• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Defying Munro and embracing Schopenhauer

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2017
"Preparations court disaster." So wrote my compatriot Alice Munro in her short story Simon's Luck. I considered the irony of that phrase as I submitted my request for a leave of absence in April and May, 2017. After all, what else would a comfortably indolent, casually Catholic, 58 year old writer/administrator do but prepare, prepare, prepare when he finally decided to achieve a life goal! And then I happened on a quote from Schopenhauer: "There are three great powers in the world: sagacity, strength and luck. I think the last is the most efficacious." Suffice it to say that, as I chart my path toward SJPP in early April, I remain mindful of the Camino's risks even as I aspire to strength, wisdom and good fortune.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love your outlook on life through litterature, and because of it your Camino will be even richer.

Risks are near nil if you are mindful (aka if the trek to Romcessvalles is closed die to weather, don't do it!), planning other than getting to starting point amd getting on flight back is really not so necessary, once your pack is packed, and for the pack ... just post what you are planning on taking and we will chime in to remove things you don't need, and add those you do.

And the Bard said "Fortune brings in some boats that are not steered."
You just never know...so throw caution to the winds and "Be as great in act as you have been in thought."
;)
Welcome and Buen Camino, Dunny! (Marcus Aurelius was right, too...)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the other hand "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" but "fortune smiles on the brave" so don't rely on an old saw and do what you think best.
However, a few pratical preperations, like telephone no's etc are a good idea ( I found maps of the camino routes thro' towns a big help, nothing worse than wandering about looking for an arrow, and in some villages people to ask are far and few between)
regards
George

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many thanks to all. My pithy literary bromides aside, I'm a big fan of practical knowledge and I get tonnes of that through this forum. Will wear my Forum member patch proudly on my pack (and thanks to Ivar for posting it and other materiel so efficiently).

"Preparations court disaster." So wrote my compatriot Alice Munro in her short story Simon's Luck. I considered the irony of that phrase as I submitted my request for a leave of absence in April and May, 2017. After all, what else would a comfortably indolent, casually Catholic, 58 year old writer/administrator do but prepare, prepare, prepare when he finally decided to achieve a life goal! And then I happened on a quote from Schopenhauer: "There are three great powers in the world: sagacity, strength and luck. I think the last is the most efficacious." Suffice it to say that, as I chart my path toward SJPP in early April, I remain mindful of the Camino's risks even as I aspire to strength, wisdom and good fortune.
Munro is my favourite writer. There's an awful lot of healthy irony in those quotes, so your prep starts well. I prepared for a year and don't regret a minute of it. I came pretty close to not making it all the way. I started end of April this year, got to SDC early May. I always feel like a Munro character - don't we all? Contradictory, paradoxical, exasperating. Imperfect, disappointing, fascinating, living our tiny triumphs. Human. Munro's people make it all the way and don't.

Buen and insightful Camino, - Mike

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am hesitant to share that we will be setting out from SJPP on the same day. I have been married to a literary czar for 41 years and you will quickly recognize my intellectual shortcomings (and introverted personality) and lack of engaging conversation, at least in the literary arena. I am a pretty solid trekker, though. I am sure we will have the opportunity to share the way! Hope to see you enroute.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.