• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dave Ireland

zisdead

Hi my name is Dave from Dublin Ireland
I am Walking my first camino starting July 5th from St Jean. I am 37 and believe it or not this is my first time back packing in Europe (Backpacked around Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia last year and loved it).

I am looking forward to meeting many fellow travelers and cant wait for the adventuture that lies ahead.
Upfront I have to say I am not a particularly religious person and am not under taking this pilgrimedge for a religious reason. Rather I have had quite a lot on my mind recently some of which is getting me down so I am hoping to use the walk to restore some sense of well being. Is this common on the camino or is religion the main reason people are doing the walk ?

Also I will be in Biarittz airport at 3:30 pm July 4th and was wondering if anyone other people ariving around that time would like to share a taxi to St Jean.

zisdead1@yahoo.com.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
zisdead said:
I am Walking my first camino starting July 5th from St Jean. I am 37 and believe it or not this is my first time back packing in Europe (Backpacked around Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia last year and loved it).

I am looking forward to meeting many fellow travelers and cant wait for the adventuture that lies ahead.
Upfront I have to say I am not a particularly religious person and am not under taking this pilgrimedge for a religious reason. Rather I have had quite a lot on my mind recently some of which is getting me down so I am hoping to use the walk to restore some sense of well being. Is this common on the camino or is religion the main reason people are doing the walk ?

Also I will be in Biarittz airport at 3:30 pm July 4th and was wondering if anyone other people ariving around that time would like to share a taxi to St Jean.

zisdead1@yahoo.com.
Hi Dave
The Camino is perfect for restoring a sense of well being-I have found that not so many walk for religious reasons-though many who walk find it quite a spiritual journey myself included.
your more likely to find a taxi share to Bayonne train station-just look out for the backpacking crowd on the plane-or outside to the left at the one bus stop,the taxi's are opposite
you should have plenty of time to catch the train/bus to SJPP,plus the pilgrim office stays open till the last train of the day (9pm ish).
have a great Camino
Ian

I agree with Ian. The journey from the airport to Bayonne and then on to SJPP is a great place to meet fellow pilgs, who are all equally confused and bewildered. You have loads of time.

Many people on Camino are not religious, and those who are will generally not push it at you (I'm sure there are exceptions, although I've never encountered them!). Just remember that some people are religious, so if someone rejects an invite for a beer at the end of the walking day it may just be because they want to go to stay alert for church, or other reflection before attacking the food and wine! :D

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dave,

I'm guessing that you're flying with Ryanair and so you should probably see a few fellow pilgrims in the queue to get on the flight. The bus to the train station is only about €1 and leaves from in front of the airport. When I flew in last year, it arrived about ten minutes or so after landing. There's a link on the Biarritz airport website to the local bus company.

Catching the train to St Jean should give you an opportunity to meet even more of your fellow pilgrims and the views out the window are particularly impressive. Much easier to wander a train carriage than a taxi if you see something out the window or just want to move seats to chat with other pilgrims.

I'm far from religious myself but I enjoyed the Camino so much last year that I'm coming back again this summer - just a few weeks after you in fact.

Buen Camino,
Darran

dazzamac said:
Much easier to wander a train carriage than a taxi if you see something out the window or just want to move seats to chat with other pilgrims.
Ha, end of March last, the 1830 train to St Jean consisted of just one carriage, packed full of travellers, standing room only, so not much chance of wandering.....

Sojourner47 said:
Ha, end of March last, the 1830 train to St Jean consisted of just one carriage, packed full of travellers, standing room only, so not much chance of wandering.....

I stand corrected. There was certainly room to wander when I took the train last August. I probably shouldn't have assumed that my experience was typical.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
dazzamac said:
I stand corrected. There was certainly room to wander when I took the train last August. I probably shouldn't have assumed that my experience was typical.
Dazzamac - Your experience was similar to the only time I've done that route. We were quite impressed by what a nice, modern train it was on what is essentially a branch line. Maybe the usual train had broken down and rather than cancelling the service they sent out a smaller train on Soujourners particular occasion.

Buen Camino!

Good luck Dave.
You'll be starting today. For those of us who hope to but haven't yet got to do the camino keep us posted along the way if you get the chance.

zisdead said:

zisdead1@yahoo.com.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.