• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Camino Frances - 2014

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked from Astorga to SDC in May 2012.
Cycled the Frances from SJPP May 2014
Cycled the Portuguese from Lisbon May 2016
I had prepared these notes upon my return from Santiago having cycled the Frances with a friend from SJPD in May 2014 and when things were still fresh in my mind I had jotted down these salient points. I have made a video on Youtube
which might give an overview of what to expect. It was a great experience and am dying to plan the next one, so here goes ......

To get to the starting point carrying our own bikes we travelled from Malta to Madrid with Ryanair, got a pre booked bus from Madrid Airtport to Pamplona and shared a taxi to SJPD.

One of the dilemmas was the amount of time I should plan for cycling the whole Camino from SJPP. Although most people are free spirited and just walk/cycle till they feel like or are able to, I am more of a person who likes to have a plan. Not a rigid one mind you but I wanted an agenda. I also did not know whether I should stick to the walkers' path, the road or a bit of both but which bits should be cycled where? These were my biggest dilemmas I think. So I searched the net and I found a program that seemed to match my level of fitness and apatite http://camino.xacobeo.es/sites/default/files/camino/2009/12/1521_french-way_0.pdf . I think its a very good program because it stops you in iconic towns which is what I wanted. I wanted to arrive at my destination, shower and go out exploring places like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos etc. So even though there were days were I could have cycled much more, I still stopped in these places. I tend to get a bit bored in the smaller remote villages where there isn't that much to do and see...but that's me.

In terms of the path, well I can say we cycled about 95% of the walkers' route except:

1) All of Day 1 (SJPP to Roncesvalles) - I had heard so many bad stories that I did not want to risk an injury or a bicycle problem on day 1 so we cycled the Valcarlos route ie the road. Still beautiful, still tough but doable. We also sent our bags to Roncesvalles to make things easier but I doubt there was need for that.

2) Part of Day 3- The steep descent from Alto de Pedron. We were advised by a woman selling drinks at the top that it is recommended to take the road and we did.

3) Part of Day 11 - the steep descent from Cruz de Ferro. Again, I had walked down and I knew the loose stony terrain would be a leg breaker, plus every now and then I enjoyed clocking up a bit of speed :)

4) Part of Day 12 - I chose to to the climb to O'Cebreiro (from Ambasmestas or thereabouts) on the road. I had walked up 2 years before on the walkers route and I knew I would be pushing the bike for most of the way

5) When the path was literally parallel to the road, not to keep ringing our bells and slaloming through walkers, we cycled on the tarmac.

Otherwise, all the route was in my opinion doable. We also found it very convenient to follow the walkers route in and out of big cities as this is where you can get confused. The walkers' path is much better signed than the road. We even road on pavements which seems to be normal practice in Spain so we weren't that bothered.

In terms of safety, we really never even thought of anything happening to the bikes. We only used our lock once, in a convent of all places, but the nun told us to lock them. I never even took any bits off like the torch or the GoPro camera holder etc. Safety was really never an issue. If we stopped for a coffee, we always chose places where the bikes could be in sight but in all the places we stayed in the bikes where well parked, usually in special designated places and really there was no problem. I do advice you rinse the chain and bits regularly as with the dust from the path things start to get a bit cranky. We also bought some oil and we used to oil the chain every few or three days.

In terms of fun, we loved every minute of it. To be honest it can be done in less time but we wanted to take our time and visit all those places. Yes there were hills, but once you're at the top you just feel great for getting over the challenge. We were lucky with the weather, but do prepare for some rainy days. Also, not having excessive weight helps. We just had about 6 kgs each. A few cycling outfits and one evening outfit plus flip flops for the warmer days. 3 pairs of underwear, 3 pairs of socks, a microfiber towel plus a silk liner. On the cooler days we wore our trainers again to wonder around the town. Another thing we did not take were our clip-on cycling shoes. I would not have felt safe being clipped in on some rougher paths so we went for normal hard sole trainers. That was another dilemma and now in hindsight I know it was the right decision.

We had some really cold morning starts and I wish I had full finger gloves. In fact I got chill blains which are very itchy and uncomfortable. One thing I was not happy with is we both got bitten by bed bugs at some Albergue so be prepared with hydrocortizone cream or something your pharmacist recommends.

Re bicycle tyres - if you're planning to cycle the walkers' path do get off-road tyres. there are a lot of arguments about getting road tyres or off road tyres and believe me there are times when you will be going on some rough terrain and you want a bit of bounce. We had Continental XKings 2.2 on our bikes. Didn't get one single puncture.

There is a good company in Santiago to pack your bikes at the end for a mere Eur21.... http://www.elvelocipedo.com/Velocipedo/Ingles/Velo_EmbalajeI.html. they did a fantastic job.

Buen Camino
Michelle

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Michelle,
I cycled the same route as you starting on March 25th 2014 (snow 2 feet deep at Roncesvalles!) with my eldest daughter Katie (I was 48 and Katie 25 at the time) - we found it to be the most rewarding experience we had ever had. Yes it was difficult at times (a favourite saying of ours being "whatever goes up - keeps going up") but the sense of achievement at the end of each day was more than I can describe here. I will be travelling the Camino again this year in August, this time walking with my two youngest.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Michelle, found your video on you tube as im looking to also cycle from pamplona to santiago in or around sept 2017
could you tell me how you transported the bikes to and from spain ? where did you fly to ? did you fly in and out of Santiago or two different airports ? and was there any issues with the bike boxes?

Kind regards

DARREN.

Hi Darren
We boxed the bikes at home in a carton box we got from a bike shop. They usually throw loads of them away. We flew into Madrid and took a bus to Pamplona. You can book online for yourself and the bike, bike still boxed. At pamplona bus station we assembled the bikes and threw away the box. In Santiago there's a bike shop called Velocípedo http://www.elvelocipedo.com/ which we've used twice. Cycle to them, leave your bike there for packing for just €25 including a new carton box and arrange for them to pick you up in a taxi, which will have your bike in it, and drop you at Santiago airport. They are excellent. I think there is some footage in the video about all this. Oh and the bike shop sells the Camino cycling tops. All Is in this post above. Enjoy your ride. We loved every minute of it!

Hi Darren
We boxed the bikes at home in a carton box we got from a bike shop. They usually throw loads of them away. We flew into Madrid and took a bus to Pamplona. You can book online for yourself and the bike, bike still boxed. At pamplona bus station we assembled the bikes and threw away the box. In Santiago there's a bike shop called Velocípedo http://www.elvelocipedo.com/ which we've used twice. Cycle to them, leave your bike there for packing for just €25 including a new carton box and arrange for them to pick you up in a taxi, which will have your bike in it, and drop you at Santiago airport. They are excellent. I think there is some footage in the video about all this. Oh and the bike shop sells the Camino cycling tops. All Is in this post above. Enjoy your ride. We loved every minute of it!
Thanks for the info michelle really helps alot, i might have a few more questions for you over the coming months

Thanks again

Darren

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the info michelle really helps alot, i might have a few more questions for you over the coming months

Thanks again

Darren
Anytime

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back