• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cruise Ship After the Camino

JRSUZ

Time of past OR future Camino
If wanted to catch a Cruise Ship to go to Greece where would the closest Port be to board? Also, any recommendations on Cruise liners to use? Thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This may sound a little brutal, so be it. This is a forum about being on the Camino, not what you do after it. If you wish to go on a sea cruise, that is your affair. I hope you enjoy it.

If wanted to catch a Cruise Ship to go to Greece where would the closest Port be to board? Also, any recommendations on Cruise liners to use? Thanks in advance
We have done this very thing last year. We took a Norweigen Cruise for 12 days from Barcelona to Rome which included Greece. 12 day cruise which cost less than staying in Barcelona. It was fantastic!. But you have to take a ferry from back to Barcelona for the trip home. In our case, a transatlantic to Port Canaveral in Florida, again very inexpensive

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I actually just did this...finished the Camino in June, stayed 2 days in Santiago, took trains to Barcelona, stayed 2 days there, then caught an NCL cruise from Barc. You can also fly to Barcelona from SDC. Greece was not on our cruise itinerary but I'm sure it is on some. It was an amazing journey all around, I wouldn't change a thing.

I actually just did this...finished the Camino in June, stayed 2 days in Santiago, took trains to Barcelona, stayed 2 days there, then caught an NCL cruise from Barc. You can also fly to Barcelona from SDC. Greece was not on our cruise itinerary but I'm sure it is on some. It was an amazing journey all around, I wouldn't change a thing.
I agree. Well worth the time and Money

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We've cruised out of Barcelona (crossing back to the US) after caminos twice and enjoyed it both times. Barcelona is a pretty big cruise port so there are lots of ships and lots of choices.

Not sure why there is some resistance to discussing this on the forum; how you decompress after a camino is certainly discussed a lot. For us, a cruise was a great way to relax and contemplate our caminos.

Barcelona, Lisbon, Rome. All easy to get to from Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One issue is dress/appearance. We don’t want to subject non-pilgrim passengers to our pilgrim rather unkempt appearance (and, at least in my case, odor). Fortunately it is easy to find a cheap shirt, jacket and tie in Barcelona, my wife always has a little (nearly weightless) black dress in her pack, and the ship had a barber and hair dresser. Here are pictures of us coming on board and then headed to dinner that night.

Attachments

• IMG_5967.jpeg
    IMG_5967.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5969.jpeg
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5988.jpeg
    IMG_5988.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 56
I have taken a med cruise out of Barcelona.
Also, a past forum member recently took a train to Ravenna, Italy to take a cruise from there to Greece and beyond when her Camino in Italy was cut short from a debilitating knee injury.

One issue is dress/appearance. We don’t want to subject non-pilgrim passengers to our pilgrim rather unkempt appearance (and, at least in my case, odor). Fortunately it is easy to find a cheap shirt, jacket and tie in Barcelona, my wife always has a little (nearly weightless) black dress in her pack, and the ship had a barber and hair dresser. Here are pictures of us coming on board and then headed to dinner that night.

View attachment 152766View attachment 152767View attachment 152768View attachment 152769
Perfect

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And its better than flying....!😁

Very quick answer: some ships stop in A Coruna and/or Vigo. However, they're mostly round-Iberia cruises and you'd somehow have to transfer, to get to Greece.

We jumped ship in Vigo, at the end of a cruise like this, to go on into Portugal. But complicated.

As noted, probably best to ask a travel agent.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are thinking seriously about a transatlantic after walking the Le Puy route this fall. There are lot's of interesting cruises right around the time we will finish. And yes plan to buy a few things to wear like I do anyway. A month and a half in the same two outfits and variations thereof always gets tiring. Santiago has some great stores.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.