• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donativo or NOT donativo

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
There are certain Albergues that openly advertise on posters that they are donative and then shame you into contributing a specific amount and watch you put the money into the box.If you have very little money ,I will not recomend "privido" Albergues that actually advertise that they are donative and then they charge you a donation for dinner as well. This could cost you 10 euros more than a municipal Albergue. However...........
Personaly , I feel that there is no such thing as a FREE Albergue . There was a time when I had very little money to put into the donativo box and I think that some day I should return to contribute what I think is a fair price to pay for a place to sleep , a wholesome dinner and breakfast. In 2009 ,The Parroquial Albergue at Tosantos managed not only to pay all its expenses out of the donotivo box , but also funded two disadvantaged young lads though a carpentry course.I would like to send them a further contribution - does anyone have a bonifide postal address for Tosantos?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
renshaw, I couldn´t agree more. I think Tosantos is one of the great jewels of the camino, and José Luis Anton, the hospitalero in charge, is a saint. By keeping the place very clean yet very stripped-down (pallets on the floor, few creature comforts) the place keeps to the old pilgrim simplicity, and doesn´t attract the cheap tourists looking for Everything For Nothing.

The address there is:

Albergue Parroquial de Tosantos: San Francisco de Asis
Calle Sta. Maria s/n
Tosantos 09258
Burgos, España

Thanx so much for this address , Luis will getting a nice suprize while opening his post in the next few weeks , I'm sure there will be one or two other pilgrims who will use this oppotunity to make a donation.
Come on Guys! Lets all send him just a few $s or Euros - I certainly need to show my gratatude more than what I could when I had an empty wallet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Did you ever find their address?

Tosantos

Albergue San Francisco de Asís, Calle Santa Maria. Tel: (0034) 947 58 00 85 Beds: 30. Open all year round. Has dining facilities.

Rebekah Scott said:
renshaw, I couldn´t agree more. I think Tosantos is one of the great jewels of the camino, and José Luis Anton, the hospitalero in charge, is a saint. By keeping the place very clean yet very stripped-down (pallets on the floor, few creature comforts) the place keeps to the old pilgrim simplicity, and doesn´t attract the cheap tourists looking for Everything For Nothing.

The address there is:

Albergue Parroquial de Tosantos: San Francisco de Asis
Calle Sta. Maria s/n
Tosantos 09258
Burgos, España

Tosantos was also the high point of my Camino; nothing compared with the wonderful love and kindess show by Jose Luis, which I will always remember. I arrived very, very tired and at a low point - he sat me down, took off my backpack, fed me chocolate and revived my spirit. He gave us the most wonderful, simple meal and his evening prayers restored my soul. I loved his insistence that body, mind and soul needed rest and no one should get up before 6.30 am - what a treat it was not to be disturbed by the early morning brigade. I was very sad to see a doctor write down on her daily expenses that this was 'free' and leave no donation. My stay there was beyond price.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have fond memories of sleeeping on the sofa in the room where pilgrims are welcomed because there were no more mattresses left. Slept like a log, no snorers and up late. The communal meal was lovely.

The evening prayer was proundly moving.

When I was there, there was a young man giving people free foot-rubs.
Oh my gosh, I can't tell you what a blessing that was!

Simple, clean, spiritual and personal.
What more could a pilgrim ask?

Loved the place!

Does anyone have a bankaccount number of Tosantos albergue? Not sure about sending money through regular mail?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SabineP said:
Loved the place!

Does anyone have a bankaccount number of Tosantos albergue? Not sure about sending money through regular mail?

I wonder if HOSVOL can help here?? There should be a site that one can go to and make a debit card contribution - to any of the traditional Paroquial Albergues? :)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back