• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Delays at Madrid

• Thread starter Former member 42123
  • Start date
F

Former member 42123

In press U.K today reports of up to 4 hour delays at Madrid Airport due to immigration checks,resulting in some missing flights.I am due on Camino in under 3 weeks via Madrid and concerned about connections etc,Any reports in Spain..?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We made it through immigration just as our flight was suppose to take off. I allotted three hours to make the transfer. ALL of the people in line were worried about missing their flights. Fortunately, we had just finished walking the Camino, so we tried to stay in good spirits - it was quite a shock to the system to see some people get so upset, cut the line, yell at the employees, etc. after our friendly Camino. However, for the most part people tried to make light of the situation and we laughed our way through the line.

Once we were through, we had to run to our gate which was 10 minutes from passport control. Fortunately, because everyone was in the same situation, our flight waited for all of the passengers. So, don't panic, but if you can, give yourself plenty of time. If you cannot change your connecting flight time to a later time, get a seat at the front of the plane, do not take your time getting to passport control, and wear running shoes. :)
PS In the photo - those are not straight lines to the desks, once you get past the arrival/departure board, the line moves right to left for the length of the room several times.

Attachments

• IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 68
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We land in Barcelona at about 11am. The article said both entry and exit passengers are being checked.

New European Union rules introduced following terror attacks in Paris and Brussels require countries to carry out more stringent checks on travellers entering and leaving the Schengen area, which allows passport-free movement across much of the EU.

i have global entry card from usa hope this works in my favor. BC

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When we were traveling on July 3, there was only one line. The "Non-EU" citizen lines were all closed, so @jerbear I don't think the global entry card will work unless there was some reason there was only one line the day we were flying (like a strike or something - it definitely seemed like there was an employee shortage).

BTW jerbear, I think we met you in June at Crucero de Santo Toribo (is that you in the attached photo or a different jerbear? :) ).
jb.JPG

FYI We were changing planes from a domestic flight from Santiago to an international flight to London. Fortunately, we had checked our bags all the way through otherwise we would have never made it.

Last Saturday there were no delays into Madrid. Coming back I expected a long queue at Passport Control but was surprised to see no one waiting so passed through in a matter of seconds.

British Airways had warned of delays of about an hour via email and text.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes that is me. Thank you. We shall meet again one day. I am sure.BC

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You don't like likes so I haven't given you one :D
Hopefully next year we meet again!

Take care until then!
Wait a minute, I should be in that "hopefully" as well. K1, I ran into jerbear in Obradoiro and later at Pilgrim House and he had a whole new rash of stories to tell! One involves t-shirts, another condos in Santiago, and the list goes on. Next year?!

So weird. Been to Madrid twice inside a 12 months period and both times, arriving and departing, was pretty quick. That was mid May. More people going through in summer I guess.

i have global entry card from usa hope this works in my favor. BC
Why would you think an American Global Entry card would help you in another country? It's to make your entry into the US easier. Period.

Last edited:
You don't like likes so I haven't given you one :D
Hopefully next year we meet again!

Take care until then!
Likes are cool. Was checking for my friend. Sheesh.

Wait a minute, I should be in that "hopefully" as well. K1, I ran into jerbear in Obradoiro and later at Pilgrim House and he had a whole new rash of stories to tell! One involves t-shirts, another condos in Santiago, and the list goes on. Next year?!
Lol yes i walk on. No need for me to look for other ways. The path has many peiple and places to see. Wait until i tell you about quemada in portugal!

When we were traveling on July 3, there was only one line. The "Non-EU" citizen lines were all closed, so @jerbear I don't think the global entry card will work unless there was some reason there was only one line the day we were flying (like a strike or something - it definitely seemed like there was an employee shortage).

BTW jerbear, I think we met you in June at Crucero de Santo Toribo (is that you in the attached photo or a different jerbear? :) ).
View attachment 35361

FYI We were changing planes from a domestic flight from Santiago to an international flight to London. Fortunately, we had checked our bags all the way through otherwise we would have never made it.
Yes thats me. I remember you two. Lol life is fun. We will pass each other again one day. Shout at me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.