adding the elevation contour option. If you visit OpenStreetMap.com you can view maps with various formats including at least one intended for cyclists. I know it shows water fountains and probably cycle repair shops.
Thanks, this is helpful! I will check out your suggestions, and follow your tips.

OK, so your second post complements but also complicates the picture. Perhaps only you know what you can or cannot achieve; none of the Caminos are difficult or technical for anybody with your riding experience. Addressing your questions in sequence;

Mid April the weather could still be wet, cold & windy, you will have to check the forecast before leaving the States. Also predominant wind is often from the north, but not always, get yourself the Windy app.

Googlemaps is good for finding the nearest coffee stop, grocery store, restaurant but is IMO shite for navigation. Apps that use OSM include Komoot & Mapy; the Buen Camino app also shows the camino route & profile., others recommend Gronze. For specific route / profiles Buen Camino should provide the answers, if sections are too long, too steep, too rough there will (nearly) always be a road option.

Bike & gear; I've used both full-sus & hard-tail, but generally I'd say hard-tail / gravel is the preferred option unless your medical conditions causes discomfort on bumpy roads (Portugal has a lot of granite-sett roads - look it up) then maybe full-sus. (However full-sus opens up the difficulty of carrying your gear, either a specific rear rack, cargo cages and / or frame bags...... more to think about.) You don't need a full face helmet, full finger gloves are OK, cut the ends off if it gets too hot (unlikely in April), plus you'll need clothing for the wet, the wind & the cool / cold. Hydration pack is OK but don't carry too much in a back-pack.

What Else; yes, look at renting a hardtail / gravel bike to save the angst of travelling with your own bike - bring your own pedals, saddle, bags etc. Short, steep hills & setts. Decide whether to ride the camino or the adjacent road, some people do both depending on conditions, how you feel, weather, distance to go. Don't worry about pre-booking accommodation except in Lisbon, April is quiet and you'll be able to judge how busy it's getting after Porto. There is plenty of info on this forum and some tours on CGOAB.

Enjoy, hope you manage OK.
Thanks for all of the helpful information! I very much appreciate that you considered my health challenges in your perspective. Flying with a bike has been fine so far, and I thank you for your advice. I downloaded the apps, and I will test them while I travel in Italy this year before the camino. I concur on the problematics of adding gear racks to a mountain bike. So I hired a luggage transfer service instead.

I’m accustomed to riding with my hydration pack, snacks, wind/rain jacket, and bike tools for 4+ hours over 1-2+ mile (1.6-2.3 km) steep ascents and downhills, so my camino plan has us stopping in towns every 4-5 hours for at least a night‘s rest. To help me recover from chronic fatigue, I built into my camino 2-3 days of rest every now and then.

Short, steep hills & setts.
For the Camino Portugues, starting from Lisbon, the most elevation gain I found on one leg is 2,100 ft from Tomar to Alvorge. From your comment, the total climb appears to be a cumulative ascent. Correct? Wondering what is the gradient?

Last edited:
I would think that suspension adds little to the experience.
I would not worry about hills. The issue is not hills. The issue is gradient. Over 6% and you will be walking. Pushing your bike uphill for a km or 2 is not fun but you will get used to it.
Thanks for your advice, appreciate it!
Full suspension on uneven terrain saves riders with painful spinal, shoulder, hand, hip issues like me, so that we may ride the next day. I do not want to ride over cobblestones with only front fork suspension, which is the typical touring bike.
The gradient is important, concur. I regularly ascend 14% gradient on technical uphills. My area has some local backcountry trails well over 14%, and I walk with my bike. Anything over 14%, you betcha that I will be pushing my bike uphill. That will give me more time to converse with other pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back