• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Douro River Cruise

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had friends who did it last summer but it was a week long trip. Have you considered doing the train trip up the valley. I have done that asa day trip and only gone as far as Pinhao for lunch, you could take it to the end of the line and spend a few days hoping on and off. There are some stunning resorts which are accessible by taxi from the train stations.

Thanks for your suggestion
We might have time for a 7 day cruise, just figuring out all options. What did your friends think of the cruise?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Viking River Cruises keeps sending us stuff. I saw that they had cruises on the Douro. I double checked on the web and they do.

If you can't find anyone who has taken this cruise maybe you can find out how camino walkers like these cruises in general.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion
We might have time for a 7 day cruise, just figuring out all options. What did your friends think of the cruise?
They used Viking and have done other river cruises with that line. I believed they enjoyed it, they were with a group of friends but the lowlight of the experience was everyone got back to the US and had Covid.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can anyone recommend a company for a multi-day Douro River cruise? Thinking of adding it on after next falls Camino. Thanks.
We are just back from a 17 day Temples and Treasures of Vietnam and Cambodia with Emerald River Cruises. The cruise part was 8 days sailing on the Meekong River. Emerald were an excellent company with an almost brand new boat and wonderful staff. Highly recommended. I’m sure they do cruises on the Douro.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked the Camino from Porto to Santiago in September, then did a Viking river cruise on the Douro (it starts in Lisbon). We enjoyed it alot. However, a couple days before it ended, I got Covid. My husband did too. Viking was very dismissive of it and not caring if we exposed others. They would've been fine with us continuing to eat in the dining room with everyone else (there was one seating). We wanted to be kind citizens and didn't want to give it to anyone else. We asked Viking if we could eat outside; they said no, because then other people would want to also. So, we had them bring our food down to our small stateroom and we ate there. We are planning to go on another Viking river cruise, but next time I will mask whenever on the bus, and possibly while in the dining room except while eating. As much as a drag as it is to wear a mask, I hated getting Covid and having to cancel the last week of our vacation plans.

A quick check of RiverCruise.com revealed several cruise line options for Fall 2024, if you're interested in a 7 - 10 day cruise. If something more like 4 -6 days is your preference, the only option I saw is Croisi. I know nothing about this company, but the website gives it a very good rating. Here is a link to the website: RiverCruise.com. I'd love to cruise the Duoro someday myself!

The Douro is the "hot" river at the moment. Nearly all of the river cruise companies are offering or are in the process of offering cruises on the Douro. You will want to really compare what each company offers in their fares. Some include absolutely everything (and you pay for it) while others offer more of an ala carte style option which is also good. There are currently a lot of offers out there so check with the various websites and check with a few travel agents to see what they offer as well. Sometimes they have access to some extra benefits. Prior cruiser, veteran, medical personnel discounts and so on.

Cruisecritic's message board forum has a river cruise section in addition to their ocean cruise section.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back