• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte and the Primivito same thing?

Beverley

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2009, Camino Portuguese 2010, Del Norte 2011, Pamplona to Burgos and Santiago to Finnesterra 2012
AS I plan for my Northern Camino I run across many posts that use these two Camino names interchangeably. Are they the same trail?

Bev

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first major city on the Camino Primitivo is Oviedo and this Camino then continues on, through the mountains, to Lugo and from there joins the Camino Frances at Melide. The Camino del Norte actually coninues along the coast through Gijon before turning inland and going through Miraz (where the 2nd CSJ albergue is) and joining the camino Frances much closer to Santiago (I think it is somewhere near Arca but not sure on that one).

The Camino Primitivo goes through some quite mountainous areas - especially if you take the Hospitales route - and is very beautiful. It is quite remote in parts and the albergues / accomodation, though adequate are even less than on the Camino del Norte earlier. I travelled on the Primitivo instead of continuing on the del Norte when I followed this way. I actually researched both ways and left my options open until I got to Oviedo before making a decision. Oviedo is not, strictly speaking, on the del Norte but some pilgrims detour there before returning to the del Norte path again.

Hope that clarifies, Janet

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Janet thanks. I think I will do the sme, that is make a choice once I get to Oviedo, if I get that far. As this is my 3rd Camino, I am no longer focused on miles. I want to take in the air, swim a little and take my time.

The route actually divides just west of Villaviciosa. however the Valdediós monastery is 'just up the road' (about 6 kilometers) which is well worth seeing. The Camino comes in from the right of the photo and continues off to the left. The route down to Valdediós and Oviedo goes down the road where I was standing. If you look carefully, there is a mojon in front of the wall to the left of the pic. This carries two waymarks so it is there that you have a choice of routes.

Enjoy! whichever Way you go!
Blessings
Tio Tel

Attachments

• Capilla de San Blas.Casquita.jpg
    Capilla de San Blas.Casquita.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,344
TerryB said:
The route actually divides just west of Villaviciosa... This carries two waymarks so it is there that you have a choice of routes.

Not exactly! You decide at that point whether or not you want to go through Oviedo or Gijon.
If you choose Oviedo you can get back on the Norte by following the way to Aviles (well marked) or take the direction of the Primitivo.
I recommend going through Oviedo even if you don't want to go down the Primitivo. A nice city to visit.
Also, remember that the future queen of Spain originates from there.
For sports lover you can fall back on the fact that it's also the native city of Fernando Alonso. :mrgreen:

Enjoy,
Jean-Marc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
TerryB said:
The route actually divides just west of Villaviciosa.

This photo shows them as you approach from Villavicioasa, the obelisk is next to the wall on the right.

Go left for Oviedo, go straight on for Gijon.

If you go to Gijon, have a look at the photo in the top right hand corner, you can just about see a hill in the background, you will be going up there.

Mike

Attachments

• rt6.jpg
    rt6.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 2,296
Canuck said:
You decide at that point whether or not you want to go through Oviedo or Gijon.
If you choose Oviedo you can get back on the Norte by following the way to Aviles (well marked) or take the direction of the Primitivo.
I recommend going through Oviedo even if you don't want to go down the Primitivo. A nice city to visit.
Also, remember that the future queen of Spain originates from there.
For sports lover you can fall back on the fact that it's also the native city of Fernando Alonso.

Thanks for the reminder Jean-Marc! Not having walked back up from Oviedo to Aviles, that route was not on my radar!! There also appears to have been a link from La Espina (on the Camino Primitivo) back up to the coast at Luarca. Which ever way the pilgrims of old went, I cannot imagine them getting as far as Villaviciosa without going on to Oviedo. The Cámara Santa with its ancient relics at the Cathedral of Oviedo (San Salvador) was of great importance in Mediaeval times. So much so that the Camino del Salvador was a regularly travelled route from Leon on the Camino Frances, up to Oviedo.
"Whoever goes to St. James and not to the Saviour, visits the servant and misses the Master".
The links to the Cámara Santa are here - lots more on the internet!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A1mara_Santa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudarium_of_Oviedo
From Oviedo the pilgrim had to make decision on the route onward to Compostela. Most likely in summer they would go over the Primitivo, in winter they would need to go back up to the coast.
If you do visit Oviedo as a pilgrim you can get free access to the Cámara Santa with your Credential.
Watching the Canadian Gran Prix, I noticed an Asturian flag flying in the crowd!!

Blessings
Tio Tel

I want to walk the CAmino Norte or Primativo in February, March 2012; what's the weather and route like this time of year? How long would this take to walk to Santiago?

I've walked the Camino Portugues, the Camino Ingles and the Via de la Plata and now want to walk the northern coast of Spain.

Thanks!
Analeise Volpe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I want to walk the CAmino Norte or Primativo in February, March 2012; what's the weather and route like this time of year? How long would this take to walk to Santiago?

I've walked the Camino Portugues, the Camino Ingles and the Via de la Plata and now want to walk the northern coast of Spain.

Thanks!
Analeise Volpe

Hi Analeise, I haven't walked this path at that time, but I do know that when I watch the Spanish news here in Australia that I have often seen reports of storms, floods etc in the late winter and quite often they are in the Basque region. Time wise though I am able to tell you how many days I took - 34 days to walk from Irun to Oviedo on the del Norte and then from Oviedo up to Lugo on the Camino Primitivo before joining the Camino Frances at Melide. I had a rest day in Bilbao, Oviedo and Lugo. I had planned another at Ribadasella but for a number of reasons chose to walk on.

I left Irun on the 25th August, and though I had a couple of hot days, they were quite manageable.

I loved this way - hope you do too. Cheers, Janet

Hello Analeise, weather wise you should be O.K. on the Camino del Norte along the coast in February. Once you turn inland at Ribadeo you should be O.K. to Baamonde. From Baamonde to Sobrado des Monxes is higher and you would need to check out the local forecasts as you go.
The Primitivo is not recommended in winter, simply because goes through the mountains (1146 metres in altitude at Puerto del Palo) and there are long stretches without any habitations.
Valerie and I were in Tineo on the Primitivo in May 2010 when the temperature at midday was 3C. and there was snow drifting in the wind! We gave up and went back to the coast! There could be heavy snow anywhere in Northern Spain in February so take care.
Blessings
Tio Tel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These data are taken from a get weather station installed on my home hobby.
Although not easily reach the levels the Cantabrian coast, is not unusual. In fact, this winter it snowed in December and it did the previous winter in late January if I remember correctly. Although as I said it is not normal snow on the coast, the month most likely has to do it is February.

Febrero 2011

screenhunter01aug261906.jpg

Febrero 2010

screenhunter02aug261907.jpg

Febrero 2009

screenhunter03aug261907.jpg

Febrero 2008

screenhunter04aug261908.jpg

In this link you can see the temperature is in place at that time. My station is located in Soto del Barco, Asturias

http://www.meteoclimatic.com/mapinfo/ESAST

Inside, in the winter things change a lot, and it's not hard to find snow at elevations not too high.

Hi, i plan to go in end september, true the del norte and i would like to know the weather on the coast, (rain + temp). If you have done the camino in the past I would apreciate the info, my name is sylvain from Montreal canada, thank you

Has anyone walked the Norte in Dec-Feb? If so, I would be very interested in learning of your experiences walking this route at that time of year.

Cheers
John

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.