• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

E Bike Riding the Way f St James and Portugese Caminoes

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Buen Camino everyone
1f642.png
:) i didn't make the trip to the Camino due to a serious car accident before i could finish my training. But now i am cleared to train and hopefully soon get an exercise bike also
1f642.png
:) I plan to do the Camino on a E Bike as i cant do it any other way. Hopefully next year i can do this and anyone please feel free to tell me what to expect please. For example where can i stay and what time to book in? are vegetarian meal options available? cost of accommodation in a private room ( my wife is coming but she cant ride or walk much at all but wants to be supportive) how long does it take? what are the gradients like? is the bike trail separate to the walking trail? What guidebooks and apps are best? what shall we do about mobile/cell phones? any reommended bike people to hirea bike from or bring my own? im hoping may june from le puy to fisterre via muxa nd santaigo de compostela and if my legs are up to it especially my knees to lisbon. What should i aim to ride a day in distance? and how long will it take to cover tjhis distance? Is there many flat sections where my wife could use an E bike? what is best time for me to see if i can have accommodation? we both want to be pilgrims and see and enjoy the nature and history. Anything else feel free to let me know via here or inbox thanks all Buen Camino and God bless you all

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

1. E bikes are assisted powered bicycles. If you are considering obtaining a Compostela or alternative completion certificate, they do not qualify in the same manner as those riding a self powered bicycle. Others may have separate opinions on this.

2. The terrain will be varied and there are steep gradients. On the Camino Frances, even experienced cyclists will spend significant time pushing their bicycles up the mountains and hills. The condition of the Camino can be very treacherous even on foot going downhill. Given that E bikes are heavier than regular bikes, and given the effort I have seen bicyclists exert walking bikes up these gradients, the overall Camino on an E bike is not for someone looking at needing an easy method of transiting it to Santiago de Compostela.

There are areas which are relatively flat and wide, like the Meseta, which are much easier to bike, but the Camino Frances, as a whole, has a lot of elevation gain and loss.

3. Many cyclists will use the roads which will generally follow the Camino Frances. For the many narrow areas on the Camino itself, this is an alternative to make things easier. You still pass through the same towns and villages and terrain.

4. Unless you have very good control of your bicycle, regardless of assisted power or manual, pedestrians will be frequent and thick in places and require diligence in slowly and safely moving around them. This could be challenging on downhill sections. Do not count on pedestrian pilgrims hearing you approach or moving aside. Most will IF they know you are there, but pedestrians are in their own world and not paying attention for bicycles.

5. I have heard of difficulties of getting an E bike recharged at night, especially if staying in alburgues.

Your questions about costs for lodging can be researched by using a source like Booking.com to look at lodging options along the Camino. There is a wide variety of prices and types of lodging.

No one can define how far you can ride your bike each day; there are really too many variables. Given your stated physical difficulties, until you are actually on your Camino any guess would be just that. . a guess.

There is a wonderful Search Engine at the top and right hand of the page. It accesses a comprehensive data base of information about most anything you have questions about. Try using it to see what has already been answered with similar questions to those you might have.

This is a wonderful Forum with members who love to help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

1. E bikes are assisted powered bicycles. If you are considering obtaining a Compostela or alternative completion certificate, they do not qualify in the same manner as those riding a self powered bicycle. Others may have separate opinions on this.

2. The terrain will be varied and there are steep gradients. On the Camino Frances, even experienced cyclists will spend significant time pushing their bicycles up the mountains and hills. The condition of the Camino can be very treacherous even on foot going downhill. Given that E bikes are heavier than regular bikes, and given the effort I have seen bicyclists exert walking bikes up these gradients, the overall Camino on an E bike is not for someone looking at needing an easy method of transiting it to Santiago de Compostela.

There are areas which are relatively flat and wide, like the Meseta, which are much easier to bike, but the Camino Frances, as a whole, has a lot of elevation gain and loss.

3. Many cyclists will use the roads which will generally follow the Camino Frances. For the many narrow areas on the Camino itself, this is an alternative to make things easier. You still pass through the same towns and villages and terrain.

4. Unless you have very good control of your bicycle, regardless of assisted power or manual, pedestrians will be frequent and thick in places and require diligence in slowly and safely moving around them. This could be challenging on downhill sections. Do not count on pedestrian pilgrims hearing you approach or moving aside. Most will IF they know you are there, but pedestrians are in their own world and not paying attention for bicycles.

5. I have heard of difficulties of getting an E bike recharged at night, especially if staying in alburgues.

Your questions about costs for lodging can be researched by using a source like Booking.com to look at lodging options along the Camino. There is a wide variety of prices and types of lodging.

No one can define how far you can ride your bike each day; there are really too many variables. Given your stated physical difficulties, until you are actually on your Camino any guess would be just that. . a guess.

There is a wonderful Search Engine at the top and right hand of the page. It accesses a comprehensive data base of information about most anything you have questions about. Try using it to see what has already been answered with similar questions to those you might have.

This is a wonderful Forum with members who love to help. :)
Davebugg thanks for your reply mate and welcome :) I really appreciate your advice and taking time to contact me about this :) my doctor and physiotherapist both thought i might be able to handle about 30 miles or 50 kilometres a day. But also to do lots of training.
Have you done the Camino? which one ?
Yes my wife and i were thinking like staying in monasteries and other places with private rooms. She cant do the trip but she might walk a mile or ride a few miles but not anymore due to her own health issues. Yes i been reading a few things on facebook and this forum also and some guidebooks my gp said to get as my gp doctor has done the whole trail by foot and going back again this year and will visit me after hours when things get more serious in my training since i only started last week.
Feel free to ask me anything and tell me anything mate and i thank you again :)

God bless Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Davebugg thanks for your reply mate and welcome :) I really appreciate your advice and taking time to contact me about this :) my doctor and physiotherapist both thought i might be able to handle about 30 miles or 50 kilometres a day. But also to do lots of training.
Have you done the Camino? which one ?
Yes my wife and i were thinking like staying in monasteries and other places with private rooms. She cant do the trip but she might walk a mile or ride a few miles but not anymore due to her own health issues. Yes i been reading a few things on facebook and this forum also and some guidebooks my gp said to get as my gp doctor has done the whole trail by foot and going back again this year and will visit me after hours when things get more serious in my training since i only started last week.
Feel free to ask me anything and tell me anything mate and i thank you again :)

God bless Buen Camino

Your welcome. There will be other Forum members who will also post advice and answers as well.

Yes, I have done the Camino Frances. I was on it in 2017, and again last year. This year I will be doing both the Camino Ingles and the Camino Aragones.

Your welcome. There will be other Forum members who will also post advice and answers as well.

Yes, I have done the Camino Frances. I was on it in 2017, and again last year. This year I will be doing both the Camino Ingles and the Camino Aragones.
Awesome mate and how did you enjoy your caminos so far? and i want to wish u the very best and praying for you as you do 2 new caminos this year :)
Yes i look forward to anyones reply :)

Cheers mate

@davebugg I think we have had a similar conversation before. I seem to recall that @t2andreo stated then that the cathedral's policy is to make no distinction between power-assisted bikes and the ordinary pedal versions. Which seems to lack logic and consistency but when has that mattered? :cool:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-hybrid-bicycles-on-camino.55137/#post-616759

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@davebugg I think we have had a similar conversation before. I seem to recall that @t2andreo stated then that the cathedral's policy is to make no distinction between power-assisted bikes and the ordinary pedal versions. Which seems to lack logic and consistency but when has that mattered? :cool:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-hybrid-bicycles-on-camino.55137/#post-616759
thanks Bradypus much appreciated mate :) yes you think it be a difference since one is power assisted and other is leg only assisted. I wish i could walk or leg power bike it but due to injuries to my body from a car accident my dr and physiotherapist recommend i do this via a E bike :)
Feel free to ask me anything mate and have a awesome week

Just re-read that thread again. I entirely agree with your view.
Davebugg yes i read from t2andreo if your e bike is power assisted but u can pedal also it seems its leagal at the moment but if you use the motor all the way and not use your legs that is not legal. I will now plan to use a e bike where i can pedal and use the power up the hills that i know i need help with :) i know that will be plenty. But i believe what will be hard is finding a place for my wife and I to stay in a private room somehwere

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Davebugg yes i read from t2andreo if your e bike is power assisted but u can pedal also it seems its leagal at the moment but if you use the motor all the way and not use your legs that is not legal. I will now plan to use a e bike where i can pedal and use the power up the hills that i know i need help with :) i know that will be plenty. But i believe what will be hard is finding a place for my wife and I to stay in a private room somehwere

Tom definitely has a good handle on the issues of the Pilgrim Office and provides answers you can trust.

It is worth being prepared for the fact that there will not be enough power in an E bike to get up some of the uphill grades if you use the pathway. And that is aside of the fact that many of those areas are treacherous even on foot when walking both uphill and downhill. You will probably need to ride on the roads in those situations unless you opt to push the bike up the hills.

While I do not agree with the present interpretation for considering E bikes to be the same as manual powered bikes, it is not my opinion which determines policy. I am glad that you now have a clear answer on that issue. :)

Tom definitely has a good handle on the issues of the Pilgrim Office and provides answers you can trust.

It is worth being prepared for the fact that there will not be enough power in an E bike to get up some of the uphill grades if you use the pathway. And that is aside of the fact that many of those areas are treacherous even on foot when walking both uphill and downhill. You will probably need to ride on the roads in those situations unless you opt to push the bike up the hills.

While I do not agree with the present interpretation for considering E bikes to be the same as manual powered bikes, it is not my opinion which determines policy. I am glad that you now have a clear answer on that issue. :)
Davebugg thanks again mate :) really appreciate everything you are telling and teaching me :) yes i thought it be a different ruling but seems there is with if you dont pedal at all you dont get your certificate. But how would they police this? Yes i believe road is best option as i wont be able to push much due to my injuries.
Thanks again mate :)

Le Puy to Lisbon via Santiago and Finisterre is around 2,300km. When calculating the time you need for this odyssey, take into account the days for rest and tourism and the short days that you'll do when you're feeling sapped of energy or when the terrain is hard. If your maximum daily distance is 50km, your average distance per day might end up between 30-40km, making this a 57 to 77 day trip.

You can check the elevation profiles for the Le Puy and Camino Frances routes on this site (Le Puy is labelled "Via Podiense" and Frances is labelled "Camino de Santiago"). Just select start and end points and click through to get a profile of the section that interests you:

Compare those with elevation maps for the Portugues from this thread:

The good news is that a 50km range gives you more options than most walkers in terms of where to stay. Since you have a few special needs such as charging your beast and following a vegetarian diet, you will want to do some careful planning. It will sometimes be hard to find vegetarian options when dining out (or at someone's home) so you might find it preferable to do regular shopping trips and cook some of your own meals.

If I were you, I'd consider reversing your route. I think that the route from Lisbon has less elevation gain and loss, which could be helpful as you ease yourself into the rhythm of daily cycling, and it will put you on the road north to Le Puy in June when temperatures increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Davebugg thanks again mate :) really appreciate everything you are telling and teaching me :) yes i thought it be a different ruling but seems there is with if you dont pedal at all you dont get your certificate. But how would they police this? Yes i believe road is best option as i wont be able to push much due to my injuries.
Thanks again mate :)

They would 'police' it the same way that they do now for everyone walking, biking, or horseback riding. They ask if you have completed the pilgrimage to the Cathedral in the way the rules prescribe. Along with the stamps in the Credencial, they rely on the individual to be truthful.

After all, what keeps someone from traveling by taxi each day, instead of walking, and collecting the required two stamps per day over the final 100 kms? And then lying and saying that they walked? How would one police that? :)

After all, what keeps someone from traveling by taxi each day, instead of walking, and collecting the required two stamps per day over the final 100 kms? And then lying and saying that they walked?

In my case probably misplaced pride and obstinacy :cool: That sounds like the kind of mind that solves a Rubik's cube by peeling all the stickers off then replacing them in the right pattern. What would be the point? :)

They would 'police' it the same way that they do now for everyone walking, biking, or horseback riding. They ask if you have completed the pilgrimage to the Cathedral in the way the rules prescribe. Along with the stamps in the Credencial, they rely on the individual to be truthful.

After all, what keeps someone from traveling by taxi each day, instead of walking, and collecting the required two stamps per day over the final 100 kms? And then lying and saying that they walked? How would one police that? :)

As some of use have witnessed far too often.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can I say that, while I applaud your determination to not let your accident rule your plans, it might be worth your while lowering your aim a bit.
You are proposing an absolutely epic journey and admit that neither you nor your wife are 100% fit and able so the logistics could be formidable - if she is only able to walk a couple of kilometres or so how will she be able to keep pace with your 50? If she progresses by taxi then she'll likely spend a lot of her time kicking her heels waiting for you. If she does some of the flatter sections by ebike then how are you going to transport the "spare" bike between those stages.
Might it not be worthwhile to do a shorter Camino say from Burgos? That way you would be able to cross the Meseta early on in your journey (believe me, I've seen pancakes that weren't as flat!) and build up some strength and stamina before tackling the climbs of O Cebriero and Alto do Poio.
You'll still see some amazing countryside, meet some inspiring fellow pilgrims and have, I've no doubt, a terrific time.
On the other hand if you're determined to do two Caminos back to back . . . crack on and good luck to you!

PS in your present state of fitness what kind of distances can you achieve over what terrain. Also what is your target date for starting out?

Buen Camino!

There are two more things to consider. If you want to use e-bikes you will probably have to hire them as most airlines won’t carry them on account of the batteries. You may be well able to ride 50km a day, but if you ride in turbo mode the battery may be exhausted before you are. Best of luck with the endeavour!

There are two more things to consider. If you want to use e-bikes you will probably have to hire them as most airlines won’t carry them on account of the batteries. You may be well able to ride 50km a day, but if you ride in turbo mode the battery may be exhausted before you are. Best of luck with the endeavour!
On the subject of e-bikes... Is there a second-hand market for them? Could one buy a new or nearly new e-bike in Paris or Lisbon and resell it a couple of months later? How would the depreciation compare to the cost of rental for two months?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen camino, @pilgrimglenn7 . Just know you may not be able to get a compostela. @t2andreo will be able to give you the complete run-down on that.

What would be the point? :)
Bragging rights, presumably. For those who care about such things.
What they don't consider is the ultimate karmic baggage. Ick.

Last edited:
On the subject of e-bikes... Is there a second-hand market for them? Could one buy a new or nearly new e-bike in Paris or Lisbon and resell it a couple of months later? How would the depreciation compare to the cost of rental for two months?

That is a good consideration. I would also investigate the cost of replacing the batteries in the used E bike, as they might be toward the end of their useful life. I found this at a site on E bike maintenance:

"Batteries don’t last forever but most of the major manufacturers like Samsung and Panasonic that supply Bosch, Yamaha, Impulse and some Bafang drive systems estimate 1,000 cycles and warranty about two years of continuous use. The cost of battery replacement ranges from $500 to $800 depending on the size of the pack and whether it’s custom or more standardized in shape and interface. Some batteries can’t be replaced via the original equipment manufacturer at all because the brand has gone out of business and in those cases the battery case can often be repacked for ~$500."

what keeps someone from traveling by taxi each day, instead of walking,

There is a move on the Via Francigena to make pilgrimages far more accessible to those of limited mobility. It may upset the purists, but it is much more in keeping with the idea that a pilgrimage is for all.

10ni8mq.jpg

Sign here for those taking cars or taxis. Also saw signs for those on horseback. Perhaps in years to come there will be a specific sign for every option as well as walking.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.