• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

deciding where to start...

inyoung365

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to go on april 2019
Hi. I am looking to go camino very soon and still haven't decided yet.

I have like 14 to 17 days, i was thinking to walk Frances, and thinking to start at Leon or Sahagun.

any tips how long it would take, and how many km I would looking to walk?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. I am looking to go camino very soon and still haven't decided yet.

I have like 14 to 17 days, i was thinking to walk Frances, and thinking to start at Leon or Sahagun.

any tips how long it would take, and how many km I would looking to walk?
León is relatively easy to get two (2.5 hrs by train from Madrid) and is a popular starting point. You can do it in 14 days but I would suggest taking an extra day by giving 3 easy starting days instead of two very tough starting days to Astorga. It is 312 km from León to Santiago whereas Sahagun is 364km. I would also give myself at least half a day to enjoy León itself and visit the magnificent cathedral.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Choosing between Leon and Sahagun with this amount of time to walk, I would probably start at Leon because I always like to give myself some cushion so that I don't find myself racing to Santiago. Primitivo is, I've read a lot, a very nice option for that amount of time, but it is more physically challenging.

León is relatively easy to get two (2.5 hrs by train from Madrid) and is a popular starting point. You can do it in 14 days but I would suggest taking an extra day by giving 3 easy starting days instead of two very tough starting days to Astorga. It is 312 km from León to Santiago whereas Sahagun is 364km. I would also give myself at least half a day to enjoy León itself and visit the magnificent cathedral.

thanks for giving me approximate km! I might start at Leon. thanks again!

Choosing between Leon and Sahagun with this amount of time to walk, I would probably start at Leon because I always like to give myself some cushion so that I don't find myself racing to Santiago. Primitivo is, I've read a lot, a very nice option for that amount of time, but it is more physically challenging.

okay.. it's my first trial so I might just stick to Frances. thanks for the tips!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leon would be good if you want the Frances. It is a beautiful walk from there. Easy to get too also.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am starting in Leon end of May, as it is my first Camino and I have three weeks, but I am a slow walker with a foot injury so need short distances. There is lots of good advice here on the Forum and one that I am taking is to actually start 7km out from Leon at La Virgen del Camino so I have a shorter walk my first day and miss what apparently a fairly ugly walk out of Leon. Also there is a choice of route from that point with one tracking the road and a greener one going slightly south west, which sounds better to me. You can get a bus or taxi to La Virgen if like me you are tempted!

I am starting in Leon end of May, as it is my first Camino and I have three weeks, but I am a slow walker with a foot injury so need short distances. There is lots of good advice here on the Forum and one that I am taking is to actually start 7km out from Leon at La Virgen del Camino so I have a shorter walk my first day and miss what apparently a fairly ugly walk out of Leon. Also there is a choice of route from that point with one tracking the road and a greener one going slightly south west, which sounds better to me. You can get a bus or taxi to La Virgen if like me you are tempted!
@holhum
I have walked the route out of Leon twice and did not consider it to be ugly, although some might find the short section through an industrial area to be unattractive. Since the industrial area adjoins an area lined with multiple bodegas (underground wine cellars) I found it quite fascinating and would hate to miss it. As you have some challenges in walking distances, it makes sense that you wish to skip the first part of this walk to shorten your day. But perhaps @inyoung365 would like to see the points of interest along the walk out of Leon. I shall pass through there again this fall, and am looking forward to seeing, and walking, all of it again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

But if you miss the walk out of Leon (it really is not that bad) you will miss what is probably the oddest pub ever. The British Colonial Bar. Could not believe it when I first set eyes on it, all decoration is from British colonial Africa from the last century. Very odd but very friendly bar. Even odder is that all the staff are colored folk. Could not get my head around it. But I now always pop in when passing, good food and very friendly.

Do take the green route out of Virgen it is superb

Buen Camino

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.