• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eleventh hour advice needed

Cycling Joe

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to cycle some portion starting late February
My work situation recently changed and last week I booked a flight into Madrid arriving Feb 22 and out of London on March 9. I would like to cycle some portion of the Camino and could use some quick advice.

My cycling experience in a nutshell:
  • Experienced in road touring and comfortable averaging 100 miles or so per day in the (non-snowy) mountains carrying minimalist load of about 5 lb. Also happy to slow down and do less daily mileage in cultural areas, but still prefer minimalist approach.
  • Lots of MTB experience, but never a multi-day tour.
Current plan:
  • Outfit my full suspension Ibis Mojo SL MTB with a Revelate Terrapin harness, Maxxis Ikon 2.35 tires, and about 7 lbs of gear.
  • Take train from Madrid to Pamplona then MTB along the walker's path to Santiago de Compostela averaging about 60km (37 mi) per riding day.
  • Take a rest day in Leon, stay in albuerges as much as possible and interact with locals/travelers.
  • Fly from SCQ to London.
Questions:
  • What kind of hurdles will I face given the early season timing?
  • Should I adjust the start or end point given my propensity to want to ride a lot?
Edit: Planning to wear pretty much only wool, GoreTex, and leather to regulate body temp and protect from the rain. Also, I'll likely ship my non-cycling essentials in my carry-on suitcase from end to end. This worked great in the Pyrenees last summer.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rain and mud are distinct possibilities.

Also, sharing roads with cars, so make sure you're higly visible, including in rain or fog. Blinking lights are good.

Some parts of the walking path are not suitable for bikes; often signposted.

There's also a distinct chance of addiction: you may like it so much you'll keep coming back...

Have a good Camino!

Thanks, Heidi!

Safety is a top priority and I'll probably mount two blinking tail lights for the busy road sections. Most of the walking path is ridable, right? Any idea how much cycling would be path vs. road?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cycling Joe,

In addition to crossing the Pyrenees biking along the N135 route
other difficult CF stretches after winter storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, up to and down from O Cebreiro.

Be sure to check the daily weather forecasts, listen to local advice and be prepared!

Stay safe and Buen camino!

In addition to crossing the Pyrenees biking along the N135 route

Do you think the trail from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles and onward might be passable on a mountain bike as early as next week? I'm adventurous, but had mostly ruled out the Pyrenees so I don't get stuck in non-ridable snow.

Do you think the trail from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles and onward might be passable on a mountain bike as early as next week? I'm adventurous, but had mostly ruled out the Pyrenees so I don't get stuck in non-ridable snow.

The only path from SJPdP to Roncesvalles open in winter until April 1 is the Valcarlos alternate. To bike it now or anytime through the wood might be very difficult. However biking along the road N135 which parallels it should be possible.

For more on this route see this current Forum thread--
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-route.45235/

and this earlier thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Joe!

I missed a blinking taillight, you alreday thought about that.
I rode on similar tires as you and had about 4 punctures, take along enough spare tubes. In the end I wished I had used puncture-proof tires.
Make sure that all screws are locked tightly, consider Lock-tite.
Take along spare break-pads.
Wool and goretex are great! I went in May and had everything between 52° down to 0° and snow. Buffs are great.

Current plan:
  • Outfit my full suspension Ibis Mojo SL MTB with a Revelate Terrapin harness, Maxxis Ikon 2.35 tires, and about 7 lbs of gear.
  • Take train from Madrid to Pamplona then MTB along the walker's path to Santiago de Compostela averaging about 60km (37 mi) per riding day.
  • Take a rest day in Leon, stay in albuerges as much as possible and interact with locals/travelers.

Thanks, Heidi!

Safety is a top priority and I'll probably mount two blinking tail lights for the busy road sections. Most of the walking path is ridable, right? Any idea how much cycling would be path vs. road?

Sorry, I just walk. But there are cyclists here, and I'm sure they'll reply.

I am a walker...Just can say that a lot of cyclists (Italians, particularly) do the Camino in March; most do it in groups, though.
I add that very probably between Hornillos del Camino and Hontanas there are sections where the Camino will be so muddy that you will have to dismount and carry your bike on your shoulder. I suggest you study the maps, and have a "plan b" by an alternative paved road.
Good ride!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We only cycled through the meseta, and at times were on road where the speed limit was 100km/hr! That was scary to me, but we didn't have any alternative at that point and just got off the road as soon as we could. Also, you may want to check ahead at the albergues you intend to stop at, as not all will accept bikes.

I am a walker...Just can say that a lot of cyclists (Italians, particularly) do the Camino in March; most do it in groups, though.
I add that very probably between Hornillos del Camino and Hontanas there are sections where the Camino will be so muddy that you will have to dismount and carry your bike on your shoulder. I suggest you study the maps, and have a "plan b" by an alternative paved road.
Good ride!

Any idea if the Italians are typically on road or mountain bikes in March?

I could still flip back to my road bike if it's better this time of year, though I do look forward to spending time on offroad trails away from the traffic.

It is a boots vs walking shoes...I have seen many different types of bikes (but most very technical, expensive looking). I have only incidental talks with cyclists (the thing with them is that they tend to form semi-closed groups).
By their comments, it seemed to me that Italians followed mainly the paved roads: they were into speed and distance. Some of them were very well organized, with matching "maillots", even taking turns to drive a minivan with spares and stuff from stage to stage. Seemed they were having a great time and lots of fun.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My work situation recently changed and last week I booked a flight into Madrid arriving Feb 22 and out of London on March 9. I would like to cycle some portion of the Camino and could use some quick advice.

My cycling experience in a nutshell:
  • Experienced in road touring and comfortable averaging 100 miles or so per day in the (non-snowy) mountains carrying minimalist load of about 5 lb. Also happy to slow down and do less daily mileage in cultural areas, but still prefer minimalist approach.
  • Lots of MTB experience, but never a multi-day tour.
Current plan:
Questions:
  • What kind of hurdles will I face given the early season timing?
  • Should I adjust the start or end point given my propensity to want to ride a lot?
Edit: Planning to wear pretty much only wool, GoreTex, and leather to regulate body temp and protect from the rain. Also, I'll likely ship my non-cycling essentials in my carry-on suitcase from end to end. This worked great in the Pyrenees last summer.
Cycling from SJPdP to Roncessvalles at that time of year can be treacherous, mud, leaves, snow, mist. I concur with taking the road. From Roncessvalles to Pamplona will be no picnic either, the path follows rough farm paths, plenty of rocks, and more mud, and it's not as downhill as you might instinctively feel. Au contraire, mucho up and down on the way to Pamplona. But once you make it there, things rapidly improve. We cycled May some years ago. It was brilliant. But every time we approached mountains, we hit rain. Ok so long as you are prepared. There are always alternative routes too. Been Camino !

I cycled from Pamplona - in Sept 2015 - I rode a MTB with knobblies - lucky no punctures. There are usually one or two good bike repair shops in most Spanish towns/cities -. One or two I can recommend in Leon - Bicicletas Blanco C/Andres Gonzalez 1. tel 987 209 610. Did a service for me - including washing the bike. In Santiago Velocipedo - Rue San Pedro 23. tel 981 580 260 are also most helpful - especially if you need to pack your bike for transport. If you log on to the CSJ web site they should also have some more advice on cycling & repair shops. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.