• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dolomites harder?

If you have hiked the Dolomites ---which part and how did it compare to the Camino Frances or Le Puy. It looks more daunting/less supported? With 5+ Caminos behind me, I will want private room/bath and luggage transfer. thank you!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I crossed the Alps in 2021 and will probably hike the Dolomites on the Alta via No. 1 this summer.
It is a bit more demanding than the CF, somehow comparable to a long day on the Montes de León. It is rated T3, the CF, CP and Norte are rated T1.

But Dolomites without beeing member of one of the "Alpenvereine" (german, austrian or swiss mountaineering associations) is almost undoable. You most likely will have to stay in the Alpenhütten (Hiking Lodges) without private baths. Non members could be turned away, if the lodge is filled. In summer and fall it's almost impossible to book a room in a fitting hotel on your own for the end of the day.

Maybe you should be looking for a Trekking company that book Hotels and transfers etc. for their hikers and doing a recreational and more easy Trail in the Dolomites.

HTH

Last edited:
If you have hiked the Dolomites ---which part and how did it compare to the Camino Frances or Le Puy. It looks more daunting/less supported? With 5+ Caminos behind me, I will want private room/bath and luggage transfer. thank you!
Also interested in this topic! I will be following any comments!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was a member of the Alpenverein (The Austrian one) Britannia in the distant past.

There may be similar affiliated clubs in other countries?

Both the Camino Francés and the Voie du Puy are much less demanding than the Dolomites, although both have stretches which some find a real challenge. The Camino del Norte, particularly when linked to the Camino Primitivo, is closer to the Dolomites in the physical demands upon pilgrims, especially those with a limited time scale. You will have not trouble finding private rooms on the Francés and Le Puy, but occasional difficulties on the Norte and Primitivo, in which an albergue is sometimes the only option, unless you are prepared to cover perhaps 40 km/24 miles in a day; this is rarely necessary, however. The reverse is true on other lesser known Caminos, such as the Olvidado, where the lack in pilgrim accommodation in some places necessitates the use of private rooms in hotels, B & Bs etc. (These are usually reasonably priced.) If you want a fairly demanding Camino, then the Olvidado would be a good choice. Buen Camino, whichever you choose!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Mobilemejen, I've not hiked the Dolomites but I have hiked in the Dolomites. Your question is like asking "If you have hiked the Pyrenees - which part and how did it compare to the Camino Frances or Le Puy".

There are dozens if not hundreds of marked hiking trails of all difficulty levels in the Dolomites area of the Alps. Have you started to look at the area, either online or in guidebooks? Any idea of what you want to do? Multi-day hikes? High trail hikes? Via ferrata hikes?

Good point, Kathar1na. I assumed that Mobilemejen meant that he/she had walked one of the standard extended hut-to-hut treks and wanted to know if the Caminos were as demanding. If, however, he or she is at the planning stage for a trek in the Dolomites, then any high-altitude walking will mean huts rather than private rooms and luggage transfer will be out!

I doubt that there are any “Camino like” treks through the Dolomites. I’d agree with the suggestion to join an organised multi-day trip. It very likely means staying at least some of the time in Alpine huts with shared dormitories and mattresses on the ground. In the case of the OP, I’d advise against doing this on her own. And in a group, she’d have to be fit enough to keep up with the group. At least some members are likely to be younger (and maybe fitter) than her. The other option is centre-based walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mobilemejen, very interesting.
It never would have occurred to me to hike in the mountains and be staying in hotel accommodation with luggage transfer. It sounds a bit like how a 19th century gentlemen would undertake an alpine tour...
However, I went to my search engine and quickly came up with this - Collett's Mountain Holidays. And they look so fantastic that I have now bookmarked them. So thanks for sending me in that direction! cheers, tom

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back