• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie with Sarria to Santiago - Equipment ?s

Carol2024

Time of past OR future Camino
100K Route (Frances, Portugues, English)
Hi, all!

I recently asked a question about routes & received such overwhelmingly positive responses, I'd like to get a little advice regarding equipment for a 100k Camino! :)
Hubby's work schedule only allows a week-10 days off so we have chosen the Sarria to Santiago Camino. Very excited!!!

I have been reading & researching a lot online but appreciate this board for the ability to actively communicate with experienced Camino pilgrims. So cool!

I currently have Keen Terradora II waterproof books (see pic) that I currently use to hike and was wondering if those are good for the Camino or would a good pair of running/trail sneakers be more comfortable? If anyone has shoe suggestions, plz do suggest!
1709401196563.png
Also, shopping for backpacks & curious which brand &/or size you personally recommended for a 100k Camino.

Your comments are greatly appreciated. Super excited to go on this mini Camino adventure with dreams of going on a complete Camino pilgrimage someday! Dare to dream, right?!? :)

Thx!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, all!

I recently asked a question about routes & received such overwhelmingly positive responses, I'd like to get a little advice regarding equipment for a 100k Camino! :)
Hubby's work schedule only allows a week-10 days off so we have chosen the Sarria to Santiago Camino. Very excited!!!

I have been reading & researching a lot online but appreciate this board for the ability to actively communicate with experienced Camino pilgrims. So cool!

I currently have Keen Terradora II waterproof books (see pic) that I currently use to hike and was wondering if those are good for the Camino or would a good pair of running/trail sneakers be more comfortable? If anyone has shoe suggestions, plz do suggest!
View attachment 165398
Also, shopping for backpacks & curious which brand &/or size you personally recommended for a 100k Camino.

Your comments are greatly appreciated. Super excited to go on this mini Camino adventure with dreams of going on a complete Camino pilgrimage someday! Dare to dream, right?!? :)

Thx!
Better to stick with something you’re used to.

Trail-Runners are often recommended on here, and are most certainly sufficient for the terrain from Sarria; but I stick to lightweight leather boots, which are my habitual daily footwear in any case.

Walking from Sarria is a ‘complete’ Camino. The start points are totally arbitrary, it’s only the destination which is important.

what month?

we just did Sarria to Santiago in December. A lot of rain. I wore trail running shoes which were perfect with gators added at times. But I did break them in before we went. I think that’s hugely important. And lots of wool socks, T-shirts etc. But that’s for winter.

I suggest buying your shoes as soon as possible and starting to wear/walk in them. the most important thing is that they’re right for your feet - boots or shoes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Better to stick with something you’re used to.

Trail-Runners are often recommended on here, and are most certainly sufficient for the terrain from Sarria; but I stick to lightweight leather boots, which are my habitual daily footwear in any case.

Walking from Sarria is a ‘complete’ Camino. The start points are totally arbitrary, it’s only the destination which is important.
Thank you! Makes perfect sense. & I do appreciate your comment about a "complete" Camino. I am definitely excited about this 1st journey as I do believe it will lead to much, much more! Thx, again!

would a good pair of running/trail sneakers be more comfortable?
Only you can say. Try walking a couple of consecutive days of 15-20 km and decide for yourself.

which brand &/or size you personally recommended for a 100k Camino.
It would be the same for a week or a month or even more on the Camino. The clothes and equipment would be the same, with only very minor adjustments for the season. It should be a pack with hip strap and sternum strap. Like shoes, the model must be the most comfortable model on your body, tested on the same 15-20 km walks as the shoes. The size should be big enough to hold what you want it to hold, and not too much bigger. For me, that is about 30 L.

what month?

we just did Sarria to Santiago in December. A lot of rain. I wore trail running shoes which were perfect with gators added at times. But I did break them in before we went. I think that’s hugely important. And lots of wool socks, T-shirts etc. But that’s for winter.

I suggest buying your shoes as soon as possible and starting to wear/walk in them. the most important thing is that they’re right for your feet - boots or shoes.
October is the goal.

Thanks for the advice on everything! Breaking them in is definitely great advice!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Only you can say. Try walking a couple of consecutive days of 15-20 km and decide for yourself.

It would be the same for a week or a month or even more on the Camino. The clothes and equipment would be the same, with only very minor adjustments for the season. It should be a pack with hip strap and sternum strap. Like shoes, the model must be the most comfortable model on your body, tested on the same 15-20 km walks as the shoes. The size should be big enough to hold what you want it to hold, and not too much bigger. For me, that is about 30 L.
Thx! I love my Keen shoes & find them very comfortable for hiking so I may just go with those!

Going to try backpacks on soon so your advice is much appreciated. I wasn't sure if people went smaller for 100k. Thank you again for your help. :)

October is the goal.

Thanks for the advice on everything! Breaking them in is definitely great advice!
also, I was surprised at how much trail supply there is on the Camino itself in various shoe stores in towns. And in general, I think they are less expensive there. On the downside, they’re brand new, so they’re risky, but rest assured that if whatever you have isn’t working, there are usually options you can buy there and for cheaper.

Thx! I love my Keen shoes & find them very comfortable for hiking so I may just go with those!

Going to try backpacks on soon so your advice is much appreciated. I wasn't sure if people went smaller for 100k. Thank you again for your help. :)
If you think about it, what items would you need for a longer distance that you would not want to take for a week? Maybe you could make a guess about the weather for one week in advance, but in Galicia at most times of year, you will still want to have some rain gear and something for a cool evening!

Breaking them in is definitely great advice!
Modern athletic shoes don't really need "breaking in." They should be perfectly comfortable from the start - they will never improve. Your feet might get used to some minor issues on the shoes, but those minor issues are likely to become major after 15-20 km. That is why you should test them with some walks of 15-20 km. I like to prove a new shoe model in training over several hundred km. Then I get a new pair for the Camino, testing it for 2 or 3 good walks to make sure there isn't a manufacturing variation or flaw on that particular new pair.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will need 2 changes of clothes. One for day and one for evening. Some people just wear the same thing day or night. Your backpack needs to accommodate your sleeping gear and your clothes and any personal medications, snacks, and toiletries. My pack is 42 liters to accommodate my CPAP machine and a light down sleeping bag.

I wear a midheight Gortex Boot in the winter and non gortex trail runners in the summer. Hope that helps.

You don't need much. I did Sarria to Santiago twice in the last year (one summer, one winter). Fewer things open in winter but still plenty of infrastructure for pilgrims.

Last edited:
If you haven't already purchased a pack, I have recommended a rule of thumb that will help you get into the right size range. First, take your walking weight (in kg), halve that and that number will be the size (in litres) that would be my start point. Most people will find a pack around 35 li will be adequate for a summer camino, but if you are taller or heavier than average, expect that you will need to start your search with a larger pack.

Once you have a rough idea of the size you are looking for, take the gear you have assembled with you and see if it is going to fit into the packs you are considering. This might involve a bit of to and fro about your packing list, and very deliberately reducing that to what is necessary, rather than including too many things you think are just desirable. This might be more difficult, but there are many members who will help you refine your packing list if you share it here.

Finally, fit and comfort can be more important than just getting the absolutely lightest available pack (or any other gear). While you might feel that you could tolerate a little discomfort, at the end of a day's walking, I think you would regret that. Even if it is small in the shop, at the end of the day after many hours, you are likely to regret it. You will regret it even more on the second, third and each day after that!

edit: personal recommendations from others wrt pack size are of little real value if you don't know how tall they are and how much they weigh. You need to know whether someone is sufficiently similar in size to you to make any comparisons relevant.

Gather the things that you think that you want to take with you and put them into a backpack.

Put on the backpack with all your things in it and go for a long walk, preferably around 25klms then return home.

When you get home take out everything and discard the things that you now understand are just adding weight to your hips and back and that have very little extra value.

Repack the backpack and on another day repeat the walk

Repeat this process until you are comfortable walking 25klms with your backpack.

Along the way realise that the backpack also contributes to the weight that you carry and so consider a lighter (and perhaps smaller) backpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would take same gear whether for 100k or 1000K Camino. Pack is Osprey Talon 33 liter, and shoes are Brooks Ghost trail runners. Suggest you hike a few 25-30 km days consecutively with your boots and then try it with sneakers. ....wearing them all day in the house and for regular routine does not count. Only you can determine which is most comfortable.

If you think about it, what items would you need for a longer distance that you would not want to take for a week? Maybe you could make a guess about the weather for one week in advance, but in Galicia at most times of year, you will still want to have some rain gear and something for a cool evening!

Modern athletic shoes don't really need "breaking in." They should be perfectly comfortable from the start - they will never improve. Your feet might get used to some minor issues on the shoes, but those minor issues are likely to become major after 15-20 km. That is why you should test them with some walks of 15-20 km. I like to prove a new shoe model in training over several hundred km. Then I get a new pair for the Camino, testing it for 2 or 3 good walks to make sure there isn't a manufacturing variation or flaw on that particular new pair.
Totally agree that there is no need to break in trail runners. I have huge feet and can't buy shoes here in Mexico where I live. I order my Brooks Cascadias online and have them shipped to my daughter's house in Brooklyn where I visit before and after my caminos. I will wear them once or twice to make sure there are no defects in my Brooks and then I put them on when I am going to the airport. Maybe I am lucky but I haven't had a blister since 2015. The blister I am sure was caused by some socks I bought when I left one of my two pairs in an albergue. You don't need Gortex and you certainly do not need boots from Sarria. My own scientific studies (based on my eyes ;)) has shown me that people in boots get more and often more severe blisters than people in trail runners. As I walk in colder months I haven't seen anyone in sandals in years. I bet they are the number 1 non blister choice of any footwear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
wearing them all day in the house and for regular routine does not count.
This is true, even if the total steps is the same. To get a good idea, you need a couple of consecutive 20 km walks when the foot swells, sweats, and doesn't have so much time to recover from very slight irritations or pressure points that you might not notice with regular wear.

There‘s Camino packing lists all over the internet. I tried the one from stingynomads.com and it worked well for me. As for backpacks: if your stuff fits in one between 35 and 45 Liters you should be fine. Personally love the Osprey Kestrel/Kyte series.

You will need 2 changes of clothes. One for day and one for evening. Some people just wear the same thing day or night. Your backpack needs to accommodate your sleeping gear and your clothes and any personal medications, snacks, and toiletries. My pack is 42 liters to accommodate my CPAP machine and a light down sleeping bag.

I wear a midheight Gortex Boot in the winter and non gortex trail runners in the summer. Hope that helps.

You don't need much. I did Sarria to Santiago twice in the last year (one summer, one winter). Fewer things open in winter but still plenty of infrastructure for pilgrims.
Perfect! Thx. Feeling good about our decision to do this route if you did it twice in one year! Must be good!!! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you haven't already purchased a pack, I have recommended a rule of thumb that will help you get into the right size range. First, take your walking weight (in kg), halve that and that number will be the size (in litres) that would be my start point. Most people will find a pack around 35 li will be adequate for a summer camino, but if you are taller or heavier than average, expect that you will need to start your search with a larger pack.

Once you have a rough idea of the size you are looking for, take the gear you have assembled with you and see if it is going to fit into the packs you are considering. This might involve a bit of to and fro about your packing list, and very deliberately reducing that to what is necessary, rather than including too many things you think are just desirable. This might be more difficult, but there are many members who will help you refine your packing list if you share it here.

Finally, fit and comfort can be more important than just getting the absolutely lightest available pack (or any other gear). While you might feel that you could tolerate a little discomfort, at the end of a day's walking, I think you would regret that. Even if it is small in the shop, at the end of the day after many hours, you are likely to regret it. You will regret it even more on the second, third and each day after that!

edit: personal recommendations from others wrt pack size are of little real value if you don't know how tall they are and how much they weigh. You need to know whether someone is sufficiently similar in size to you to make any comparisons relevant.
Yes, thanks! I plan on going to the stores which assist with appropriate sizing assistance! I was just curious what size it seems most use. Thx, again. Great advice!

Perfect! Thx. Feeling good about our decision to do this route if you did it twice in one year! Must be good!!! :)
I did it in the summer to recon for a trip with university students over the winter holidays. Same terrain, but two entirely different atmospheres. Everything open in summer and lots of people, very little open in winter and few other pilgrims. Summer hot and muggy with a few showers and winter it rained most days.

Some things to try to see if you have time, Vilar de Donas church before Palas. Pembre Castle is a cab ride from either Palas or Melide. Iron age hill fort reconstruction between Portomarin and Palas.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.