• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing this on my own - CDG to where?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can stay in either Biarritz or Bayonne (the first is on the coast and thus more expensive) and take a bus or train from either to SJPP, or “carpool” to SJPP with the shuttle. The latest train gets in too late to do dinner with other pilgrims (I stayed at Beilari which does a communal dinner) or do much in SJPP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can stay in either Biarritz or Bayonne (the first is on the coast and thus more expensive) and take a bus or train from either to SJPP, or “carpool” to SJPP with the shuttle. The latest train gets in too late to do dinner with other pilgrims (I stayed at Beilari which does a communal dinner) or do much in SJPP.
Thank you! I am catching a train out of Biarritz at 18:19 to Bayonne (18:31) & have a 5 minute interchange to catch a train to SJPP (19:43). I haven't booked an Albergues in SJPP, but need to. Arriving at 7:43pm is kind of late, I know I will be road weary (don't laugh, I know I haven't at that point set foot to the Camino...well ok, go ahead and laugh - lol). Does anyone have a recommendation that isn't too far a walk from the SJPP train station (lol)?

Greetings! Flying in from Chicago 4/25; ORY to BIQ (17:40)...how do you best get to St. Jean & can I do it the same day, or should I book a hotel in Biarritz?
I flew into Biarritz walked out door to taxi stand and payed the 80$ to get to SJPP. I booked a room in SJPP on booking.com for Villa La Esponda. Costly taxi, maybe? But that allowed me to get to SJPP check into hotel, check in at Pilgrims office eat dinner explore St Jean and start Camino the following day. I initially had these thoughts of doing something similar to what you shared, but I am glad I took the quickest route, I arrived, decompressed and prepared for our journey. This is my experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow - this "blog" (uncertain that is the proper tech term as I've never participated in one...) is a God-send. Here's my next question: what amount of Euro should I carry? I am presuming establishments take VISA and I've checked in with my credit card company to ensure no extra fees. What is the minimum Euro I should leave the states with for my treck?

Thank you! I am catching a train out of Biarritz at 18:19 to Bayonne (18:31) & have a 5 minute interchange to catch a train to SJPP (19:43). I haven't booked an Albergues in SJPP, but need to. Arriving at 7:43pm is kind of late, I know I will be road weary (don't laugh, I know I haven't at that point set foot to the Camino...well ok, go ahead and laugh - lol). Does anyone have a recommendation that isn't too far a walk from the SJPP train station (lol)?
Nothing is too far from the train station, it's a small town, and the center is about 4 blocks from the station. Make your choice on budget. While you are feverishly planning the fastest road to the trail head may I suggest that you SLOW DOWN. Spend a day in Paris, or Bayonne, or Biarritz, or SJPP before you race up the mountain. You have a clock to adjust, and a body to rehydrate. Take your time. It's a pilgrimage, not a race. You are going to be tired and dehydrated. Get your bearings, a great meal, a SIM card for your phone, and breathe a little before setting off.

Take a few hundred euros at most with you. Then you stop at an ATM every few days as required. I usually take out 300 euros at a whack.

If you have the budget to be able to afford a few nights elsewhere than an albergue then you can probably afford to pay for a cash conversion at home to bring 300€. Put maybe 100€ in your wallet and the rest in a money belt. You'll spend it all eventually and in case the ATMs don't work for some reason you'll feel better. Don't expect banks there to convert. If they do then St. James has taken a liking to you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow - this "blog" (uncertain that is the proper tech term as I've never participated in one...) is a God-send.
This is a forum. Blog is actually short for web-log. And there are now Vlogs - video-logs.
Blogs are sites that individuals create to share thoughts, information, etc.

Nothing is too far from the train station, it's a small town, and the center is about 4 blocks from the station. Make your choice on budget. While you are feverishly planning the fastest road to the trail head may I suggest that you SLOW DOWN. Spend a day in Paris, or Bayonne, or Biarritz, or SJPP before you race up the mountain. You have a clock to adjust, and a body to rehydrate. Take your time. It's a pilgrimage, not a race. You are going to be tired and dehydrated. Get your bearings, a great meal, a SIM card for your phone, and breathe a little before setting off.

Take a few hundred euros at most with you. Then you stop at an ATM every few days as required. I usually take out 300 euros at a whack.
Thank you! I will consider - I'm pretty intent on getting to SJPP on the 25th/same day I land in Paris (been there, done that, got the t-$hirt - I don't mean to sound flip, I loved Paris when I did it in the 80's, but budget is dedicated to my spiritual walk this time). I may spend two nights instead of one in SJPP & take time to exhale, register and rest up before I go through Porte St. Jaques and start my Camino in earnest. Buen Camino!

I may spend two nights instead of one in SJPP & take time to exhale, register and rest up before I go through Porte St. Jaques and start my Camino in earnest. Buen Camino!
Excellent idea. The '80s were 40 years ago. Time flies. Bodies age. The mountain you are planning to climb will be ready when you are.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you! I will consider - I'm pretty intent on getting to SJPP on the 25th/same day I land in Paris (been there, done that, got the t-$hirt - I don't mean to sound flip, I loved Paris when I did it in the 80's, but budget is dedicated to my spiritual walk this time). I may spend two nights instead of one in SJPP & take time to exhale, register and rest up before I go through Porte St. Jaques and start my Camino in earnest. Buen Camino!
This is a forum. Blog is actually short for web-log. And there are now Vlogs - video-logs.
Blogs are sites that individuals create to share thoughts, information, etc.
Thank you for the education! Buen Camino!

Wow - this "blog" (uncertain that is the proper tech term as I've never participated in one...) is a God-send. Here's my next question: what amount of Euro should I carry? I am presuming establishments take VISA and I've checked in with my credit card company to ensure no extra fees. What is the minimum Euro I should leave the states with for my treck?
If you stay in a hotel, pension or private albergue, it's very likely they'll take VISA. Municipal and religious albergues probably won't. When you have lunch or dinner in a bar, you can usually pay by card, but some places have a minimum payment with card, so if you only have a coffee or a beer you may have to pay cash. There may be a few bars that don't take cards at all.

So, start off with €200-300 and see how it goes. Try to make sure you always have some cash as small villages won't have an ATM.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back