• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

English in Galicia

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I just read something interesting this morning in La Voz de Galicia (local paper) regarding the knowledge of English i Galicia. To make a long article short....

... 3% of people in Galicia speak English fluently.

... 65% of people in Galicia do not even know one word of English.

When that it said, Galician people are known for being very friendly and willing to help if they meet someone is trying to communicate with them and they do not speak a common language.

Anyway, I found this statistic interesting and I have to say that I think it sounds right. This is coming from one that moved to Santiago without knowing much Spanish...

Un saludo,
Ivar

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ivar;

That statistic is probably right. I had a hard time 3 1/2 years ago when I arrived at A Coroña to join the oil spill response operation after the Prestige accident. I did, however, experience that the people were extremely helpful and WANTED me to understand and to understand me. This is also my experience from my recent walk through Navarra (and part of Rioja). (Especially in small villages).

Great web page, by the way!

Ha en fin kveld!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm sure that you can get by without Spanish in Galicia but having a working knowledge does make it more fun. About a week ago, being able to chat led to lots of free drinks and a lesson on playing the Gaita (bagpipes). Walking the next day with a hangover was not so much fun.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum