• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment for July 2023 Camino

hokiebobwise

July '23 (CF/Astorga)
Time of past OR future Camino
CF/Astorga July 2023
Good day everyone. My son and I returned from the CF (Astorga to SdC) and I wanted to share our gear, as well as some thoughts about the gear.
The following items were in my pack, totalling 6.2kg
  • Osprey Stratos 36L (REI)
  • Aleader Water shoes
  • Longsinger Rain Cape (Poncho)
  • 1x Quick dry T-Shirt
  • 2x REI wool socks
  • 2x Duluth Copper boxer/briefs
  • buff
  • 2x 1.5L Camelback water bottles
    • when filled they added ~4kg of weight so rarely filled them to capacity
  • Sea to Summit Airlite towel
  • Venture Travel neck pouch
    • passport, credit card, debit card, drivers license + cash
  • Curtsod rechargeable Headlamp + charger
  • Browint Silk Liner
  • Wise Pilgrim Travel Guide (paperback)
  • Journal + pen
  • Shell
  • Sunblock
  • lipbalm
  • Sea to Summit Wilderness wash
  • 5x S-hooks
  • Small sewing kit
  • spork
  • Power adapter
  • Ear plugs
  • 10x clothes pins
  • 6x diaper pints
  • Osprey 20L dry sack (used for washing)
  • 2x 5L dry sack
  • 1x 8L dry sack
  • Bossman bar soap (not recommended)
  • toothbrush + small toothpaste
  • travel deodorant
  • hand sanitizer (never used)
  • Toilet paper roll (never used)
  • 10x Advil (bought more)
  • Neosporin
  • Compeed
  • 10x Bandairds (bought more)
I wore the following items
  • Quick dry T-Shirt
  • REI zipper off pants
  • REI wool socks
  • Duluth Copper boxer/briefs
  • Merrill Moab 3
  • buff
  • hat
  • Sunglasses
I used the dry sacks to keep items separate.
  • Medical Bag (5L) - for all things necessary for tending to blisters, of which i had some ugly ones. I kept this at the top of my pack so that it would be easy to access
  • Albergue Bag (5L) - for all things, aside from clothes, that one needs. headlamp, sleep sack, chargers, etc; placed above the clothes back
  • Clothes Bag (8L) - clean clothes for changing in to after the evening shower, at the bottom of the pack
  • 20L -> used to wash clothes and to secure "smelly" clothes when I wasn't able to readily wash
We only stayed in an Albergue for a one night, so some of the items, such as sleep sack and towel, were only used a single time. The "water" shoes were used as evening shoes, and they did pretty good. However, once the blisters set in, they were a bad choice since they were the "proper" shoe size and therefore gave no space to bandaged blisters; I ended up buying a pair of slides in Melide that were 4 sizes too big, but perfect for those last few days.

The Bossman bar soap was charcoal based and it made a mess. I kept it in a ziplock back and that resulted in the soap never drying and by day 5 it was mushy and would cake off when you touched it. Luckily, around the time I got sick of it, we were staying in places that had body wash/shampoo in packets or on the shower wall. I chose ziplock back to save weight, but maybe there is a better way to travel with this type of soap so that it would properly dry and not become mush.

In Spain I bought a lighter, to assist with blister care, as well as a pocket knife. However, the knife never made it through Leon train station as it was 7" long when fully open, and the limit is 5". Had it been in my son's pocket, instead of pack, we may have been able to keep it. Granted, only 1 time would we have needed it. We only had 2 periods of rain where the poncho was required. It was mid-60's and with the poncho on, it might as well had been 160. It was a heat box and not enjoyable. If I were traveling in winter, it would probably be perfect, but not when you are walking in 60's and 70's, it trapped so much heat it was unbearable. However, I wasn't interested in my pack and gear getting wet.

In hostals/hotels/pensions, we did our laundry, most times, in the bathroom. Even though the clothes were quick dry, they rarely dried; I would even use the hairdryer in an effort to dry them. In the Albergue, they dried great outside on the clothes line. By the end, I happily paid the 5 to 10 euros for the establishment to wash our clothes.

As I mentioned, the pack without water, weighed in at 6.2kg, on the airport scale, and it was not a problem. I had REI help me in sizing my pack, so things sat perfectly on my hips. I will say, the design of the "water sleeve" was terrible. It was virtually impossible to get the water back in the sleeve without unstrapping, even retrieving was difficult if I had my load lifters set for uphill. When walking with my son, we could help each other, but when alone i had to unstrap the pack in order to get the water back in. My pack had a place for a water bladder, but that would have been too tedious to pull things out and add back when filling up at a water fountain.

I bought items from REI (USA) and Amazon. Overall, I spent close to $1,800 for all of my gear (2 people) since I had to buy everything in order for us to go. I also made an attempt to not go cheap with what I bought, as I wanted my gear to be used again and again. We have already decided we want to go back again, and again, and again.

You will notice that I did not mention poles. We opted to allow for the Camino to provide and sure enough it did. We each found supportive sticks along the way, and while they weren't fancy or the "proper" size, they did us right and gave us the support we needed on the more difficult slopes of the Camino Frances.

Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your post-walk report. I appreciate your honesty in what worked and didn’t work.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Bob, great report and I’m wondering if there were items you would remove from the list, add to the list or change. Thinking about it the soap I have always found a problem. I use a hard plastic case, top half and bottom half with an elastic band. In the morning I leave the top off and elastic band around and put right at the top of the pack to dry out. Once dry, I put both halves of the case together and close with elastic band . A bit of a hassle but works. As I have special soap for eczema .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bob, great report and I’m wondering if there were items you would remove from the list, add to the list or change. Thinking about it the soap I have always found a problem. I use a hard plastic case, top half and bottom half with an elastic band. In the morning I leave the top off and elastic band around and put right at the top of the pack to dry out. Once dry, I put both halves of the case together and close with elastic band . A bit of a hassle but works. As I have special soap for eczema .
There are definitely a few things I'd leave off the list.
- Headlamp -> I bought it for walking in early morning and with the red light option for when I was in shared accommodations. I never left before 6:30, thus it wasn't needed for walking and the folks in the Albergue were using their cell phones as a light
- Water shoes -> I considered flip flops before I left and voted for the water shoes. 100% would go with slides or flip flops, they allow more air to the feet at the end of the day and are lighter
- Poncho -> we didn't get much rain and as I mentioned, it was a heatbox. My pack had a rain cover but, honestly, I didn't learn how to put it on and had doubts that it would keep things dry -> the last thing I wanted was my pilgrim passport to get wet
- Water bottles -> 1.5L is too big, when both were filled they weighed 3kg. I would opt for a single 1.5L or 2-1L bottles. Saves weight and with the amount of water options on the Frances, I never had to fill up. If I did a more remote way I might consider keeping them.
- Sunglasses -> it was sunny, but i never wore them on my face; they seemed to always stay on top of my hat.

Excluding water bottles, I would have shaved .75kg from the pack; shrinking the water bottes would save another 1.5kg. The pack weight was never an issue but one thing my son an I considered is this.' Instead of alternating pant/shirt each day, simply keep one outfit just for the evenings. By the end of the 2+ weeks, our clothes smelled terrible, even using a washing machine at some places. Keeping an "evening" set would have made it a little more bearable, and it wouldn't have added weight since we already had the clothes packed.

1 last thing, i'm not 100% sold on my Merrill Moab 3. The soles are firm and when walking on pavement or in the heat of the day, my feet simply didn't get enough air/freedom. I ended up with some nasty blisters on my left foot (right was okay) and I'm not entirely sure if it was the shoes or just dumb luck. I put 50+km on the Merrill's before I left and knew that when it got hot out that my feet tended to get extra warm and it wasn't comfortable. Now, factor a 30km walk and one wouldn't be surprised that my feet were punished.

bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If your Moabs were the waterproof versions with gortex that would tend to worsen the problems you encountered.
that they were. I've heard it said that you pack your fears; my worries about getting my feet wet resulted in me getting shoes that weren't as breathable as I would have liked. For next time, I'll probably go with Keen hiking sandals if it is in the warmer months.

There are definitely a few things I'd leave off the list.
- Headlamp -> I bought it for walking in early morning and with the red light option for when I was in shared accommodations. I never left before 6:30, thus it wasn't needed for walking and the folks in the Albergue were using their cell phones as a light
- Water shoes -> I considered flip flops before I left and voted for the water shoes. 100% would go with slides or flip flops, they allow more air to the feet at the end of the day and are lighter
- Poncho -> we didn't get much rain and as I mentioned, it was a heatbox. My pack had a rain cover but, honestly, I didn't learn how to put it on and had doubts that it would keep things dry -> the last thing I wanted was my pilgrim passport to get wet
- Water bottles -> 1.5L is too big, when both were filled they weighed 3kg. I would opt for a single 1.5L or 2-1L bottles. Saves weight and with the amount of water options on the Frances, I never had to fill up. If I did a more remote way I might consider keeping them.
- Sunglasses -> it was sunny, but i never wore them on my face; they seemed to always stay on top of my hat.

Excluding water bottles, I would have shaved .75kg from the pack; shrinking the water bottes would save another 1.5kg. The pack weight was never an issue but one thing my son an I considered is this.' Instead of alternating pant/shirt each day, simply keep one outfit just for the evenings. By the end of the 2+ weeks, our clothes smelled terrible, even using a washing machine at some places. Keeping an "evening" set would have made it a little more bearable, and it wouldn't have added weight since we already had the clothes packed.

1 last thing, i'm not 100% sold on my Merrill Moab 3. The soles are firm and when walking on pavement or in the heat of the day, my feet simply didn't get enough air/freedom. I ended up with some nasty blisters on my left foot (right was okay) and I'm not entirely sure if it was the shoes or just dumb luck. I put 50+km on the Merrill's before I left and knew that when it got hot out that my feet tended to get extra warm and it wasn't comfortable. Now, factor a 30km walk and one wouldn't be surprised that my feet were punished.

bob
Thanks Bob,
It’s all great information for planning.
I wear Moab 3 adventurer for everything and love them . I have 3 pairs at the moment , brown, black and then three quarter high boots as well. I’ve owned 6 pair and walk everywhere in them. I have used both waterproof and non. The waterproof are hotter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.