• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Europe after the Camino, leaving Santiago

cloud86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago: August - September 2013

Camino de Santiago: August - September 2019
Hi everyone,

I have two weeks to explore Europe after completing the Camino before going home, I have one of two plans at the start! from your own experiences what would be the best and cheapest way out of Santiago?

Option A, would be to bus it back to Santiago from finisterre and then get a coach to Porto in Portugal spend a day or two there, just to sight see! and then fly to Rome, inter rail through Italy for a week, spend a few days in Switzerland and baden baden in the black forest Germany.
Before coming full circle and ending back in Paris to fly home.

Option B, is pretty much the same other than I fly to Barcelona and catch a connecting flight to Rome. I’m going to Germany and Italy especially, as I’ve been writing a novel trilogy for some time and thought it would be cool to actually go to some of the locations and soak in the experience. P.s what are some of the cheapest ways of inter railing through Europe. I’ve shopped around and found the cheapest multi country ticket for £240 http://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail- ... obal-pass/

Any help or advice would be great thanks.

From Craig

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Craig,

My suggestion would be to go to Portugal for a bit since you are close by. Logistically it makes sense as Portugal is far away from the other countries. If you ever wanted to do another trip (not knowing where you're from), going to Portugal might be "out of the way" or you could make it a sole destination which would be totally worth it. Spending more than a couple of days is great as there is much to see, but I understand your writing motivation.

I did this after walking the Camino Norte and had a great experience. In 2.5 weeks, I got as far as Lisbon. Looking forward to going back to continue.

It was easy to bus from Fisterra->SdC->Porto all in one go. I like option-A.

When do you walk?

Cheers,
Simeon

Porto is indeed close by and Portugal is not Spain despite many similarities. Barcelona is a personal favorite, should the town loose it charms, Montserrat a good day trip and remember your credencial and get it stamped at the cathedral in Barcelona and on the mountain, part of your trip no? Gerona is a place to see what the Catalunyian revolution is all about. Your remaining plans are a bit enthusiastic requiring some rather deep pockets. One warning, leaving the Camino results in instant culture shock wherever you may decide. Porto is a largish place but has a small town feel. Rome and indeed Barcelona will be overwhelming. One last word, train travel in Germany may cost as much as flying so plan well, buses often are not an option. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
cloud86 said:
Hi everyone,

I have two weeks to explore Europe after completing the Camino before going home, I have one of two plans at the start! from your own experiences what would be the best and cheapest way out of Santiago?

P.s what are some of the cheapest ways of inter railing through Europe. I’ve shopped around and found the cheapest multi country ticket for £240 http://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail- ... obal-pass/

Any help or advice would be great thanks.

When?

Neither plan sounds cheap. Nor do they sound like you'll see anything but bus/train stations.

IMHO pick one or two maybe three cities and stay for a while.

Train pass tend to be for suckers. If you book in advance train tickets in Italy are very cheap for 2nd class. Even if you don't ÂŁ240 will get you a fair bit of train travel. More then two weeks worth I think.

Cheapest way to travel is often flying. Especially if you're time is limited.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid ChamartĂ­n early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back