• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cycling - which route

rosskj

We are wanting to cycle part of the Camino next year. We have read a bit about the different routes - which does the forum for a couple of fit middle-aged? We have done some cycle touring but not a lot and will need to hire bikes in Spain - Any recommendations? . We are coming from New Zealand, which limits the time we will have - about a week to ten days. Would appreciate any advice.

Jean

ps Any cursillistas out there?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A week to ten days. Leon would be too close to SDC for that time. Burgos might be too far. How about taking a look at the Portugese route?

A week to 10 days Leon would make a relaxed journey.
Leon - Astorga
Astorga - Molinaseca
Molinaseca - Villafranca
Villafranca - Tricastella
Tricastella - Portomarin
Portomarin - Arzua
Arzua - Santiago

Of course the stops are only approximations of where you may end on the day and what we have done in the past. There are two big hills between Astorga and Molinaseca and Villafranca and Tricastella, just remember you have all day and take things slowly you will get to the top in the end.

Buen Camino
William

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jean,

We cycled last year from Leon to Santiago and then on to Fisterra, took us 10 days, quite relaxed.
We stayed in Leon, Astorga, Cacabelos (just before Villafranca), Cebreiro, Portomarin, Arzua, Santiago (2 nights), Corcubion and Fisterra.
For the bike rental, check out Tour n Ride http://www.tournride.com, they are based in Santiago, but ship the bikes to your starting place, and once you've finished you can drop them in their shop.
There is a bus back from Fisterra to Santiago, which transports also the bikes.

Rolf

biking

We just cycled from Roncesvalles to Santiago. It really depends on whether you are planning to take the road or the camino.
I am a detractor of the Leon - Astorga section. It's all along the road with a steady headwind, and really not a nice way to start.
I would start in Astorga. The hills up to Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro are really quite long a difficult. I would have been happy to go a mere 40-50 km a day (we were doing somewhat more, around 60).
The camino is impracticable to O Cebreiro, so take the small road that leads up. A lot of Galicia is rough as well, especially is the weather is bad (which it was in June).
If you feel the need to see Leon, do so, but I would try to get to Astorga (lovely town) otherwise than on the bike.

I agree with Klarita, don't follow the main road via Villadangos del Páramo!
There is an alternative route from Leon to Astorga, via Villar de Mazarife. I thought it was the perfect start, flat, on country roads, no traffic, some lovely villages. It's very well waymarked, just follow the directions after Virgen del Camino.
Also after Hospital de Orbiga, follow the "foot"-camino via Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias and San Justo de la Vega to get to Astorga. It's a little bit of a climb, but once you are up there it's great!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.