• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Shorts: Road or Mountain Biking Type?

rfii

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning
I am new to long distance biking (or any type of biking for that matter) and would like to know whether one should buy mountain biking shorts or road cycling shorts for the Camino Frances. I don't plan to bike an aggressive distance each day and don't care about speed; my main concern is sores/chaffing/annoyances/injuries/etc since I have never biked for so many days. I am a very fit adult male if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I normally wear mountain bike shorts that have the tights for rd cycling built in. It gives you plenty of pockets with the anti chaffing inside.

Regular road type bike shorts are far more comfortable, they don't flap, they don't get caught on your saddle, they have fewer seams, they are easier to wash and dry. Some people do not like how they look. There have even been threads here telling people how to dress---forget practicality, we have a dress code out there!

If you can, ignore the fashion police, and wear the most comfortable and practical shorts you find. They will probably be some sort of black lycra with a synthetic padding.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a mountain biker and I never wore road biker pants before my Camino...after a 1,000 km you will be glad you wore padded road biker pants...and I have always said I would never wear padded road biker pants but I am glad I did for my Camino.

Last edited:
I cycled from Bilbao on the Camino del Norte. I brought two pairs of Canari Velo Gel padded cycling shorts and they held up perfectly. Easy to wash and dry and if you wanted to slip some shorts over them it was easy. I ended up putting the gel seat cover on the bike seat a little over halfway through, cause the extra padding was nice. Either way you're gonna end up with calluses on your bum. You just get used to it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks! I will get some padded road cycling shorts then.

Does it matter what kind of shorts to wear over the padded bike pants or is it important to get bicycle shorts since the seams are in different spots?

Also, do padded road cycling shorts = mountain biking short liners?

I rode from Pamplona to Santiago in Sep 2015 and I wore my padded (lycra) shorts under another pair of "baggy" shorts. The padded shorts don't have the necessary pockets I find I need on long day rides. The over shorts also reduced the chances of offence when going into cafes/shops/bars at lunch stops.

As for fashion v comfort - well you will see just about every fashion style on the camino - I will vote for comfort over style every time. One rider - if you are riding during high summer (July/August) the padded shorts can get a bit sticky by days end, especially if you intend to cycle more than 50 km or five hours in a day. Happy riding!!

Hola - I was just doing some cleaning up and came across one of my many cycle (padded) shorts. Included in the list are a pair of combine "baggy shorts with a padded insert". They are both light and airy so less perspiration build-up and whilst they are not as heavily padded as the ones the professionals wear they may prove satisfactory for you if you are riding four (4) hours or less each day. Check out your nearest cycle supply shop and do a test run!! Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My 2 cents. On long distance rides I wear padded road bike shorts (skin tight lycra). Over them I wear CWX stabilyx tights. The reason is warmth and more importantly, performance. CWX tights are a kind of performance compression tights. They are different in that the have special inserts sewn into the legs that help provide extra support to your knees and help calf and thigh muscles.

CWX has run tests on athletes to see how much energy they expend with and without their tights. It is a 20% to 30% difference. I am a believer. I got them for running half marathons and use them for all endurance activities, skiing, mountain climbing, running, long distance biking.

http://cw-x.com/how-it-works/

You can also buy what look like mountain bike shorts that also have padded inner liners in them that are lycra. I have a set. What I don't like about them, is what other people have reported at speed then the shorts tend to flap about and chafe your legs.

For my Pamplona to Santiago Camino I will use the compression CWX stability tights over padded road bike shorts, even though I am going to do as much of the trail as possible.

I do road cycling and MTB and have worn padded shorts with and without baggy shorts on top.
I find a MTB-specific short is only annoying when it is very hot (added layer=added heat) or you are doing high rpm. Get a pair made of stretchy fabric and you'll hardly notice them.
They are not cumborsome otherwise and if you are modest about having revealing clothing in a restaurant or inside a church then you'll be more at ease.

I am new to long distance biking (or any type of biking for that matter) and would like to know whether one should buy mountain biking shorts or road cycling shorts for the Camino Frances. I don't plan to bike an aggressive distance each day and don't care about speed; my main concern is sores/chaffing/annoyances/injuries/etc since I have never biked for so many days. I am a very fit adult male if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Hi,
You may want to check out our blog of our trip on bikes, hopefully it will give you a few hints.
http://portugalcaminobike.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/cycling-portuguese-camino.html
Cheers
Gerry & Heather

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

Cycling the Del Norte I am attempting a 780km Camino combo starting in Leon on 25 April and a friend from the Netherlands wants to join me and cycle the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago. It...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back