• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte End of May

Bob-S

Time of past OR future Camino
September "2014"
Having walked the Frances last Autumn I am planning to do the Del Norte at the end of May/Early June probably to Oviedo (3 weeks?) .

There doesnt appear to be a Brierley guide so would welcome feedback re other guides available for accommodation etc - I see there is a Cicerone guide is that any good - I loved the Brierley guide on the Frances each morning over my Cafe con Leche and Neopolitana Desayuno reading his practical, mystical and Personal reflections each day.

Also where does the Del Norte start Irun or Hendaye? and is it better to go to Bilbao and get bus / train or Via Biarritz? On Google maps it is about 25km to Henday is there a path straight from Biarritz/Bayonne?

Looking forward receiving some experienced pilgrim feedback.

Bob

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @Bob-S. We are walking the Norte and Primitivo starting in Irun about the 10th of May, so a bit before you. We've got the Cicerone guide "The Northern Caminos" - available from Amazon and similar places, but are also using information from this forum. There's a link (somewhere) to a couple of brochures by the Basque (Euskadi ) tourist office.
Also worth looking at is the Gronze website. - http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte

Watching this....I leave Irun around the 15th june....very little planning so far :(

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I started the Norte in Irun, and flew in to Biaritz with Ryanair. There was a bus from the airport which then dropped us three stops on the Feve from the centre of town and 5 mins from the alberge. There is a walking route from Biaritz which is apparently very beautiful, but I haven't done it myself. The Ciccerone guide "The Northern Caminos" mentioned by Kanga in the post above is probably the best guide, I walked just using a basic guide and accommodation list which is published by the tourist board and which I found online. The hospitaleros are usually very well informed about the choices ahead for the next days walking and can tell you what your options are, and so are the tourist information offices. I pretty much winged it every day and liked the spontaneity which this allowed. The Norte is very different from the Frances, but is a fantastic walk. Buen Camino!

Hi @Bob-S. We are walking the Norte and Primitivo starting in Irun about the 10th of May, so a bit before you. We've got the Cicerone guide "The Northern Caminos" - available from Amazon and similar places, but are also using information from this forum. There's a link (somewhere) to a couple of brochures by the Basque (Euskadi ) tourist office.
Also worth looking at is the Gronze website. - http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte

Hi Kanga

Thanks for the information

Buen Camino

I started the Norte in Irun, and flew in to Biaritz with Ryanair. There was a bus from the airport which then dropped us three stops on the Feve from the centre of town and 5 mins from the alberge. There is a walking route from Biaritz which is apparently very beautiful, but I haven't done it myself. The Ciccerone guide "The Northern Caminos" mentioned by Kanga in the post above is probably the best guide, I walked just using a basic guide and accommodation list which is published by the tourist board and which I found online. The hospitaleros are usually very well informed about the choices ahead for the next days walking and can tell you what your options are, and so are the tourist information offices. I pretty much winged it every day and liked the spontaneity which this allowed. The Norte is very different from the Frances, but is a fantastic walk. Buen Camino!

Thanks for the information - Ive ordered Cicerone guide today.

I'd like more information on walking from Biarritz to Irun - perhaps ill start a new thread on that to see if anyone has more info.

I found this link http://www.caminomyway.com/starting-camino-del-norte-hendaye-irun-albergue which might be useful to anyone else starting in Irun

Yes I winged it along the Frances last year and liked not having any plan infact I like the phrase "the best plan is no plan"!!

I would welcome details of any "special" places you stayed so i can work them into the schedule if possible.

Thanks

Bob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Special Places?

Off the top of my head, the alberge run by nuns at Portugalete was basic but plesant, I really liked the monastery at zenarruza, which was very cold, but very atmospheric, Guemes is very popular, and there is a fantastic little private alberge 10 klms past Santander at Bezanes de Santa Cruz. Sobrado monastery is a must.

Special Places?

Off the top of my head, the alberge run by nuns at Portugalete was basic but plesant, I really liked the monastery at zenarruza, which was very cold, but very atmospheric, Guemes is very popular, and there is a fantastic little private alberge 10 klms past Santander at Bezanes de Santa Cruz. Sobrado monastery is a must.

Great just what I wanted thanks -

If anyone else has any "special places" they visited along the Del Norte (Albergues, Pensions Churches restaurants or places) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the information - Ive ordered Cicerone guide today.

would welcome details of any "special" places you stayed so i can work them into the schedule if possible.

Thanks

Bob
Cicerone guide is all you need. It discusses special places as well. I chose most of my stays based on that book.
I preferred private alberques. You can look at my stages through primitivo here if you are interested: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mitivo-may-25-june-27-2014.27811/#post-226937

Great just what I wanted thanks -

If anyone else has any "special places" they visited along the Del Norte (Albergues, Pensions Churches restaurants or places) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
If you are looking for a bed that is made, with duvet, private bathroom, with towels, in a private home with lovely children, then there is the Albergue de Pilar, 50 meters from the train station where you have to get on unless you want to illegally walk over the bridge - your next night after Santander.

Guemes ... I hate to say this, but is it really "authentic"? It's what is being marketed, but the sales pitch is really heavy handed.

In Santiallana, as you walk up the 'street' that takes you to the Colegiata, there's an old manor that is both B&B and albergue. Feels like walking in a museum. Ladies' dorm has a HUGE bathroom, with tub and massage shower ;0) and a lovely courtyard.

Let me tell you where NOT to stay: the muni in San Vicente de la Barquera. The place is ordinary, perhaps even not very clean, but the hospitalero really seems to go out of his way to be unpleasant. Little Sgt-Mjr! ;0)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm hoping to use the new app Camino Places by @ivar - the more people post reviews the better it will be - would love it if previous posters made entries.

I'm hoping to use the new app Camino Places by @ivar - the more people post reviews the better it will be - would love it if previous posters made entries.
Kanga,
I would like to do that. But, does it work with android?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.