• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Return To Canada after Camino

La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi to All,

My flight to europe will be Montréal-Paris and then trains to SJPDP. My concerns is how I will return to Montréal- Canada after my Camino. I will doing th Francès from SJPDP to Santiago. Any tips, suggestions, advices or opinions ?

ps: I will finish my Camino around the 10th of june 2024.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two possibilities: From Santiago, take a bus or train to Porto, then AirTransat back to Montreal. Another possibility: Go to Lisbon and take a plane to Montreal after stop-over in Toronto. A website to visit would be Rome2Rio, amongst others which offer differents routes and carriers. Remember: there's always solutions! Ultreia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi to All,

My flight to europe will be Montréal-Paris and then trains to SJPDP. My concerns is how I will return to Montréal- Canada after my Camino. I will doing th Francès from SJPDP to Santiago. Any tips, suggestions, advices or opinions ?
What is your return date?

About the 10 of june 2024
I can see a direct MAD to YUL for that date at £222 @1425, booking direct on Air Transat. You will need to add luggage I guess @£55 per bag. Or booking with bag @£273 which gives you an option to change for a €75 fee and price difference in fare class. Pretty much the same fare for the 12th June from Madrid.

Always loads of options but that seems the ‘cleanest’. Best to get bus or train to Madrid day before.

Slightly higher fare from BCN to YUL on 11 June,

Pretty good fares, and great schedule, so you may want to book quickly.

I’ve not looked but I would guess that direct flights from Paris to Montreal would be very pricey.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Choices are (simplest to most complicated) train to Madrid, MAD to YUL (Air Canada or Air Transat-- if the latter, note that their seats are very small unless you fly Premium Economy); train & bus to Lisbon, then LIS to YUL; train to Madrid, then MAD to CDG to YUL; Madrid by train to Barcelona, or by SDC to BCN, then to YUL;

As others suggest, get to Madrid the day before your flight. There are many economical (well, for Madrid) hotels in the Barajas neighbourhood near the airport. You can reach the airport by métro or many of the hotels can arrange a seat on a shuttle.

Good advice already about Air Transat. Porto is a delightful small city and worth a visit. Madrid is bigger but with two great museums. We've returned from both.

If you park long term in Montreal, I wouldn't park at the airport hotels. Theft of late model SUVs and high end cars does take place there. We reserve in advance at the long term area within the airport grounds.

I had no return flight booked when I finished my camino early june last year. I took a bus to Porto and flight to Montreal as it was the most convenient and cheapest at the time. All the other possible ways were more expensive.

Good advice given above. Buen camino and safe return back home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ryanair has cheap flights from Santiago to Dublin and London so you may want to check airfares from those places back to Montreal (because, you know, it won't take much time to check out fares from Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona and Paris).

I like the Santiago to Dublin suggestion. I did it on reverse in 2019. When in Dublin get in touch with Irish Camino organization, they are very friendly. I stayed at Trinity College.

I was returning to Toronto but it’s a simple bus ride from Santiago to Porto where I enjoyed a few day being a tourist in this great city. I then flew home direct on Air Transat which likely flies direct to Montreal as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Choices are (simplest to most complicated) train to Madrid, MAD to YUL (Air Canada or Air Transat-- if the latter, note that their seats are very small unless you fly Premium Economy); train & bus to Lisbon, then LIS to YUL; train to Madrid, then MAD to CDG to YUL; Madrid by train to Barcelona, or by SDC to BCN, then to YUL;

As others suggest, get to Madrid the day before your flight. There are many economical (well, for Madrid) hotels in the Barajas neighbourhood near the airport. You can reach the airport by métro or many of the hotels can arrange a seat on a shuttle.
Or stay in a hostel in Madrid, which you will be used to by that point. Book ahead.

I had no return flight booked when I finished my camino early june last year. I took a bus to Porto and flight to Montreal as it was the most convenient and cheapest at the time. All the other possible ways were more expensive.

Good advice given above. Buen camino and safe return back home.
So I don't have a returned flight booked either after my Camino because I am not sure how long it will take me. But I was wondering when entering a country if you must show a booked return flight

I have done the YUL>CDG to get to Spain/Portugal many times and have always returned one of two ways: SDC>OPO>YUL (direct with Transat) or SDC>BCN>YUL (direct with Transat). Transat always has direct flights from Porto and Barcelona and they are reasonably priced, even when you book the return last minute once you're done (as I have often done). I prefer BCN bc I love that city, but both options are excellent and don't demand flying through YYZ, which is a hassle. You can also bus or train from SDC to Porto (rather than flying), although I've never done it myself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So I don't have a returned flight booked either after my Camino because I am not sure how long it will take me. But I was wondering when entering a country if you must show a booked return flight
Depends where you're entering. I have never once been asked for proof of return when arriving in Paris (flying from Canada, but entering on a US passport).

Two possibilities: From Santiago, take a bus or train to Porto, then AirTransat back to Montreal.
I've used the Air Transat flight back from Porto to Montreal. Good flight. Leaves early, but not too early, in morning, if still same schedule from last year. Good hotel walking distance from fairly small airport, with very early morning breakfast.

Was a good way to travel back to Canada!

This was the hotel: breakfast starting at 4 am!

Last edited:
Hi To All,

Thanks for your inputs, I Finished to book my flights. I Choose Montréal - Paris (Round-Trip) and then Santiago to Paris. I Found this is for me the simplest way to plan and to reduce my time flight. Time now to reserve my trains to SJPDP and the first albergues.

Thanks to to all again, we have an great community here !, I will back on the Camino !

La Brique.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you need to get to Paris, Vueling has a direct flight from Santiago. There may be other airlines now as well.
I will using typically your suggestion, thanks to inspiring me.

Salut! I might be too late in responding! Perhaps for your next Camino you could fly Air Transat but choose the multi destination tab. I have booked this from Toronto - Lisbon, Madrid -Toronto. with A.Transat and it was not expensive. I have also booked AT from Toronto - Madrid, Porto - Toronto at an excellent price. Another multi flight with AT was Toronto - Faro, Madrid Toronto. AT has many affordable options. Also I saw a few interesting multi destination with AT. from Toronto to Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille all via MTL. Bon chemin et buen Camino.

Salut! I might be too late in responding! Perhaps for your next Camino you could fly Air Transat but choose the multi destination tab. I have booked this from Toronto - Lisbon, Madrid -Toronto. with A.Transat and it was not expensive. I have also booked AT from Toronto - Madrid, Porto - Toronto at an excellent price. Another multi flight with AT was Toronto - Faro, Madrid Toronto. AT has many affordable options. Also I saw a few interesting multi destination with AT. from Toronto to Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille all via MTL. Bon chemin et buen Camino.

Bonjour, Last time I book my return flight in the last days of the camino, I had to go to switzerland and come back. Long story short, I think I had a day a 21 hours 😴 All my flights are set up now. YUL-CDG, SCQ-PARIS,CDG-YUL..and I now speak in morse code.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi to All,

Have you given thought to flying or taking the train to Porto, Portugal then direct, unless you stay a couple of days. Beautiful city!

Depends where you're entering. I have never once been asked for proof of return when arriving in Paris (flying from Canada, but entering on a US passport).
There is something about your passport not expiring within 6 months of your flight out of Canada

Hi to All,

The first two times I flew in and out of Paris. Then I realized that multi city tickets are basically the same price as returning from the same airport.

And I love Porto.

So now I fly Montreal to Madrid, then Porto to Montreal. Porto is an easy 2-3 hr bus ride from Santiago

Last year after finishing the Primitivo in SdC, I had lots of time left over so I walked from SdC to the Porto Airport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi to All,

I always bus it to Porto or Lisbon from Santiago (cheap and good service) and take a one way Air Transat home to Montreal. Always works vs booking a return ticket with different departure cities.

The first two times I flew in and out of Paris. Then I realized that multi city tickets are basically the same price as returning from the same airport.

And I love Porto.

So now I fly Montreal to Madrid, then Porto to Montreal. Porto is an easy 2-3 hr bus ride from Santiago

Last year after finishing the Primitivo in SdC, I had lots of time left over so I walked from SdC to the Porto Airport.
Me too!

There is something about your passport not expiring within 6 months of your flight out of Canada
Yes, you definitely have to have a passport with at least 6 months of validity to enter most countries. The question of whether you have to have a return flight or not isn't linked to that, though - you can still enter without a return flight if your passport is valid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi to All,

Fly back from santiago to paris...easy enough and decent price

In 2017, I flew in via Bordeaux on Air Transat, and returned to Montreal by taking a train to Vigo and a short flight to Lisbon and then AT to Montreal the next day. The Porto flights were not running in October.
Good luck.

Hi to All,

I flew Santiago to Dublin for 42 euros, and home to Toronto from there. I imagine there are flights from Dublin to Montreal

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back