• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easy Electical Question

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
Likely Diego will quickly answer this one. I understand that the electrical outlets are simply two round holes about 1 inch / 2.5c apart and parallel to the ground, the same as Germany. Is that correct?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Likely Diego will quickly answer this one. I understand that the electrical outlets are simply two round holes about 1 inch / 2.5c apart and parallel to the ground, the same as Germany. Is that correct?
I should have noted that my question was about Portuguese electrical outlets.

Yeap, that's it mate. You can buy an AC adapter and bring it on, or you can buy one here in Portugal. It's your choice :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never bought one of these in Portugal, but I've had to buy several in Spain, and they were not cheap. Because, inevitably, there will be some morning when I am done charging my camera batteries and I pull the charger out of the wall, and the adapter stays in the plug. So now I always carry a few extras with me.

Diogo, are they expensive in Portugal? In Spain I've paid 8-10 euros. But that was in fancy electronic stores, so maybe the tienda de chinos have them for less.

Well, the Chinese stores sell them for about 3€ or 4€, it depends from what you want.

Of course that if you go to a big electronic supplier, that they will charge it much more then the chinese. However, look for the safety side of the thing: I rather prefer to pay 8€ for a thing knowing that it's secure and certified, than to buy it on a chinese store.

And trust me, that kind of product it's not trustworthy to be bought on a "low cost" place. At the Hotel where I work, if we didn't hade any safety measures on the rooms electrical boards, I think that probably ate least in the last 2 and a half years (the time that I'm already working in there) the Hotel could be burned to ashes in 4 or 5 times just because of chinese products.

Best Regards
Diogo

Yeap, that's it mate. You can buy an AC adapter and bring it on, or you can buy one here in Portugal. It's your choose :p

Best Regards
Diogo
Diogo,
My apologies for the spelling error of your name! :oops:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No problem @flewitheagles , it happens a lot, because people are not used to the portuguese variation of the name. Even in Brazil, a country which official language it's Portuguese, they use more the "Diego" than the "Diogo".

Best Regards
Diogo

Ohhhh, and by the way, the ones with the USB adaptor has @Lise T talked, are great!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, the Chinese stores sell them for about 3€ or 4€, it depends from what you want.

Of course that if you go to a big electronic supplier, that they will charge it much more then the chinese. However, look for the safety side of the thing: I rather prefer to pay 8€ for a thing knowing that it's secure and certified, than to buy it on a chinese store.

And trust me, that kind of product it's not trustworthy to be bought on a "low cost" place. At the Hotel where I work, if we didn't hade any safety measures on the rooms electrical boards, I think that probably ate least in the last 2 and a half years (the time that I'm already working in there) the Hotel could be burned to ashes in 4 or 5 times just because of chinese products.

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi, Diogo,
The adapters I have bought are all basically a cheap piece of plastic with holes on one side to insert the US plug and a couple of pieces of metal on the other side to plug into the European sockets. They are available in the US for $2.85 at a reputable travel company (Magellans), so that's well below the chinese store price. I am unaware that there are any safety concerns about these things -- but that could just be my ignorance. What kinds of things do we need to look out for?

What kinds of things do we need to look out for?

Electrical goods sold in the EU should have a CE marking to show the design has been tested to the appropriate standard otherwise its illegal to sell them (assuming it is something covered by legislation which most mains powered electrical goods are). It is similar to FCC marking in the US.

However, the ever resourceful Chinese factory owners use a Chinese Engineering (CE) stamp with a remarkably similar logo (but subtly different) to the official CE (conformité Europeene) stamp logo.

...inevitably, there will be some morning when I am done charging my camera batteries and I pull the charger out of the wall, and the adapter stays in the plug. So now I always carry a few extras with me.
Try taping the adapter and charger together with duct tape or electrical tape. If you have multiple chargers, you'll need multiple adapters, but at least you won't be leaving them behind in the morning rush to get things packed up. With the trend toward more and more devices using USB cables for charging, consider getting a charger with at least two USB female outlets so you can charge multiple devices at once.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Diogo,
The adapters I have bought are all basically a cheap piece of plastic with holes on one side to insert the US plug and a couple of pieces of metal on the other side to plug into the European sockets. They are available in the US for $2.85 at a reputable travel company (Magellans), so that's well below the chinese store price. I am unaware that there are any safety concerns about these things -- but that could just be my ignorance. What kinds of things do we need to look out for?

The logo for "Conformité Europeene" it's this one:

CE.png

The Chinese logo uses a squared normal E, instead of the rounded one.

Best regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back