• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Frances in May

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked from Astorga to SDC in May 2012.
Cycled the Frances from SJPP May 2014
Cycled the Portuguese from Lisbon May 2016
Hi
I walked part of the Camino (from Astorga) 2 years ago and now I'm coming back to do the whole thing from SJPP in May, this time on a bicycle due to time constraints. I have some questions and would be very grateful if anyone could help me:
1. I am worried about changing terminals from T1 to T4 at Madrid Barajas with a boxed bike. Would I have any problems getting on the shuttle buses?
2. It seems that the ALSA buses from Pamplona to SJPP do not allow bikes on them. What other ways are available for us cyclists to get there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks but my problem is transferring the bikes between terminals in Madrid Barajas Airport. GEtting them on the bus to Pamplona is fine...i can book online and pay an additional charge for the bike.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not really cause the bus Madrid Airport to Pamplona would want it packed in the box. I'm sure it won't be a problem but I like ironing out all foreseeable problems beforehand.

thanks I asked them the question.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It seems that the ALSA buses from Pamplona to SJPP do not allow bikes on them.
ALSA
  • Am I allowed to carry on bicycles, surfboards or skis?
    Transporting bicycles, surfboards or skis has an additional cost, 5 euros for short-distance routes and 10 euros for long-distance routes.

In international services, you are only allowed to carry on bicycles in a Spain-Morocco route, by booking and paying for this extra service.

Because of the limited space, we admit 4 objects (bicycles and surfboards) total in each coach, one per ticket. They have to be good conditions to travel without causing any damage to other baggage, so it is obligatory for them to be well packaged in boxes or bags suitable for transportation.

You can buy your ticket on our website along with bicycle transportation, indicating it in the box in step 3 of the purchasing process. Tickets with bicycle transportation must be bought one by one, so it's impossible to check this box if you chose 2 or more seats.

If there is no space in the selected coach, this box will be unavailable too.

Once the ticket is bought, the passenger must be there at least 15 minutes before the departure time with the indicated bicycle or surfboard.
I cannot exactly fathom if bicycles are permitted only on the Spain-Morocco route, or if the condition is for just that route, and you can take bicycles on other international routes. You may need to specificaly query ALSA.

I rode the CF in fall of 2012 starting in Northern France and walked from Leon. Then I traveled to Sevilla by bike and bus very rainy that year). Taking a bike on any buses in Spain is a crap shoot. They may charge you for a bici ticket and then not actually let you put it in the bay or Not sell you a bici ticket and take it anyway. A lot of it depends on the driver. Some of them were very nice some of them were very grumpy. Good luck, Keep us posted.

We did it. We reached Santiago yesterday after 15 days of cycling. From SJPP. It was perfect. Very lucky with the weather, it only rained a couple of days. We managed to cycle on the path for 95% of the way. We took the road to cross the Pyrenees on day one and to climb to O'Cebreiro. There were times were the path was narrow and parallel to the road that we shifted to the road. I would say there is one thing I can complain about and that's the amount of bites and itchy red blotches I have on my body. In fact I am awake now at 3 am in my Santiago hotel as can't sleep with the itching which I'm trying to resist ! It's a shame. A pharmacist gave me hydrocortisone which I'm hoping will help. Not sure what I did wrong. I had a silk liner which I used every time. Otherwise loved the whole experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well done Michelle, great feeling and hard going. Finished cycling Leon to Santiago last and some of the mountains were hard but would love to go and do the 800 km, great achievement

Hey Michelle! My friend and I are going to be biking from SJPP to Santiago this September! How did you enjoy it?Any advice or tips? I have concerns about having my bike stolen, did you have any troubles like that?

Hi Annarosa

I prepared a long detailed reply but at the end of it i was told that I am only allowed 420 words! If you want me to send it anyway please give me your personal email address.

Otherwise, yes it was great fun, no need to worry about theft, we never ever felt our bikes were going to be pinched but obviously do keep them within your sight if you're in a cafe. All places we stayed in provided a secure area for the bikes.

Michelle

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annarosa,

We cycled the Camino Frances in 2012...never felt like our bikes were going to get stolen. Actually they are not that inviting when they are loaded down with panniers. We never had a problem finding a place to secure them at night. Biking the Camino is just as challenging as walking. It can be quite a transportation adventure to get to wherever you choose to start with your bikes. If you start in SJPP, the first day is humbling with 7 km of up, especially if you run into a little rain. After that, everything seems doable. Its nice to be able to go some on the path and some on the road. The highway can be a little daunting during high traffic periods, but we also found some lovely country lanes to enjoy. We had to walk our bikes from time to time. We took our time and so also enjoyed a lot of the pilgrim camaraderie that happens when you see the same people from day to day along the way.

We had a blast and are very excited about our next Camino in Sept. If you want to see a little more about our trip, check out our blog at walshcamino.wordpress.com.
Buen Camino!

Michelle,
Thank you so much for the email! Great information, and it has me even more excited then before :) The pdf file of the program is amazing! Did you rent bikes or take your own? If you rented who did you go with?

Walsh,
Glad to hear there are no issues with bikes being stolen, as I'm looking at renting it would have been a problem :p lol. Most likely going to be walking parts of the trail, I'm no good at going up hills, but I'm still looking forward to it all! Checking out your blog now, thank you for the link :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

We took our own which was a bit of a task but I think most people especially if they're coming from outside Europe rent. Have a look at the bicigrino.com web site there's a lot of info about biking the camino and related services.

Michelle

Renting is certainly an option, but I was very happy to have my own bike that is just my size for the 800 km ride. Also, we had to cut our trip short in Astorga due to the sudden death of my dad. It was difficult enough to figure out how to get our own bikes to Madrid so we could fly to the US. We were able to take them on the bus from Astorga to Madrid. The trickier part was getting a taxi from the Madrid bus station out to the airport. My husband and I ended each getting a taxi with our bike. We were wondering what it would have been like if we had rental bikes to deal with and not being able to get them returned in Santiago. I suppose the bike rental companies have a way to deal with this but I am sure it is not cheap if they have to come pick up the bike somewhere unexpectedly.
Nevertheless, its all part of the journey. And we can't wait to do it again!
Judy

Hi Annarosa

I prepared a long detailed reply but at the end of it i was told that I am only allowed 420 words! If you want me to send it anyway please give me your personal email address.

Otherwise, yes it was great fun, no need to worry about theft, we never ever felt our bikes were going to be pinched but obviously do keep them within your sight if you're in a cafe. All places we stayed in provided a secure area for the bikes.

Michelle
I 'm starting to ride the camino from SJPP on the first of june and I would be happy to receive your post. My email address : patrick_dudouet@hotmail.fr
Patrick

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Patrick
Email sent yesterday. Hope you got it.
M

Patrick
Email sent yesterday. Hope you got it.
M
Hello michelle,
I received it. Thank you very much. I found answers to a lot of questions. Great. I'll leave Biscarrosse (near Arcachon) in one week, tryng to finish my trip in Finisterra.
A lot of other questions concerning accommodations for bikers, transportation for thé return, that I'll surely find on this site.
I'll keep you postes.

Hi Annarosa

Michelle
Hi Michelle
I am planning to cycle the Frances in September and I would greatly appreciate it if you could email your reply to me at tjs2477@hotmail.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Harbourview - sent!

Mahlai did you get my email?

€60,-
Hi we are travelling the camino Frances by bicycle next Thursday 5th June . Can you help us please with the following :
What weather conditions should we prepare for ?
What clothes should we bring for the evening?
Thanks a million
Liz

Hi Annarosa

Michelle
Hi Michelle ,
We are doing your exact trip and I'm very nervous I'd love to read your email. I'd really appreciate it if you could email it to me please my email address is lizziehickey@hotmail.com
Thanks so much
Liz

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi

I'll send you the email in the next few minutes and also a link to a 45 minute YouTube video we took to summerise the trip if you want to watch it. Re weather, we were extremely lucky and had mostly dry days. Cold mornings so take full hand cycling gloves. I didn't and got chillblaines. June might we warmer though. On the few rainy days I had my compact rain jacket on and make sure the panniers are waterproof or get a waterproof cover. We always started with 3 layers and ended in a t-shirt especially when you work a bit harder on those hills. I loved every minute of it. In the evenings we wore our combat pants, flip flops and a t-shirt. I also used my long sleeved cycling jacket sometimes. Temperatures can vary.
Enjoy it!
Michelle

Hi Michelle,
I am travelling the camino Frances by bicycle on 20th July from Leon.
What equipment do you prepare for?
What albergues or hotel have ever you checked in?
Could you share your plan or schedule for me?

My email is ck901388@hotmail.com

Thanks so much

Hi

I sent you the email plus link to a YouTube video I made.
In terms of equipment we were very light and just took a few cycling outfits plus an evening outfit. We had a good rain jacket which we used 3 times. We didn't even take a sleeping bag but only a sleeping bag liner. Most albergues have blankets especially the private ones which we prefer cause you can book a day before and that reduced our stress to get to a place early.
We had spare tubes and tools for small repairs. Take some oil cause the dust makes the chain rather cranky.
See what you think and let know if I can help in any way.
It's an amazing experience just enjoy it.
Michelle

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Michelle,
Could you share your plan with me?
My email is .

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Michelle. Congratulations!
I hate to ask, but could you also share your plan with me?
My email is .

Thank you! For the post, which made me incredibly happy, and for the information.

Best,
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Patricia, sent you the e-mail. Hope you got it! Let me know if you need help with any other plans.

Got it! Thanks so much. Watched the video while having my first cup of coffee. I want to leave NOW.

Thanks again, Michelle.

Did you happen to meet a cyclist who rented a bike and have it delivered to refuge municipal? I am planning to do the cycling in august and the rental company can deliver the bike to the albergue i am staying and i really want to try the refuge municipal but they don't accept such transactions. So i have no idea where to have my bike delivered if i stay at the refuge municipal. Any suggestions?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you referring to Roncesvalles ? If you are starting from there can't you arrange the time of delivery to a time when you would be there and you will not need to involve the albergue?

The only thing I can think of is that you liaise with the bike rental company to drop off bike after you arrive at SJPP. Otherwise stay at a private albergue. I had stayed at Bailari which was superb!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, good suggestion. I will contact the rental company and ask how long it would take to have the bike delivered so it will coincide with the day i arrive. Thanks.

Hi Michelle, congrats.
I want to cycle the Camino from SPP next May, as you did.
Is it alright to do it alone?
Could you send me your program as well (jbarqt@gmail.com)?
I'm planning on doing it in 10 days, do you think is possible?
Thanks
Regards
Joao

Hi Annarosa

Michelle
Hi Michelle,
I would love some information on cycling the Camino from SPP next August. I'm just in the planning stages so any information is welcome.
My email is kelly45murray@gmail.com.
Many thanks, Kelly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We did it. We reached Santiago yesterday after 15 days of cycling. From SJPP. It was perfect. Very lucky with the weather, it only rained a couple of days. We managed to cycle on the path for 95% of the way. We took the road to cross the Pyrenees on day one and to climb to O'Cebreiro.
Hola Michelle - I have sent you a PM with my email contact. Would greatly appreciate your notes on your adventure. Cheers.

The only thing I can think of is that you liaise with the bike rental company to drop off bike after you arrive at SJPP. Otherwise stay at a private albergue. I had stayed at Bailari which was superb!
Hi Michelle, looks like you are the guru for these questions :) Can you pass on your email about details of the trip, I am planning to cycle mid july this year, on my own so far and hoping to do the TMB in France first as a warm up!

With pleasure ....need your email though!

€83,-
Hi

I sent you the email plus link to a YouTube video I made.
In terms of equipment we were very light and just took a few cycling outfits plus an evening outfit. We had a good rain jacket which we used 3 times. We didn't even take a sleeping bag but only a sleeping bag liner. Most albergues have blankets especially the private ones which we prefer cause you can book a day before and that reduced our stress to get to a place early.
We had spare tubes and tools for small repairs. Take some oil cause the dust makes the chain rather cranky.
See what you think and let know if I can help in any way.
It's an amazing experience just enjoy it.
Michelle
kaywacker@gmail.com

Hi Michelle. I'm hoping to cycle as much as of the Camino as possible in April. My window is 30/3 to 10/4/15 plus a couple of days either side if necesary. 2 parents and 3 kids. Kids ages 2 (will be on a "weeride" seat on my bike), 6 & 9. Both tough little cyclists on quick bikes. Would you mind passing me your guide please? If you have any tips as to how much I should attempt and what are the can't miss parts i'd be very grateful. I appreciate you have sent this several times already so hope you can manage it once more. Cheers. John. johnherron23@gmail.com

Hi
I walked part of the Camino (from Astorga) 2 years ago and now I'm coming back to do the whole thing from SJPP in May, this time on a bicycle due to time constraints. I have some questions and would be very grateful if anyone could help me:
1. I am worried about changing terminals from T1 to T4 at Madrid Barajas with a boxed bike. Would I have any problems getting on the shuttle buses?
2. It seems that the ALSA buses from Pamplona to SJPP do not allow bikes on them. What other ways are available for us cyclists to get there?
Michelle[/QU

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

With pleasure ....need your email though!
Hi michelle,
I was wondering if you could share your cyling plan for the camino? I ws planning to start in paris...do you have any advice about it?

thanks for sharing!

ruth

Hi Ruth
I have no info between Paris and SJPP however if you send me your email address I can send you some thoughts I noted in my return.
Regards
Michelle

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Michelle
it appears you are the go to person for biking advice, and we all need help at some stage of our journeys. I amplanning a solo bike from Ronscenvalles to SDC in mid April (following the footsteps of my wife from 7 years earlier) and would love to read and hear of your experience...
my email address is paulomoore@manx.net

thank you in advance and have a great day
Paul

I would be extremely grateful for your information, if you are still sending it. I have done a 5000km mega ride but now I have a problem with a ruptured calf muscle and I am flipping between walking and cycling (or both!) Your thoughts would help the decision. The YT sounds informative too. TIA shall@thisisspain.info

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Michelle! just came across your post and would LOVE it if you could forward me the info. on Biking the Camino Frances. I haven't even gone on my first on yet! (1st one is with my sister ... from O'Cebreiro to Santiago, this May!) and I'm already planning on my 2nd one with my 14 yr old son next year.
Like you, my time will be limited to 4 weeks, so bike seems the way to go!

Thank you soooo much!

yesiandmatt@yahoo.com

Happy Wednesday :)

Ruth wrote:

> I ws planning to start in paris...do you have any advice about it?

/=/=/=/=/=/=/

Ruth - You will likely need to find a local contact to handle this for you, but the Dutch publish a very good guide in 3 sections. The second is Paris to the Pyrenees, and the third takes you to Santiago. The text is naturally in Dutch, but the maps are excellent, and they take very good routes. However, I believe they sometimes use dirt/gravel roads to avoid traffic.

Charles

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just sent the email to Tio Timo, yesenia and Thisisspain. Sorry for the delay however I did not get an email notification of your post as I normally do. I hope you find the info helpful.
Buen Camino.
Michelle

€83,-
Hi Annarosa

Michelle

Hi Michelle can you also send me the info on biking the Camino? I have the same doubts about how to take the bike to SJPP. I'm going in may. Thanks a lot! email lu.alvarenga@gmail.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Michelle,

I am apllning to do El camino in May 2015, I just started my research and any information you can share with me would be great. My email is ribero1984@hotmail.com

If you can have a breakdown of each day (kms, starting point and finnish point) would be excellent.

Luis

Hi Michelle,

I am apllning to do El camino in May 2015, I just started my research and any information you can share with me would be great. My email is ribero1984@hotmail.com

If you can have a breakdown of each day (kms, starting point and finnish point) would be excellent.

Luis
Hi Luis
Sorry for late reply but was Travelling. Sent you the email.
Michelle

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The youtube link didn,t work on my computer. what is the video title; I'll search youtube for it.

I copied and pasted again.

Hi
Michelle
Hi Michelle, I am cycling from Pamplona to Santiago in September. Looks like the toughest part is out of Pamplona? Could you please send me your email? Thanks, Chris. cdhadley@ozemail.com.au

€83,-
Hi Chris
I managed to put the info of the email in a new post: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/cycling-the-camino-frances-2014.33163/
Well I rember that day as being a bit difficult as it is hilly and the terrain a bit rough but nothing impossible. It also offers some of the most spectacular views. Once we got to the top where there is the metal monument, I think it's called Alto del Perdon, the lady selling drinks suggested we descent using the road rather than the path at it is too steep and too rough and so we did. It was great flying down and clocking us some speed. Once we were down we tried t get on the path again which I remember was a bit difficult but we managed. I think that was one of my favourite days in terms of the route.
Hope this helps.
Michelle

Last edited:
The Alto de Perdon is a bit rocky and technical. It has been done up and down without getting off the bike by a 60 year old woman, who has extensive mtb experience. If you don't have confidence and some skill, walking the tough parts will get you through it.

[QUOTE"]Hi Michelle, I am cycling from Pamplona to Santiago in September. Looks like the toughest part is out of Pamplona? Could you please send me your email? Thanks, Chris. cdhadley@ozemail.com.au[/QUOTE]
Hola Chris - what date do you think you will be departing Pamplona?? My friend (Jenny) and I expect to depart around 3/4 of Sept. We intend to take it easy for the first week. I will PM or email you closer to our departure dates. Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Michelle - what brand of paniers did you and your friend use. They really look great. Cheers

Hi
My friend had RCP WP100 carrier bags 2015 whilst I had OGNS 26 ltrs. Hers were separate and mine one item. I feel hers were more robust and waterproof whilst mine were easier to carry even when travelling without the bike. I found my external pockets very useful to put certain items I needed to reach quickly like the pilgrims passport, money etc. my friend seemed to always be dinning in her panniers to find these things! :) I had also bought, online, a waterproof cover even though the panniers were advertised as waterproof! I love my panniers. Can't wait to use them again.
Michelle

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back